Crime | Missoula | Montana | News

Missoula, Montana Anti-Gay Hate Crime Was Fabricated: Police - VIDEO

Joseph

An update on the anti-gay assault that was reported to have happened over the weekend in Missoula, Montana.

Joseph Baken, of Billings, had reported to police that he was beaten by three men after spending the evening at the Missoula Club and asking for the location of a gay bar. Now police say they have new information they are following up on and believe that the incident was fabricated.

The Missoula Independent reports:

...the Missoula Independent and MPD obtained video footage that shows Baken doing a backflip on Higgins Avenue and sustaining the injuries, lacerations to his face, that have been depicted on social media sites, during the landing.

Baken will likely be charged for making a false report, according to police. Baken's alleged story spread quickly on the web yesterday after the Wipeout Homophobia Facebook page posted his photo.

Watch the video footage, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATED. "Joseph Baken pleaded guilty this afternoon in Missoula Municipal Court to charges of filing a false police report. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail and a $300 fine. The jail time was suspended."

Comments

1. pray that he gets a life. Right on the very first time his facial expressions made me feel something fishy, may be he just wanted to get some media related project but first he needs to get a life.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 7, 2012 6:51:54 PM

2. Any follow up on the two Texas lesbians who were shot (one died) or the lesbian from Nebraska (I think) who "survived" the attempt at burning down her home after her "attackers" has spray painted "We found you, dyke!" on the wall? The latter I believe was total make believe.

Posted by: MarkUs | Aug 7, 2012 6:52:31 PM

3. Great... just great. /facepalm

Posted by: Oz in OK | Aug 7, 2012 6:56:11 PM

4. A$$wipe! His next video should be of himself reading "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" aloud while every gay person in Missoula kicks him in the rump.

As others have said, it just introduces doubt where there shouldn't BE any, so every time you hear about a bias-attack you have to parse the details to decide if it's just another drama queen or not. In some ways these false attacks do more damage to our community than the real ones, because they make people skeptical of the real ones.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 7, 2012 6:59:27 PM

5. With ALL of the attention and sympathy that is AUTOMATICALLY given to a real gay victim (as it is deserved)...it is not surprising that someone lied...

These things will continue to happen....so stay tuned!!!

Posted by: TrueWords | Aug 7, 2012 7:01:27 PM

6. Well, he's a pretty boy and will be very popular with all the xians and republicans already in prison.

Maybe his boyfriend was already locked up?

Here's a hint, little girl, getting arrested doesn't guarantee you will wind up in the same prison as whichever loser you just threw your life away for. Hope it was worth it.

Seriously? It will be years before you realize what kind of damage these types of lies do. I don't think you're mean, evil, or malicious. I think you were drunk and young and stupid and this was the first thing that fell outta your mouth while you were trying to save your ego.

Regardless... You're gonna have some time to think about this little "Darwin Awards" entry. You better start going to the gym... Fast, while you still can.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Aug 7, 2012 7:01:48 PM

7. Had my suspicions when this was first reported. Held my tongue out of benefit of the doubt.

Kudos to the makeup department. Future looks bright.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Aug 7, 2012 7:04:19 PM

8. You do it because you are stupid. You think you can get away with it. You do it because you are going to gain ample sympathy and perhaps become (in)famous. Did I say stupid? Oh yeah, you do it because you are a total sh*twad.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Aug 7, 2012 7:05:48 PM

9. I think we have to be careful when reporting so-called anti-gay attacks. Gay Inc needs to be a bit more circumspect.

Posted by: jason | Aug 7, 2012 7:10:46 PM

10. Ditto the anger and disgust with this all too typical member of the fame whore generation. The only thing they really, really, care about is one of their many electronic gizmos going dead. He should also leave the makeup and mascara to real drag queens. They'd wipe the floor with this punk.

Posted by: Contrarian | Aug 7, 2012 7:49:14 PM

11. Perhaps there's a connection between head injury, and idiotic actions (before and after, cause and effect).

Posted by: Randy | Aug 7, 2012 7:49:14 PM

12. Haaa, but what about all the people that posted saying they know this guy and what a great kid he is ?

ROFL

This WAY more common than anybody likes to admit.

Posted by: NVTodd | Aug 7, 2012 7:55:22 PM

13. Having been a victim of hate crimes myself in the late 80's and early 90's I am saddened that anyone would fake something as serious as this. I do not hate this kid or anything but I wish people who do things like this for attention would realize that it just inflames the right who will and do (reference to my current ongoing discussion with my cousin on facebook) use this kind of thing to say that all anti gay violence is either warranted or faked. Also, some of them will actually use an event like this to put forward the stupid and bigoted conspiracy theory that it is all part of some Gay mafia/ power agenda to overthrow the Western world and destroy Christianity.

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 7, 2012 8:05:51 PM

14. This dipshit should be prosecuted if he's making up hate crimes!!

Posted by: TastelessChap | Aug 7, 2012 9:04:20 PM

15. @straightgrandmother the police are still trying to find the men responsible. They have verified the crime was in fact committed so quit acting like it didn't happen. It happened in Nebraska by the way.

Posted by: John | Aug 7, 2012 9:04:24 PM

16. I am relieved to see this is a hoax. When I first saw this I couldn't believe this could happen in Missoula. I worked there on training for 2 weeks 4 years ago and was surprised by how very gay friendly it was. It's a neat town in a beautiful place ans its on my short list for retirement living!

Posted by: Anthony | Aug 7, 2012 9:05:43 PM

17. They are scum. Worse than the Limbaughs and Hannatys. They bring disgrace on therir own people. I wish we could still tar and feather people of their ilk'

Posted by: andrew | Aug 7, 2012 9:08:29 PM

18. His facial abrasions were inconsistent with a fight/brawl, they were simply a few light abrasions to mostly one side of his face, and as someone else pointed out, his nose is unscathed. I've been in street fights, and have had broken bones, broken nose, the whole nine yards, and it was certainly obvious to me this kid was lying about how he got his injuries.

He should absolutely be charged with whatever's on the book and will stick. Punks like him need to be taught a lesson. And unfortunately, like I've said before on other TR posts, MANY 'hate' crimes are fake, and police and prosecutors of course know this. They profile 'victims' the same way they profile perps.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 7, 2012 10:07:43 PM

19. the update states a sentencing that is dsappointing...

Posted by: V-8 | Aug 7, 2012 10:46:17 PM

20. makes me sick.... so unfair for all the Matthew Sheppard's of this world who Died alone after REALLY getting beaten to a pulp and we get this scum who FAKES a Bashing just to get attention... seriously, this disgusts me..

Posted by: Martin | Aug 7, 2012 11:12:55 PM

21. The next time we post skeptical statements about one of these incidents, I want you to remember this and the others like it before criticizing. Will the lesbian "home invasion" story be next? These people are really beneath contempt.

Posted by: Byron St. James | Aug 7, 2012 11:29:52 PM

22. It seems very suspicious to me that these cops in many states are now saying a lot of the gay attacks are faked. Could it be the cops don't want to help the gays so they pretend the crime is fake and then they don't have to investigate it OR tell the federal government that it is a hate crime, therefore, keeping the Feds out of the case.

I can understand one or two of these cases being fakes but I am now deeply suspicious - I don't trust local cops on gay issues. Their history has shown they can't be trusted on gay bashings.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 7, 2012 11:35:10 PM

23. Stupid kid. More proof that our brains don't fully develop until we're 25.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Aug 7, 2012 11:56:43 PM

24. At least he didn't try to kill himself and blame on it bullying.

Posted by: Vexed | Aug 8, 2012 12:10:35 AM

25. This is really sad, especially since I initially supported this idiot. In my 8 years in Missoula, I spent many great evenings at the Mo [Missoula] Club, and they're very cool people. As are the vast majority of folks in Missoula - a place that, when I was there in the 90s, was run [quite well] by an all-female county board of commissioners, including an open lesbian who served multiple terms and was wildly popular.

As for the Mo Club, if I would have asked where the local gay bar was, it's a no-brainer - everyone there knows, and nobody cares. Go out the front door, stumble a half block and you're there. Voila.

I hope one day this kid realizes the damage he's done. He needs to. In the meantime, he also needs to be subject to the same laws as every other idiot filing false charges.

Sigh.