Abraham Lincoln | Daniel Day-Lewis | Film | News | Steven Spielberg

Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln: First Official Look

Daylewis

Back in November the internets were astir with an on-set photo of Daniel Day-Lewis enjoying a casual meal in his Lincoln make-up. Now, EW shares the first official photo from the Steven Spielberg historical drama.

They write:

Spielberg tells EW that Day-Lewis captures not just the likeness of the 16th U.S. president in the below image, but also the intangible, pensive quality that made him a great leader. “Lincoln had a very, very complicated – and at the same time, extremely clear — inner life,” the director says. “He thought things out. He talked things out. He argued both sides of every issue. And he was very careful in making any decision. As a matter of fact, his opponents and his enemies criticized him often for being impossibly slow to a decision.”

More about the film at EW.

Comments

1. I was hoping Joseph Gordon-Levitt would play Joshua Speed.

But Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln sounds scrumptious. She was SO Sally Field.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 7, 2012 11:44:46 AM

2. This picture is hauntingly accurate!

Posted by: tophu628 | Aug 7, 2012 11:49:53 AM

3. kind of spooky in accuracy

Posted by: say what | Aug 7, 2012 11:56:27 AM

4. I saw him walking around the west village a few months back. My friend recognized him; I thought he may have been a homeless guy. Don't know if he was prepping for this role or just being being standard eccentric DD-L.

Posted by: Heartsleeved | Aug 7, 2012 11:57:22 AM

5. k...it hasn't even been released yet but I'll go out on a limb and predict multiple oscars simply due to

Steven Spielberg + Daniel Day Lewis + Sally Field + 1 of the greatest if not greatest US presidents ever who preserved the union and ended slavery = kaching on the Oscars

so looking foreword to it

Posted by: say what | Aug 7, 2012 12:08:07 PM

6. Wow. As someone who's been at Ford's theater and the Petersen house, my heart skipped a beat seeing this picture.

Posted by: Hank | Aug 7, 2012 12:22:29 PM

7. Where's his axe ??

Posted by: bALAN | Aug 7, 2012 12:58:13 PM

8. DDL is an amazing actor. All the way back to My Beautiful Laundrette. What an underrated film.

Posted by: John | Aug 7, 2012 1:06:35 PM

9. I don't know if he makes a convincing vampire...

Posted by: BobN | Aug 7, 2012 1:12:19 PM

10. Balancing my trust in DDL and distrust in Spielberg is hard to do. Let's face it; Spielberg's lost his touch.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 7, 2012 2:17:20 PM

11. I'm with @Ryan on this. It was all looking good until I saw Spielberg's name attached to this.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 7, 2012 3:06:48 PM

12. It's like looking at a penny.

Posted by: sgvmk | Aug 7, 2012 3:27:54 PM

13. @Balan: Bwaahahhaaa!

Posted by: ernest1960 | Aug 7, 2012 4:44:51 PM

14. "My Beautiful Laundrette" is hardly underrated, I believe it's considered a classic at this point, and made Stephen Frears a known commodity as a director. DDL (and his costar) took a relatively brave stance (for 1985) at playing the two lovers who were presented in a unbitter, positive light. DDL is great, glad he is doing this film, maybe not so glad that Spielberg is directing (the last scene of "Warhorse" was conceptually and visually one of the most treacly and cliché film endings I have ever seen… disastrous).

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Aug 7, 2012 5:12:20 PM

15. So... Another Hollywood epic that erases any homosexual aspect of the individual? Alexander the Great 2.0

Posted by: Michael | Aug 7, 2012 5:24:39 PM

16. That's going to get the Oscar for best make-up. Eerily real.

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 7, 2012 6:00:36 PM

17. @SAY WHAT: "[one] of the greatest if not greatest US presidents ever". Uh, "SAY", you should really take a critical look at your hero. Lincoln effectively suspended the Bill of Rights and jailed anyone with assets, power, or influence who publicly disagreed with him. He claimed it was to preserve the Union, but a repressive regime isn't worth preserving. But what about freedom of speech, you ask? Not under Lincoln! Well, surely they still had freedom of the press, right? NO! Lincoln closed many newspapers which differed with him.

There was a certain Austrian corporal who did the exact same thing, but the victors write the history books.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Aug 7, 2012 8:48:46 PM

18. I look forward to watching this movie. Can't say I say that too often.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 7, 2012 10:24:39 PM