"Ex-Gays" | Lisa Ling | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Ex-Gay' Leader Alan Chambers Has 'Leslie' Attractions: VIDEO

Chambers

Alan Chambers head of the 'ex-gay' Exodus International organization, talked to OWN's Lisa Ling about his own sexual attraction - he says he can't say he's heterosexual but can't say he's gay. Chambers recently radically changed his position regarding 'reparative therapy', and now opposes it.

“I have to be honest and say of course I have temptations, of course I have attractions related to the same sex. But for over 15 years since I've been in a relationship with Leslie my attraction has been toward her. My devotion has been toward her. … She is the object of my desire. She is the object of my affection. I wouldn't choose anything or anyone else but her. So, am I heterosexual? I don't know. I'm not gay. I have Leslie attractions.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via on top)

Comments

1. Leave it to Lisa (ding-a) Ling to give this gasbag more air,. All for ratings.

Posted by: ggreen | Aug 22, 2012 12:36:23 PM

2. Dear Usual Commenters who insist that "gay-isms" are the result of "pressure" from the "stereotypical mainstream gay community" to "conform" to "affectations of behavior",

if that nonsense is true then why is this ex-gay, like ALL ex-gays, the utter embodiment of all of those "isms" that y'all claim are elective affectations to "fit in to the mainstream gay culture"?

here's a man who lives each day trying to distance himself from anything gay - so why do his supposedly-affected "gay-isms" remain?

yeah. exactly. ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 22, 2012 2:17:01 PM

3. Hey Alan, your kids won't "chose" anything. They're already who they are.

Posted by: Miranca C | Aug 22, 2012 3:39:43 PM

4. "I'm not gay" followed by extra-squish-overreative-gayface... Oh, he's SO gay.

@Alejo: Sorry you can't see the mannerisms. Suffice it to say they aren't "straight" either.

Poor guy. He and "Leslie" are missing so much in life by persisting in a lie because of their belief in another one (religion).

Posted by: Eric | Aug 22, 2012 4:14:41 PM

5. Gotta say I agree with Steve and Javier above.

While I am sad for Mr. Chambers and believe strongly that his life has been adversely affected by the religious dogma he was taught, it IS a big step (and an important one) for someone in his position to publicly renounce "reparative" therapy.

We live in a country where we are all (at least allegedly) free to adopt whatever religious beliefs we want, even when those beliefs appear to others to be damaging to our lives and psyches. EVERY ONE of us -- whether raised gay or straight, religious or not, urban or country, conservative or liberal -- makes choices about how much of our upbringing to retain as part of our adult lives. Mr. Chambers has made his choice about where the balance is for him between who he is and what his religion tells him he should be. As long as he (and Leslie, of course) understands that choice and is not trying to force it on others, everyone else needs to respect it, even when we think it is wrongheaded. There is no reason that he needs to say he's "gay" just because you think he should.

I would also remind all you disbelievers that we are only a few decades removed from a time when MANY of us would have had wives and children, notwithstanding our homosexuality. Many of those mismatched relationships of the past were full of love, even though they might have been sexually unfulfilling. As you will all learn, I hope, a loving relationship has far more to do with a meeting of minds and souls than it does a meeting of genitalia (not that good sex isn't a good part of it too.) I have little doubt that Mr. Chambers loves Leslie, notwithstanding the fact that she doesn't have a penis.

Posted by: Buster | Aug 22, 2012 8:37:26 PM

6. Not true, BUSTER. For the Alan Chambers of the U.S. do force their views onto the public and won't rest until you agree with them- it's called evangelism. They ultimately want to make it law-a theocrasy.

Posted by: nikko | Aug 23, 2012 1:48:12 AM