2012 Election | News | Republican National Convention | Republican Party | Tampa | weather

As Tropical Storm Isaac Aims at Tampa, Mayor Says He'll Cancel Republican Convention if Need Be

Isaac

With Tropical Storm Isaac forecast to approach South Florida by Monday morning, the mayor of Tampa, Bob Buckhorn, says he'll cancel the Republican National Convention if need be:

“Obviously public safety is going to trump politics,” Bob Buckhorn said on CNN’s “Starting Point.” “If we had to make that decision to cancel or to postpone or move the convention, we will do that knowing full well that my obligation and the city’s obligation is to move people out of harm’s way. The politics will take care of itself.”

But why would God do such a thing?

Comments

1. The Lord works in Mysterious Ways!

Posted by: Mickey | Aug 22, 2012 2:02:43 PM

2. God's showing His displeasure already! And they haven't even begun!

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Aug 22, 2012 2:05:38 PM

3. God is trying to kill the republicans.

Posted by: Solomon | Aug 22, 2012 2:06:37 PM

4. Where's Pat Robertson on this one? Nothing? Go figure.

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 22, 2012 2:10:14 PM

5. I want to know who is going to be the first nut job to blame the LGBT Community if the hurricane hits Tampa.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 22, 2012 2:13:02 PM

6. My dad and stepmom live in Tampa. And they are most certainly NOT Republicans.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 22, 2012 2:14:53 PM

7. Re: But why would God do such a thing?

Well it could be that the name Isaac means "He laughs"

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 22, 2012 2:15:32 PM

8. That would be delish!

Posted by: Astro Boy | Aug 22, 2012 2:27:11 PM

9. It won't hit Tampa. Hurricanes almost always change course and/or drift to the west as they enter the Gulf. Tampa hasn't gotten a direct hit from a hurricane in ages.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 22, 2012 2:28:12 PM

10. " I think I am starting to understand some of the logic"

1- The Red States presently in a drought- because of Activist Judges and "Big Gay" finally have been advised by Pat to pray for rain - today's news

2- Issac the Son of Abraham -or the possible hurricane will be prayed away FROM Tampa to
    rain in these areas.-even though most of the crops are practically lost already.

3- The GOP convention will take place because of their prayers.

4- While doing so: Any kind and or form or Abortion and or the woman's right to choose will accepted and hence "more normal babies" will be brought fourth.

5- Assuming the GOP wins.....and more babies are born........New local community groups will be formed to "weed the possible
    GLBT children out" and sent away....to Camps.....across international boarders...
    along with those that have already been corralled.

OR.....there will be an influx of persons and industries in areas of the U.S that support total tolerance and those persons who are GLBT.

I dunno......

Posted by: anthony | Aug 22, 2012 2:29:21 PM

11. I read that there's only a 1-3% chance it'll hit Tampa.

Pray people, pray.

Posted by: dms | Aug 22, 2012 2:35:43 PM

12. any hope it will hit the convention center the night of the nomination?

Posted by: walter | Aug 22, 2012 2:44:37 PM

13. My computer-generated projections show the storm intensifying and becoming the first category six hurricane record. My computer models indicate that it will arrive in Tampa on Monday morning and remain stalled over Tampa the entire week, dousing the region with more than 40 inches or rain and sustained winds over 100 mph for the entire week.

Posted by: dan cobb | Aug 22, 2012 2:45:03 PM

14. Where's that lady that's always talking about birds dropping out of the sky? What's her name? Cindy Jacobs? Can't she do something.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 22, 2012 2:47:08 PM

15. Who needs a convention anyway? A smokey back room has always worked in the past.

Posted by: Perry | Aug 22, 2012 2:48:11 PM

16. I thank God it was not named Ishmael.

Posted by: Gus | Aug 22, 2012 2:57:13 PM

17. Can't you just hear it, Pat, Rush, and all the other nut cases saying it was the gays fault. Oh if we only had such a power – ZAP!

Posted by: Juan | Aug 22, 2012 2:59:36 PM

18. All of those closet cases have been looking forward to a big blow all year.

Posted by: mike | Aug 22, 2012 3:05:03 PM

19. I understand that if it's a legitimate hurricane, the Republicans can't be hurt by it.

Posted by: NickC | Aug 22, 2012 3:19:49 PM

20. I honestly don't know which I dread coming to town more; Isaac or Mitt and company! One will do terrible damage to my city, the other will do terrible damage to my country!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 22, 2012 4:30:39 PM

21. I'm leaving town tomorrow for the week. I feel sorry for all those left behind. You're either going to get hit by Isaac or the convention mess. Either way, Tampa's screwed next week.

Posted by: uflyguy | Aug 22, 2012 5:17:38 PM

22. The last time so many evil people were gathered in one place He had Noah build an arch for this very reason.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 22, 2012 6:07:29 PM

23. Hmmm... maybe god isn't keen on a Mormon for president.

Posted by: JohnJay | Aug 22, 2012 6:12:09 PM

24. Hmmm... maybe god isn't keen on a Mormon for president.

Posted by: JohnJay | Aug 22, 2012 6:12:09 PM