News | West Virginia

West Virginia Town Business Welcomes Gay Climbers by Showing They're Sexy and They Know It: VIDEO

Waterstone

Next week is the annual Homoclimbtastic convention in Fayetteville, West Virginia which has grown to 120 registered attendees.

You might not think that West Virginia would be such a welcoming place for a big group of gay climbers, but Waterstone Outdoors, a local rock-climbing and outdoor gear business, has gone all out (and taken it almost all off) to welcome the group. Straight-to-gay marketing at its most relaxed.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Mister Hot Green dresses on the left. The rest is just a blur...

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jul 17, 2012 9:12:27 AM

2. seems like a cool place. the three guys to the right in the window display (disgay?) have HOT bodies

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 17, 2012 9:18:19 AM

3. The businesses in Fayetteville have been very good to us at Homoclimbtastic.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jul 17, 2012 9:20:54 AM

4. glad to see a straight business work it

Posted by: trj | Jul 17, 2012 9:28:56 AM

5. glad to see a straight business work it

Posted by: trj | Jul 17, 2012 9:29:01 AM

6. Frickin' Awesome.

Posted by: Brad | Jul 17, 2012 9:30:31 AM

7. Nice job. I always appreciate when people make an effort. Straght or gay they support Homoclimbtastic so we should support them. It is funny to see straight people playing gay (even if it is a bit over-the-top. What was with the dog leashes?)

Posted by: adam | Jul 17, 2012 9:36:26 AM

8. very cool - but what is the "NOM" sticker i see on the window of the store? it's gotta mean something else, right?

Posted by: pc | Jul 17, 2012 9:41:45 AM

9. I believe the sticker is a play on "Om nom nom." and has nothing to do with the National Org. for Marriage.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jul 17, 2012 9:55:31 AM

10. The "NOM" sticker is for the Vandalian restaurant which is a major supporter of HomoClimbtastic.

A full size image of the sticker can be found at:

Posted by: Roger | Jul 17, 2012 9:58:21 AM

11. you're saying none of these people are guy? that is clearly not true

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 17, 2012 10:14:29 AM

12. Rockin' gang.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 17, 2012 10:22:45 AM

13. The LGBT skiing and snowboarding club, Ski Bums, gets a warm welcome in all sorts of tiny mountain towns across the USA. Jackson Hole (Wyoming), Killington (Vermont), Park City (Utah) and Mammoth Lakes (California) are just a few examples. Towns which are devoted to outdoor sports really pride themselves on being warm and welcoming to a diverse crowd; that's certainly been my experience. This is excellent.

Posted by: Chris F | Jul 17, 2012 10:28:18 AM

14. So cheesy, but fantastic! I think some of those kids were having too much fun!

Posted by: bill | Jul 17, 2012 10:37:33 AM

15. Awesome! I'm not a climber, but they must have some gear I can use! Do they have mail order?

Posted by: DMM18Nov | Jul 17, 2012 10:53:49 AM

16. This is wicked, shameless, sinful, wrong, bad for young people and...oh I can't think of all the other reasons to be there.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 17, 2012 11:02:42 AM

17. They have an online store:

Posted by: Roger | Jul 17, 2012 11:32:32 AM

18. Um, can I just mail order Mr. Green Pants? I've got something he can climb on

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 17, 2012 11:37:49 AM

19. Proof "straight" Christians can act gay to get gays to do what they want them to do.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 17, 2012 11:42:14 AM

20. I wish more gay guys were into serious backpacking. In all my years on the backcountry trails, my gaydar has detected nothing in my encounters with other serious outdoors types. Well, one park ranger in Alberta, but that is about it.

Even the Sundance club in New York, which is supposed to be all about the outdoors, does mainly ski trips and day hikes--and socials--and I found it disappointing.

I have trekked all the world's major mountain ranges, so if any of the rest of you have, as well, I would like to hear about it. Ditto for rock climbers or ice climbers or kayakers--even though I don't do those things, I think they are cool and sexy, but the only guys I know who do them are straight.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2012 11:45:36 AM

21. Ha! What a hoot! And wow! It appears that coal mining does great things for a man's physique. Har har.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 17, 2012 12:01:08 PM

22. Wow, check out those gay-friendly abs. Nice job, Waterstone!

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jul 17, 2012 12:42:55 PM

23. Love it! As a WVian, I am very proud that a business in my state is doing this

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jul 17, 2012 1:06:10 PM

24. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I could NOT stop laughing. THAT WAS AMAZINGLY and uncomfortably funny!

Posted by: Patrick | Jul 17, 2012 1:29:12 PM

25. It's surprising, but shouldn't be, considering West Virginia exists because it supported the oppressed, choosing not to side with the rest of Virginia in seceding over slavery.

Posted by: jimstoic | Jul 17, 2012 1:30:09 PM