News, Uganda, Michael J. Fox, Pennsylvania, T-Mobile

RoadThe Advocate celebrates 45 years.

RoadNYT: New frontiers of extremism for the GOP.

WhaleRoadToo close for comfort?

RoadLady Gaga dyes her hair 'Louis Vuitton brown'.

RoadChristopher Ciccone on reality: "The thing that concerns me is the legitimacy factor ... Madonna will always be my sister. At some point, though, I would like to be able to pick up [a news story] that says, 'Christopher Ciccone, footwear designer,' instead of 'Madonna's brother designs footwear.'"

RoadUniversity of Maryland students want Chick-fil-A off campus: "Allowing such a bigoted and hateful organization to continue to operate in the [Stamp Student Union] runs counter to the spirit of equality that the University claims to champion."

RoadPennsylvania's Peace Advocacy Network plans demonstrations against "ex-gay" therapists: "In recent times, PAN has become aware of two therapists, Peter Kleponis and Richard Fitzgibbons, who operate a counseling clinic, the Institute for Marital Healing, in West Conshohocken that offers "conversion" therapies for LGBTQ individuals."

RoadRicky Martin takes the kids out for pizza.

RoadBarack and Michelle Obama make joint appearance in Davenport, Iowa. Are in love.

Sjp_gleeRoadFirst look: Sarah Jessica Parker on the set of Glee.

RoadMichael J Fox returning to TV in new sitcom: "It's a project whose success or failure could very well prove to be a defining factor in his ultimate success or failure in reshaping NBC's primetime fortunes."

RoadBlake Griffin shows off his basketball body.

RoadPolice raid offices of gay rights group GALZ in Zimbabwe: "According to a status update on Facebook, more than twenty police officers arrived in two trucks. This appears to be part of a larger crackdown on the LGBT advocacy group."

RoadMissouri lesbian's attackers certified to stand trial: "On July 24, Ayers allegedly saw Terry sitting near a window of her home and called out that she was going across the street to get her brother and then return to 'beat her ass.' Later that day Ayers allegedly walked up to the front door of Terry's home, grabbed Terry and pulled her outside onto the porch. Police say the teen then began punching Terry, who did not return blows. Other juveniles joined in on the attack, laughing as they struck Terry according to one media account."

RoadIn the American West, lack of water leaves mined land scarred forever.

RoadAugusta National Golf Club admits first female members: "former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and South Carolina businesswoman Darla Moore."

UgandaRoadPlay about gay man staged in Uganda. "The play, titled 'The River and the Mountain,' premiered last Friday at a little-known theater in the capital, Kampala, amid fears the police would raid the venue and stop production." Video promo.

RoadFirst-person: One night out with Grindr.

RoadJames McAvoy does some heavy lifting.

RoadT-Mobile donates $25K to Washington Marriage Equality. “T-Mobile has a long-standing focus on creating an inclusive workplace environment for our employees,” T-Mobile interim CEO Jim Alling said. “Our support of this issue is a reflection of our culture, how we do business, and our belief in the fair and equitable treatment of all employees.”

RoadNASA's Curiosity Rover extends its robot arm.

RoadNew Zealand Minister of Justice comes out for marriage equality: "It’s a major turnaround for Collins, who voted against the Civil Union legislation and the accompanying Relationships (Statutory References) Act, and questioned whether gay unions were a human rights issue at all. During the 2003 Care of Children Act debate, she stated: 'Accepting the diversity of New Zealand families does not mean advocacy for same-sex parenting situations. And it certainly does not mean a same-sex partner should have the same rights as a father.'"

Comments

1. The question is will the Advocate make it to 50?

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 21, 2012 4:08:30 PM

2. While I appreciate that some students and faculty are offended by CFA's bigotry and anti-gay contributions, I think that it is mis-guided to have them removed from the campus. A much better approach would be to not spend their money there. If cities and schools "ban" CFA it only makes CFA out to be victimized. If, on the other hand, people stop buying their products they go away of their own accord, as it is not profitable for them to stay.

Posted by: Kenneth | Aug 21, 2012 4:17:57 PM

3. Mr. Towle, the NYT link brings me to a picture of a multi-colored elephant.

Posted by: Winston | Aug 21, 2012 4:35:28 PM

4. The NYT article doesnt work

Posted by: Emmy | Aug 21, 2012 4:42:36 PM

5. Well, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I remember buying the Advocate back in the early 70's when I was in high school. Back then, it was a "newspaper" and half of it was devoted to personal ads. I would get my parents to drop me off in the downtown area of the biggest city I lived near while they attended to business elsewhere......and I would breathlessly go to a newsstand on the street and take the Advocate off the shelf, terrified that the owner of the newsstand would report me to the police, who in turn would report me to my parents.

He never did, though, even though I was underage--come to think of it, he could have gotten into trouble by selling it to me--and I took it home in a double paper bag, which, of course, I only opened once I was safe and alone in my bedroom with the door locked.

This whole new exotic world was opened to me by what I read that made my teen heart beat with a combination of excitement and terror......

Only later, when I actually explored that world did I discover the shallowness that was the reality of life in it.....which was brought to mind by reading the Grindr article in this same section.....confirming that, regardless of how the means of meeting and socializing may have changed over time, the superficiality and emptiness of gay male life remains the norm, sad to say.

All these years later.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 21, 2012 4:43:31 PM

6. I remember when the ADVOCATE was delivered in a plain brown envelope...but my mailman knew what was inside.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Aug 21, 2012 4:44:03 PM

7. He should be lucky that he isn't known as "Christopher Ciccone, known coke whore and hateful Top Chef guest."

Posted by: ChristopherM | Aug 21, 2012 6:24:38 PM

8. The NY Times article is here:

Posted by: rustytrawler | Aug 21, 2012 8:05:49 PM

9. Dear Madonna's brother. Your sister hired you and you rode her coattails for years on minimal talent, then you sold her out by writing a scathing biography of her. Sorry, dude, but the only fame you've ever gotten was from her. Deal.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Aug 21, 2012 8:12:59 PM

10. WOW...Cris and Sarah Jessica in the same photo. Who would a thunk you could put the cutest human being and the U-G-L-I-E-S-T one in the same picture without ripping a hole in the universe?

Posted by: I wont grow up | Aug 21, 2012 9:31:05 PM

11. @wont grow up - I totally agree. Sarah's beautiful smile in the same photo's as that ugly, obnoxious offensively femmy queen? UGH.

Posted by: steve76 | Aug 21, 2012 9:48:08 PM

12. hey cool thing from Tmobile! I've always been happy with their customer service too.

Posted by: William | Aug 21, 2012 10:52:14 PM

13. bad link on this: NYT: New frontiers of extremism for the GOP.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Aug 22, 2012 12:04:21 AM

14. Ricky, the kids are lovely, but they're old enough to walk, now.

Posted by: scotsyank | Aug 22, 2012 3:53:57 AM