Floyd Corkins | FOX News | News | Tony Perkins

FRC's Tony Perkins Says SPLC 'Should Be Held Responsible' For Floyd Corkins' 'Domestic Terrorism': VIDEO

PerkinsFRCShooting

Like NOM's Brian Brown, Family Research Council president Tony Perkins is blaming the Southern Poverty Law Center for Floyd Corkins opening fire at his group's HQ yesterday.

"Floyd Corkins was given a license to shoot an unarmed man by organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center that have been reckless in labeling organizations hate groups because they disagree with them on public policy," Perkins said on Fox News today. "I believe the Southern Poverty Law Center should be held responsible that is leading to intimidation of what the FBI has characterized as domestic terrorism."

Watch Perkins' remarks AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I think what Tony Perkins did was disgusting and slimy. His guard was shot. But what does he do today? He uses the occasion to blame the group that correctly called him out on his lies and hatred.

I don't know how I would react if I were the guard. I think I might be quite angry with Tony for using my misfortune to make a point.

Posted by: john patrick | Aug 16, 2012 6:57:54 PM

2. @Rick Roberts: If Tony is "quivering because he knows the bullet was intended for his head", is that a good thing? Do you think assassination is an appropriate political weapon?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 16, 2012 7:53:33 PM

3. Andrew, I don't want Tony to feel physically intimidated. I don't want him to feel emotionally intimidated. What happened was terrible. But if you can't appreciate the irony of all of this then I feel sorry for you. Tony has gotten a taste of how many LGBT individuals in this country feel much of the time, that is afraid of physical or emotional intimidation because of who they are. It's not a good thing that this shooting happened. But you'd think the intended victims would reflect. Alas, they are oblivious.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 16, 2012 8:22:08 PM

4. Tony Perkins is evil and the SPLC has more balls than so called mainstream advocacy groups who just won't call this nut out.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 16, 2012 8:31:41 PM

5. @Matemom: Are you a spokesman for Rick Roberts? Don't feel sorry for me. And I don't believe that many Lgbt people feel afraid of physical or emotional intimidation because of who they are. Are you suggesting that the intended victims of violence should remain silent and not express their opinions about the political and social issues of today?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 16, 2012 8:37:31 PM

6. Miss Perkins's spin is pathedic, desperate and won't work.

Posted by: Max | Aug 16, 2012 9:04:07 PM

7. Wait - so now the BULLIES are victims, because they got a taste of what's been happening to the LGBT community as a result of their defamatory and hate inciting rhetoric? Come on. Bullies. HOWEVER, I would never advocate violence against anyone, but you have to admit, there is some irony here...

Posted by: pdxblueyes | Aug 16, 2012 10:05:49 PM

8. I don't believe it. This sounds like a hoax. Hate-group FRC is not below staging a shooting. I'm waiting to hear more before I believe it.

Furthermore, another TR commenter's apt comparison of this situation to an early 20th-century Jewish kid who shot a Nazi official because the kid was upset to face EXILE, thus triggering CAMPS, is foreboding. I'm sad to say it, but the far right is not that different today.

It's scary stuff if Romney wins; we need to keep a close eye on stuff, and keep our passports up-to-date--just in case. The Republicans would LOVE to put us in camps, but I ain't goin, y'all; no way.

The far-right Scientologists have a new movie out that might parade their hater-founder as a hero; this is scary because L. Ron Hubbard SPECIFICALLY asserted that gay people should be put into CONCENTRATION CAMPS. Scary sh**. And NO LESS SCARY if Hubbard's gay-hatred was so strong because he himself was secretly gay or bisexual. But if Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" paints a Hubbard as worthy, that's another sign of a frightening impending world, y'all.

BUT WE NEED TO STAND STRONG IN THE FACE OF THESE ASSAULTS ON OUR VERY PERSONHOOD. I can't see myself condoning murder, certainly not of Perkins, who WISHES HE COULD BE A MARTYR. However, I'm still waiting to here the alleged perpetrator's story.

COULD IT HAVE BEEN IN SELF-DEFENSE, for example?? I'm not inclined to quickly trust Perkins' account; he has a consistent track record of telling extreme lies.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Aug 17, 2012 12:55:25 AM

9. What do the ideologues of the left and right have in common? They are both the enemies of honesty and truth. They care not about the facts of any issue. They are only interested in how they can spin things to their ideological advantage.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 17, 2012 1:34:49 AM

10. Andrew, your claim accepts the status quo, simply, no?

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 17, 2012 2:22:32 AM

11. What's more, facts are the Friend of justice and progress for all. Bring it.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 17, 2012 2:23:57 AM

12. What's more, facts are the Friend of justice and progress for all. Bring it.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 17, 2012 2:23:59 AM

13. ANDREW: I'd like to know what proof you have that gay people have been advocating for this type of violence.

Are you going by the anonymous remarks here, that could be made by ANYONE, including people just pretending to be gay ?

Let's see you back up your assertions for a change, ANDREW.

Back your crap up, or STFU.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 17, 2012 5:38:23 AM

14. PS: It goes without saying, FRC is definitely a HATE group!

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 17, 2012 7:38:58 AM

15. Just a thought - it would not surprise me if we were to find out down the line that this whole shooting had been staged by the FRC. We've already seen how low they will go to divide the BME and LGBT communities and the lies and bile they publish.

(for fun let's file this one under conspiracy theory in the spirit of what the right wing like to do)

Posted by: Chaz | Aug 17, 2012 9:07:35 AM

16. Gee, Tony, you been spewing hate all these years and somebody gets po'd because of all your hate and you blame an organization that has rightly labeled your group the FRC as a hate-group because that's exactly what you are.

See, Tony, one day, maybe real, real soon, you and I are going to accidentally bump into each other and I'm going to, well, let's just say I'm not going to be friendly.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 17, 2012 2:59:00 PM