2012 Election | Discrimination | Gay Marriage | Log Cabin Republicans | News | Republican National Convention | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Log Cabin Republicans: GOP Platform Is 'Ugly And Harmful'

LogCabin

The Log Cabin Republicans believed their presence at this year's GOP national convention would help move their party toward equality. They, as many predicted, were wrong, because the Republican platform is just as discriminatory and hateful as ever.

"The platform affirms the rights of states and the federal government not to recognize same-sex marriage," reads the party manifesto. "It backs a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman."

Now that their dreams have been dashed, Log Cabin leaders are lashing out at the GOP for its completely unsurprising bigotry. "The platform is ugly and harmful," the group's director of programs, Casey Pick, told NPR.

Pick also says that social conservatives' tenacious commitment to discrimination was only bolstered by her and her colleagues' involvement. "We lost," Pick said. "And you could say the social conservatives in our party dropped the hammer harder because we were there."

Or you could say that LCR were on a quixotic mission to nowhere.

Comments

1. water is wet

Good for LCR people to finally reralize the truth

the only question is what will they do wth the truth.....vote against the repub party and they can contribute to fixing it for only by loosing badly will the repub party ever change

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2012 10:49:23 AM

2. "Change of the type they want doesn't happen in one or two election cycles. I don't speak for LCR and haven't met any of its leaders (or members - just joined over two months ago) but I imagine they're aiming for long-term success, which doesn't always manifest itself in small yet visible increments"

Mary, if being beaten down and not seeing results for your efforts is acceptable to you, then why don't you and the LCRs join the Democratic Party and try to change it to something you approve of? You could fight your quixotic fight with people who don't consider you second class citizens.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 11:05:01 AM

3. "Change of the type they want doesn't happen in one or two election cycles.Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 11:05:01 AM

How long do you think they have been around?

Posted by: The Realist | Aug 30, 2012 11:13:05 AM

4. That can't honestly be the LCR's actual logo? I mean, two elephants having anal sex...I feel like that organization is set up just as an elaborate way to troll us.

Posted by: JT | Aug 30, 2012 11:18:27 AM

5. Try and appease a rabid dog. Don't be surprised when it bites you.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 30, 2012 11:21:56 AM

6. "How long do you think they have been around?"

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 11:27:41 AM

7. They have been *fighting for gay rights* from within the Republican Party since 1977. The gay rights movement started just eight years before that, and look where the progress has been made, in the Democratic Party.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 11:27:41 AM

My point exactly. It has been more than 2 election cycles and they seen to only go backwards. Ineffective is what LCR is. "Fighting for gay rights" my ass.

Posted by: The Realist | Aug 30, 2012 11:40:08 AM

8. Dastius Krazitauc,
    Bad editing on mt part. Sorry.

Posted by: The Realist | Aug 30, 2012 11:44:07 AM

9. the only republicans who arent' complete pieces of s**t are the ones who are currently supporting Obama.

jump. ship.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 11:46:19 AM

10. Log Cabin Republicans are Rihanna, and the GOP is Chris Brown.

No matter how bad the GOP hurts the Log Cabin Republicans, they just keep coming back for more abuse.

Log Cabin Republicans need to pull a Tina Turner before they end up like Nicole Simpson.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 30, 2012 12:06:20 PM

11. I am a committed Democrat, but I firmly believe that we need some support in BOTH political parties before the gay tidal wave breaks the seawall. Thinking Republicans (there are still a few) know they have to find a way around their party's homophobia. I have told Republican friends that I would give their party's views on limited government, low taxes, and fiscal responsibility a hearing. But I also told them I would not give the GOP the time of day as long as they want to make me into a 3rd Class citizen. They were absolutely stunned at my remarks. I am somewhat hopeful that things will begin to change. Sen. Orin Hatch of Utah recently softened his homophobia. Republicans in New England have done the same. I remember the blatant homophobia of the 1988 GOP convention with Pat Buchanan's notorious speech, and in 2012 this homophobia is kept bottled up in the party platform, which nobody reads much. Still considering everything, we still have a long way to go before meaningful change occurs in the Republican Party. I am 68 so I think I may have a 50-50 chance of seeing real change within my lifetime.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 30, 2012 12:19:33 PM

12. "but I firmly believe that we need some support in BOTH political parties before the gay tidal wave breaks the seawall."

Oh, that's most definitely true, Brian. But I think Republican support will come more from general societal change than from any *work* done from within by the LCR. As long as LCR is there saying, "Oh, okay, we'll still endorse Republicans regardless of what they say about us, or how they vote against us", what motivation does the Republican Party have to change? There is no power in acquiescence.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 12:35:29 PM

13. Uh, Cabinettes? Girlfriends? You're just realizing this about the RNC platform? Whew, chicas! I'd say lay off the White Party drugs for a while, stop bending over for your republicon tops and try and stand back from this co-dependent relationship you have with the republicons.

Maybe then you'll see that the republicon party offers you NOTHING! Stop thinking about all that dirty money you've made from your Wall Street investments or your poppa-daddy's trust fund or that in your ideal republicon party there won't be any of those icky drag queens and coloured people and get with the LGBT program.

The republicon party will never EVER accept you for who you are. You're just gonna keep getting abused, whipped, beaten, demeaned, humiliated and screwed time and again by the republicons.

But then, maybe that's what it's all about. You Cabinettes are so self-loathing, so self-hating that you WANT this abuse.

Sad.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 30, 2012 12:57:01 PM

14. I can understand some wealthy gays having a conservative economic stance, but the current Republican party has strayed from its identity as a legitimate conservative force. It is now a party of Machiavellian/Neo-fascist ideologues. LCR should read the writing on the wall and high-tail it out of there. If this slap on the face doesn't wake them up, what will?

Posted by: Frank | Aug 30, 2012 2:23:25 PM

15. Yet despite this they will still vote Republican. They are just attention seeking, immature morons. They are just trying to be different to get attention. We need to ignore them and stop giving them free publicity. It's because of self haters like this that we still don't have equal rights in the US. They stab us in the back every chance they get.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 30, 2012 4:24:25 PM

16. Attention LCR and GOProud:
    There's a lot of Republicans who believe that social issues can NOT be divorced from economic issues. That's how the Republican party has evolved over the past few decades. Right now, they're just trying to keep that a secret. If you still choose to vote Republican just consider what that means to the country as a whole.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 30, 2012 6:30:12 PM

17. No love lost for the LCR's. What the "F" did they think was going to happen? You can't deal with the Republican party. They are a bunch of old, wealthy men who want nothing more than to have things return to 1950 when women knew their place, blacks knew their place and fags were shot or just disappeared. Every woman (and a few fags) thinks they have a place in this party. They are either living in a dream or just plain stupid. This party is run by a few and for their exclusive use. Everyone else is just filler. LCR's are delusional. Their gullibility is annoying.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 30, 2012 6:58:26 PM

18. I would no more be a Log Cabin Republican than I would be a Dignity Catholic. I don't want to belong to a group that doesn't want me. However calling all republicans "pieces of s*it" or "American Taliban" is McCarthyism. There are many conservative republicans who are loyal patriotic Americans who just have a very different view of America than I do. They are not my ENEMY they are my political opponent. Still Americans just like me. That doesn't mean that I don't want to kick there a$$ in November.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 30, 2012 7:10:42 PM

19. As long as the GOP is in bed with the religious right - LCR would do a whole lot more good at least cheering for the other side. I can only hope - they finally 'got it'.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 30, 2012 7:55:57 PM