Florida | GOProud | Republican National Convention | Republican Party | Tampa

GOProud's 'Homocon': Dana Loesch Plus A Fetish Club Plus 'Christ-Haters' Equals A Swell Time (VIDEO) (UPDATED)

Photo839

The GOProud folk descending on Central Florida for the Republican National Convention next week have selected a venue for their famed Homocon party, and seem to have solidified the "Special Guest" list.

The venue: The Honey Pot, the premier fetish club in Ybor City -- a little burg in Tampa known primarily for its nightlife, and for drawing booze-mad college kids from their campuses in St. Pete, Tampa, and Lakeland.

The "Special Guest" list includes: the American Conservative Union's David Keene. Grover Norquist. Larry O'Connor, of Breitbart. Will Cain. S.E. Cupp. Margaret Hoover. The long-suffering Richard Grenell. Bigshot Tea Partier Amy Kremer. The very-fun Mary Matalin, the sourpuss CNN commentator, famously married to ideological opponent James Carville. And, for some reason, Dana Loesch.

Dana Loesch, the editor-in-chief of Andrew Breitbart's BigJournalism.com, is notably unfriendly to gay people. AFTER THE JUMP, listen to a squirm-inducing clip from Dana's radio show in which she bullies a young, self-identified Christian woman who calls to express her support of marriage equality, and ends up teling to the poor girl that she must, therefore, "hate Christ." The logical contortions Ms. Loesch must perform to arrive at this conclusion are, I think you'll agree, most impressive. (Or indicative of almost incapacitating idiocy.)

Listening to the clip, it's impossible to imagine this woman glad-handing gays in Ybor City, but apparently that's what'll happen. Salud, GOProud: You make crazy happen.

There have been several online reports that Homocon will feature a Paul Ryan lookalike in an upstairs VIP room, but GOProud doesn't mention that in its advertisements, and I can't find any announcement to that effect on the Honey Pot's Facebook page. I called GOProud to ask about it this morning, but it seems there's nobody manning the phones on the weekends.

Again -- to get your nerves jangled, listen to Loesch AFTER THE JUMP ...

(UPDATE: As I suspected, there will be no Paul Ryan lookalike at Homocon. Also, despite multiple press notices to the contrary, turns out Honey Pot isn't a fetish club at all.)

Comments

1. @Randy,

Yeah and she makes my ears bleed whenever she on Real Time with Bill Maher. She claims to be an atheist, but she is really a false atheist and stupid at that.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Aug 25, 2012 7:07:26 PM

2. Wow... the only word I can come up with is simply - UNBELIEVABLE. GoProud makes "crazy" look downright sane and rational.

Posted by: KC | Aug 25, 2012 9:01:53 PM

3. Blake: Is a "faggot" a gay person with whom you disagree? Then you are a "faggot" to me.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 25, 2012 10:45:42 PM

4. Dana Loesch is a cowardly bully with a limited intellect. When I called her out on her defense of Todd Akin, her legion of sycophantic minions blasted me on Twitter with hateful language ("fag" & "faggot") and threatened me with corporeal harm. The most overt were reported and suspended. However, some were not and these cowardly bullies were the very same being followed by Loesch herself. When I called her out on this, she blocked me as she is in the habit of doing to any who confront her with the raw truth. Simply put: She can't handle the truth.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Aug 26, 2012 12:39:09 AM

5. Good Evening All,

So I am actually a bartender at Honey Pot in Ybor. Please know that the club is not fetish. I promise it actually is a very beautifully designed night club and one of the nicer ones in Ybor. The "fetish" part you are speaking of might be the fact that the owners of the Honey Pot do own a couple of places in Ybor and one does cater to the fetish community. Please know that the owners of the club are Gay and are extremely active in the gay community and movement. Moreover, this is an event that is being rented out with a signifigant amount of money and that a large portion of the cost for that is being directed into several gay and gay friendly charities. I would ask if anyone is in Tampa to please do not hesitate to come any weekend they like to the clubs and I will gladly serve them. Hell I will even buy them a shot if they are nice. Thanks for your time.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 26, 2012 5:09:46 AM

6. Billy,

Don't worry about what you read here. Us locals know you guys are good people.

Sadly, a lot of activists in the gay community care very little for the things that matter to most gay people, like acceptance by mainstream society. They're more worried about national fiscal policy or union rights. And they waste everyone's time throwing accusations at other gay organizations.

Honey Pot got caught in the crossfire.

Posted by: Jason (the commenter) | Aug 26, 2012 7:59:10 AM

7. Two of the best comments I every heard about GOProud came from Towleroad. Someone asked recently whether it was a real group with members or just a board of directors who put out press releases. I think the latter is more likely. Also, every person you hear of in regard to GOProud is listed as "a member of the advisory board." Someone asked a while back "how many 'advisors' does GOPRoud need? Don't they know what they're doing?"

Ann Coulter was at a GORpoud gathering and said that she "wanted don't-ask-don't-tell not just for the military, but for all of society." Well, then how are you pro-gay? Even when I was against marriage equality I never would gave gone before a gay group and made such a statement. Isn't this saying that you want gays to stay in the closet? The whole GOProud story is puzzling to me.

Posted by: Mary | Aug 26, 2012 8:04:36 AM

8. When the Log Cabin Republicans call you out for being sad and fake then you know where GOProud stands in relationship to reality. A handful of mega millionaire gay men who will never face discrimination simply because that kind of money is the great equalizer. No hotel, hospital, club, airline, resort, restaurant, sports center, business will ever deny them access and they're too closeted to ever actually marry even if they wanted to.

The worst that will ever happen is that they don't get invited to the convention while it us full of Tea Bagger crazies, but they don't care because when it comes time to write checks and influence the laws that protect their money they are back in the game and sitting down with senators while the Baggers sit at home wondering where their healthcare went and waving a sad little American flag.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Aug 26, 2012 10:12:37 AM