Ezra Miller | I'm Gay | News

Actor Ezra Miller: 'I'm Queer'

Ezra_miller

Actor Ezra Miller, who played Tilda Swinton's son Kevin (above) in We Need to Talk About Kevin, and plays a gay character in the upcoming Perks of Being a Wallflower, comes out of the closet in an interview with OUT:

“I’m queer. I have a lot of really wonderful friends who are of very different sexes and genders. I am very much in love with no one in particular. I’ve been trying to figure out relationships, you know? I don’t know if it’s responsible for kids of my age to be so aggressively pursuing monogamous binds, because I don’t think we’re ready for them. The romanticism within our culture dictates that that’s what you’re supposed to be looking for. Then [when] we find what we think is love -- even if it is love -- we do not yet have the tools. I do feel that it’s possible to be at this age unintentionally hurtful, just by being irresponsible -- which is fine. I’m super down with being irresponsible. I’m just trying to make sure my lack of responsibility no longer hurts people. That’s where I’m at in the boyfriend/girlfriend/zefriend type of question.”

Comments

1. I know it is terrible to say, but generally I find people who identify as "queer" to be insufferable pseudo-intellectuals.

Posted by: testington | Aug 15, 2012 6:33:02 PM

2. He was fun to watch in "City Island", and excellently creepy in '... Kevin'. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in more things.

To younger guys 'queer' doesn't have the 'radical nelly' connotation it might for older guys. To younger guys it means 'freaky/different/non-mainstream' maybe even 'kinky/fetishy'. "Gay" has become kind of normal/mainstream and sometimes implies things that kids who identify as 'queer' don't feel fits them.

Posted by: jexer | Aug 15, 2012 7:40:29 PM

3. I don't give a damn if he's gay, straight, bi, queer, whatever--I just want him to stop smirking so much when he's supposed to be acting. His performance in "We Need To Talk About Kevin" (admittedly a terrible movie across the boards, despite Tilda Swinton's valiant efforts) was broadly hammy, and the snippets I've seen of him in the trailer for "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" have him hammering home every line like an amateur. (I did like him in "City Island," so there's hope.)

Posted by: Dback | Aug 15, 2012 8:48:26 PM

4. Ezra Miller, Paul Rudd, and Logan Lerman - three hot Jews in one
    movie. This is the male version of Black Swan.

Posted by: meed | Aug 15, 2012 9:43:10 PM

5. @Jeff NYC - I think that was my biggest laugh all day. Thank you. ;-)

Posted by: scudpipe | Aug 15, 2012 10:33:07 PM

6. I love his comment about monogamous binds! Kevin for class president.

Posted by: marks | Aug 15, 2012 10:38:44 PM

7. Monogamy is irresponsible? Wot?

Posted by: Eric26 | Aug 15, 2012 11:26:56 PM

8. Ha! A female student told me how she tried unsuccessfully to flirt with him at a film festival after-party. Now we know why.

Posted by: Colin | Aug 16, 2012 3:37:29 AM

9. For once, the great Google let me down, what is a "zefriend"? Thanks.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 16, 2012 1:22:45 PM

10. I've been self-identifying as Queer, as well as gay, for years. It's empowering.
    From a different point of view, unique, unusual, not common.

It's not self-abuse to find strength in not blending in :)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 16, 2012 1:26:00 PM

11. @TESTINGTON

If I'm one finished thesis away from a master's degree, am I still a pseudo-intellectual?

Posted by: Dan B | Aug 24, 2012 1:21:20 PM

12. I miss his character on Royal Pains.

Posted by: Palmer | Aug 24, 2012 2:55:38 PM

13. Dan, the fact that you claim to have no respect for anyone who calls themselves "queer" shows you to be *really* narrow-minded and ignorant.
    Are you not aware that there is just as much variety and difference amongst people who identify as queer, as there is amongst those who identify as "gay", "lesbian", "bisexual" or "straight". There are "queer" folk who are rich, poor, white, black, Asian, conservative, liberal, serious, carefree, young, old, etcetera, etcetera.
    You not liking the word and/or its connotations is a problem that *you* need to deal with, because no-one else is going to bother accommodating your prejudice(s). And until another word comes along that means "not conforming to acceptable, or currently available, categories of identity", then people will continue to use "queer" and the number of people using "queer" will continue to grow :)

Posted by: Jack | Aug 26, 2012 5:35:34 AM

14. Did he talk to Grand Dame Rupert Everett first? It seems not. Perhaps he had a tête à tête with Zachary Qunito. This can only be a good thing.

Now I've got to go and find this Kevin moive...

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 21, 2012 9:28:48 AM

15. You know, I just Knew It..., His Hair is far too fabulous...

Posted by: Bill Michael | Nov 20, 2012 5:59:56 AM

16. He's really cute.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Dec 17, 2012 4:15:19 AM

17. Why analyze it? It's not your life and you will probably never be involved in his.

Posted by: Mykelb | Dec 18, 2012 9:36:41 AM

18. @MYKELB
    Yes, I know, I know, in real life he probably wouldn't pull it out to piss on me.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Dec 25, 2012 2:23:28 AM