Christine Quinn Says She’ll ‘Raise [Her] Voice’ But Won’t ‘Misuse [Her] Office’ to Boot Chick-fil-A from NYU

Christine Quinn sent a strongly-worded letter over the weekend to NYU President John Sexton urging him to boot Chick-fil-A from his campus.

QuinnSaid Quinn in the letter: "I do not want establishments in my city that hold such discriminatory views. I urge you to sever your relationship with the Chick-fil-A establishment that exists on your campus. This establishment should be replaced with an establishment where the ownership does not denigrate a portion of our population."

Yesterday, in a talk with reporters, Quinn clarified her remarks, saying she would not use her office to get rid of the chicken chain, the NY Post reports:

“I support businesses that are open and inclusive, that reflect the viewpoint of New York City, the most diverse city in the world. That said, businesses that follow our laws have a right to open here. I don’t want businesses that hold discriminatory views and feelings, but I don’t have any legal recourse or reason to block this company. I’m raising my voice, which can be loud at times, but I’m never going to misuse this office in any way at all.”

The statement brings her more in line with NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who told reporters that it's "not government's job" to block businesses based on their political beliefs.

Comments

1. JX says

“I’m never going to misuse this office in any way at all.”

Um, hello! Slush fund scandal!

Oh wait, that was dropped in exchange for her support for Bloomberg’s third term. It’s political magic!

2. Tarc says

But is *IS* the responsibility of the government and the university to enforce their own anti-discriminatory policies. If, in fact, either have a policy that ensures equal rights of homosexuals, Chik-Fil-A can be removed from their locations for discriminating against homosexual franchisees or for discriminating against homoseuxal employees.

3. Paul B. says

I do believe in their right to free speech…and our right to respond within the framework of the law. But, I think what makes me so “intolerant” of this christian rhetoric is that it’s associated with bigotry, isn’t it?
    I mean, are these not the same people who think we’re an “abomination” and want us dead or at least invisible? Of course they are…and I think if you connect the dots like that…you’re one mighty pissed of gay or lesbian.

4. UWS10023 says

Christine Quinn made a very wise decision in her recent Chick Fil-A comments. While I do not see eye to eye with Mayor Bloomberg on most issues…He made some very wise statements during his earlier statement. It is a very thin line and slippery slope for our government to interfere with free speech or use pressure to close a business….To protect free speech I must allow others to have free speech even if I disagree with the speech. The best thing to do is to boycott the establishment. We can ask NYU and other leaders to put pressure on the company to change corporate policy.

5. Jonathan says

Christine Quinn is a political whore who is responsible for Bloomberg’s third term in exchange for his endorsement for mayor. His major achievements appear to be bike paths that are never used all over NYC and shutting down as many nightclubs as he can. I wouldn’t vote for her if you paid me. She’s a corrupt piece of crap and glad someone explained the law to her. CFA has never discriminated against anyone in the running of its business as much as I hate the owner.

6. Ernst Röhm's Ghost says

Am I the only fag in America who things this whole Chik Fil A business has been blown way out of proportion? What’s wrong with just organizing the gay community to boycot Chik Fil A?

In America, CEOs have the right to speak their mind. This Christine Quin saying that she would like to ban Chick Fil A if the law allowed it sounds unAmerican. “Speak your mind, but if I don’t like what you say, I will do everything I can to punish you.” Humph. Does that sound like somebody who really believes in free speech?

Again, raiding Chic Fil A for a ‘kiss-in’ suggests that some of us do not really believe in free speech.

What would gay activists do if CEO Cathy ordered a poster put up in all his restaurants saying “The Bible tells us that homosexuals won’t go to heaven” ? He has every legal right to do this. The activists have almost used up all their amunition over a relatively modest “offense.”

7. dm10003 says

This is in the style of un-called-for news mongering that we New Yorkers were so sick of during the Rudy Giuliani era that Bloomberg has spared us from.

She has to be smarter — toms smarter — than this to get my vote.

8. EchtKultig says

Ghost,
    No, you are not the only one. Not only is it blown out of proportion, it has “energized” the Republican base just in time for an election. And believe me, with Romney as their candidate, the base needs all the energizing they can get. It’s ironic he’s hiding his old tax returns, because as a candidate for office he’s about as exciting as filing a tax return. Maybe less.

9. ratbastard says

And this Chick-Fil-A brouhaha is BACKFIRING. It’s like conservatives and Republicans were just given a BS highly polarizing ‘culture war’ issue on a silver platter, 100 days before the election. And it’s an issue MANY ‘minorities’ don’t side with gays on.

10. andrew says

This lifelong liberal democrat and gay man says: homophobes have the constitutional right to be homophobic. Government officials should do nothing to interfere with their right to do business. Individuals or groups of individuals have the right to do business or not with homophobes.

11. millerbeach says

100 days is a long, long time in the world of politics. A LOT can happen in that time, in one day, that can turn it all on its head. Wait and see. Mittens will flop at the debate, you heard it here first. He doesn’t even sound confident in his OWN ads.