News | Republican Party | Todd Akin

BigGayDeal.com

Rep. Todd Akin Insists He 'Misspoke' About 'Legitimate Rape': VIDEO

Rove

Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) says he"misspoke" in an interview over the weekend, in which he said:

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

AkinInsisted Akin in a later statement:

"As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault.  In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year.  Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

"I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue.  But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.

Writes Right Wing Watch:

Akin is a beloved figure of the Religious Right, and his campaign advertises endorsements from Concerned Women for America activists and activists like Mike Huckabee, Phyllis Schlafly, Michele Bachmann and David Barton. Barton, who recorded campaign ads calling Akin a “true Christian leader,” has compared Akin to John Witherspoon and other founding fathers. American Family Association spokesman Bryan Fischer, who hosted Akin on his radio show the day after the congressman’s primary victory, said people need to “lighten up” about his rape comments

Scott Brown called on Akin to resign from his Senate race:

"As a husband and father of two young women, I found Todd Akin's comments about women and rape outrageous, inappropriate and wrong. There is no place in our public discourse for this type of offensive thinking. Not only should he apologize, but I believe Rep. Akin's statement was so far out of bounds that he should resign the nomination for US Senate in Missouri."

Karl Rove told FOX News Akin "has some real explaining to do."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Usual Republican tactic: If caught saying something offensive, stupid, or -usually- both, act all indignant and say you were misquoted or taken out of context.

The GOP does more back-pedaling than the Tour De France in reverse.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 20, 2012 1:12:38 PM

2. Nonsense. He meant every word of it. Any apology he could possibly offer would be fake.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 20, 2012 1:42:01 PM

3. Well, so much for the Republicans taking the senate in November....thanks to this legitimate idiot.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 20, 2012 1:54:44 PM

4. The very rare pro-rape candidate? I take it by "legitimate rape" that he means "in those occasional circumstances when the women isn't lying". So, he first believes that women routinely lie about being raped and second they can somehow automatically abort these fetuses naturally. That's strange enough, but if he is so pro-life, why does he want the fetuses to be still-born?? It seems like he's all for abortion when done by nature or God, just not when done by man. That seems very haphazard and poorly thought out.

Posted by: anon | Aug 20, 2012 4:11:18 PM

5. To say we're gleeful today is an understatement. I think Claire was doing backflips with her hubby's private jet this morning. And I've heard Carl Rove is pulling 5m in ads for Akin. i know, too much of a good thing.

And then Kansas' own Aaron Schrockish rep, Kevin Yoder, was skinny-dipping in Jesus' swimming pool. I'm hoping for video on this one.

Posted by: kansastock | Aug 20, 2012 4:22:46 PM

6. baloney! he said what he meant and meant what he said; these folks have to make their belief systems fit their idiotology; it is not only insulting and insensitive to women, but their biology is wrong on male/female penetration; these are the same folks that want abstinence vs. safe sex education taught in the schools; this shows they don't even have the basic understanding of male/female intercourse and their lack of mainstream science and research; yet, these folks are elected over and over again and make public policy

Posted by: Bernie | Aug 20, 2012 6:47:24 PM

7. When did it become pro forma for political candidates, senile preachers and anybody else in public life to follow up some ugly, ignorant, outrageous and stupid comment by claiming to have "mis-stated", then back pedaling to clarify the true and actual meaning?

I could respect some of these people sometimes if they stuck by what they said. They'd be no more acceptable among human beings, but I could let them roll along without adding additional contempt to their small souls.

Posted by: gregory brown | Aug 20, 2012 6:48:34 PM

8. I guess "legitimate rape" would be like what, a husband raping his wife, right ?

Just trying to understand what he thought he meant...

If that's even possible.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 20, 2012 7:06:49 PM

9. Please Republicans, keep this bright man as your Senate candidate. Wink! Wink!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 20, 2012 8:52:17 PM

10. It's sad but true that some of the Religious Right still believe a husband cannot rape his wife because she automatically consents through marriage. There even used to be laws which enforced this concept.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 21, 2012 10:18:38 AM