Chick-fil-A | Family Research Council | Floyd Corkins | News | Tony Perkins

BigGayDeal.com

FBI Affidavit Reveals More Details About Floyd Corkins, FRC Shooting Charges

Corkins2

With Floyd Corkins officially charged for shooting a security guard at the Family Research Council's DC HQ yesterday, we're receiving more information not only on the crimes for which he's been tried, but also details about the shooting, including confirmation that he had 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his bag, and his parents' reaction.

From ABC News:

Corkins was charged with assault with intent to kill and bringing firearms across state and was expected to appear later Thursday in federal court.

Corkins lived with his parents in Herndon and had recently been volunteering at a D.C. community center for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. He told the guard words to the effect of, "I don't like your politics" and pulled a handgun from his backpack, according to an FBI affidavit.

Besides a box of ammunition, authorities also found 15 sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, the fast-food chain that has landed at the center of a national cultural debate over gay marriage.

Corkins' parents told FBI agents that he has "strong opinions with respect to those he believes do not treat homosexuals in a fair manner," the complaint says.

The assault charge carries up to 30 years in prison and the weapons charge has a 10-year maximum sentence. It wasn't immediately clear if Corkins had a lawyer.

The guard who was shot in the left arm, 46-year old man Leo Johnson, is "resting comfortably" at the hospital and is being hailed as a hero by FRC president Tony Perkins, "This hero business is hard work."

For once the right wing big-wig is 100% correct.

Comments

1. This is a sad event. I would like to see this man tried under a hate crimes law as I think this would send a powerful message to both sides. The right-wing groups often decry the gays as getting "special rights," and if this had been a shooter at the HRC headquarters it likely would be billed as a hate crime. This man's actions are just as heinous and should be treated as such.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 16, 2012 12:49:47 PM

2. I agree Ryan. And whats with the 15 sandwiches from Chick-fil-A?

Posted by: Jayson | Aug 16, 2012 1:09:00 PM

3. It is an interesting question if political violence (which this is) qualifies as a hate crime. I'm inclined to say no in this case, since he was not targeting the FRC because they were heterosexual. Perhaps another poster might know the law better, but the fact that the FBI is involved in investigating this shooting suggests to me that political violence is treated differently than hate crimes. In any case, a message needs to be sent that violence of any kind is not acceptable.

Posted by: Watcher | Aug 16, 2012 1:12:49 PM

4. If 'political belief' is a hate crime category, and he truly did say "I don't like your politics" as he shot that guy, then throw the book at him. Hard.

Posted by: Yeek | Aug 16, 2012 1:13:16 PM

5. If 'political belief' is a hate crime category, and he truly did say "I don't like your politics" as he shot that guy, then throw the book at him. Hard.

Posted by: Yeek | Aug 16, 2012 1:13:18 PM

6. I don't condone violence. No one deserves to be shot, regardless of how evil they are - however, I'm neither shocked nor surprised. The wingnuts have been perpetrating violence against women's choice, minorities (including LGBT folk) for years. Unfortunately, wingnuts don't have exclusivity to mentally unstable people. The relentless bigotry which comes from these hate groups just fans the flames. Let's be certain about one thing though... The FRC is a hate group. They attempt to hide their bigotry in the righteous cloak of religious freedom. We have free speech in this country but when you consistently tell people they are inferior and don't deserve the same rights as you have, eventually someone will snap. I don't condone violence. No one deserves to be shot. What the press should do is to focus peoples attention to what the FRC truly is... a good analogy to bring it into focus would be if this were the KKK headquarters.

Posted by: MikeH | Aug 16, 2012 1:17:13 PM

7. The FRC reaps what it sows.

Posted by: Rob robertss2009 | Aug 16, 2012 1:24:49 PM

8. What an embarrassment! Typical Democrat nutcase.

Posted by: ? | Aug 16, 2012 1:25:35 PM

9. One more thing... Just watch Fox News and the rhetoric coming from the wingnuts; especially talk radio. The not so subtle imagery regarding gun violence. They're egging it on...

Posted by: MikeH | Aug 16, 2012 1:27:32 PM

10. One lone nutter isn't a conspiracy as much the wingnuts want. We should not back down, hell we should list all of the gays and lesbians who have been brutalized and then ask them why they spread hate.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 16, 2012 1:30:49 PM

11. so the soother of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is considered a hate crime?...I do not recall anyone even suggesting that idea..the guys is crazy but his reasons were because of her political views...

...why are they suggesting hate crime on political view in this situation?

to me is not a hate crime based on the law at this moment...but this guy should be punish for what he did...

we need to fight for out rights agressively but not with any kind of violence...

Posted by: Derek | Aug 16, 2012 1:31:11 PM

12. "What an embarrassment! Typical Democrat nutcase"

You're right-- a right-wing Republican nutcase wouldn't have been satisfied with shooting one person in the arm. They would have killed atlease a dozen.

And a stingy-azz Republican would have never thought about bringing chicken sandwiches to feed the survivors.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 16, 2012 1:40:07 PM

13. Ryan, and what does our side need to learn from this exactly? That we are too frivolous with hate crime legislation? that gay people need to think before they use hate crime legislation? I don't see two sides here, I see an antiquated look at hate crime legislation and some assholes that finally goaded a shooter. As nobody died, color me uncaring.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 16, 2012 1:45:12 PM

14. WTF. Sorry the security guard got shot, sorrier that Corkins missed Perkins.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Aug 16, 2012 1:45:13 PM

15. With the world the way it is... I can't get the idea that this was somehow a right-wing nutjob plant out of my head. Many people will disagree with me, but I believe that 9/11 was an inside job by warmongers who make money off the death of people and war.

Some part of me feels like this was somehow all planned out--such a bizarre event with crazy details.

One way or another though, that creature does not in any way represent me or my values. NOM and FRC though will be milking this till its dry.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 16, 2012 1:47:09 PM

16. @?
    On to you being a shill for the Republicans and the FRC.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Aug 16, 2012 1:56:08 PM

17. Political affiliation is a category covered under the DC hate crimes law. See link. It's hard to imagine a more convincing example than saying " I don't like your politics" right before shooting someone, of that's what happened.

Posted by: Yeek | Aug 16, 2012 2:08:13 PM

18. I agree, Nat. This all sounds weirdly "perfect" and stilted. I do know bias colors everyone's perceptions of reality and it's a common reaction for someone to feel like it couldn't really be "one of us" that did that so it must be an "inside job" conspiracy theory, but nothing about this sound right to me. It's all fishy as hell.

Posted by: Shelly | Aug 16, 2012 2:30:19 PM

19. Ok first off, my thoughts are with the injured guard and I hope he recovers fully and completely soon. This was a horrible act, and they should throw the book at Floyd.
    I really want to believe that this guy is someone who became unhinged and worked on his own to attack the FRC. I think we have all had, at our darker moments, feelings of Rage and Frustration with this group and the entire religious right because of the things they do and say in the name of "Jesus", who was pretty clear on the love thy neighbor thing (though the right doesn’t get that part of his message). The majority of us realize those feelings are just our darker side and get over it and realize how happy we are that they will never know the joy of being a real human being in a world full of promise.
    However there is a tiny little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying something is not right. Maybe it’s just because I don't want to believe that someone on "our" side would do this (I know that is foolish, there are crazies everywhere); maybe it is just my deep distrust of anything involving the FRC. These people have shown themselves to be deceitful and manipulative in the past.
    This added explanation only makes that voice a little louder. This Floyd guy had "recently been volunteering at a D.C. community center for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people” and his parents say "he has strong opinions with respect to those he believes do not treat homosexuals in a fair manner." Did he just come over to our cause? Had he been a lifelong advocate? And the comment from his parents using the term homosexual just doesn’t sit right. I know plenty of older people who are on our side and struggle to use the right terms in the right places; my grandparents are very supportive, but it is always kind of funny when they try to say things and then realize they may have been offensive while trying to be supportive, it’s just vocabulary so it is highly possible they are being sincere in explaining what they thought their sons motivation was.
    I don't know; do I believe that Tony Perkins could have found some guy a couple of years ago and started planning for when something like this would have the most impact. Could he have found a guard willing to take one for the team? Could Tony have set this all up to happen just when it could have the most impact? I think the answer is yes he COULD have, anyone could have. I am stuck with trying to decide if he WOULD have done it... I hope that the deeper the investigation goes they find that this was just an unhinged man with a crazy plan, I really do. I just don’t trust Tony Perkins, and anything he says I automatically put into my skeptical analysis pile... I guess that is the bed Tony has made for himself.

Posted by: RandyOwen | Aug 16, 2012 2:34:01 PM

20. If his parents refer to him as a "homosexual," he's probably had anger towards the anti-gay sentiment his entire life...or, going down the conspiracy theory path, they didn't do their homework.

Either way, violence = bad. Right wingers trying to claim 'we're even now' or 'we're such victims' = nauseating.

Posted by: kpo5 | Aug 16, 2012 2:35:08 PM

21. Then again, we haven't heard what his sexual orientation is.

Posted by: kpo5 | Aug 16, 2012 2:35:36 PM

22. I'm with Nat. This is just too fishy.

Posted by: Jesse | Aug 16, 2012 2:35:56 PM

23. "I just don’t trust Tony Perkins, and anything he says I automatically put into my skeptical analysis pile... I guess that is the bed Tony has made for himself."

Agree 100% with you there.

Posted by: kpo5 | Aug 16, 2012 2:37:46 PM

24. "wingnuts don't have exclusivity to mentally unstable people."
    But as I keep pointing out, of course to some degree they DO have the majority of violent, anti-social psychopaths. You only kill an abortion doctor because "God told you to do so" and you have to believe in God before God can tell you anything. Left-wing terrorism/hate crimes of this type are EXCEEDINGLY rare in the US.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 16, 2012 2:51:16 PM

25. " And the comment from his parents using the term homosexual just doesn’t sit right."

TOTALLY agree. This could actually be a formerly deeply closeted person's way of lashing out at the gay community, in an extremely perverse and misguided way. White people in Herndon proper would most definitely tend to be blue collar, tea party republicans.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 16, 2012 2:54:29 PM