Deaths | New York | News

Longtime 'Cosmopolitan' Editor Helen Gurley Brown Dead at 90

Helen Gurley Brown, the former editor of Cosmopolitan, is dead at 90, the NYT reports:

BrownMs. Brown, who wrote “Sex and the Single Girl,” took over at the magazine — giving it its sexually frank tone — in 1965. She remained editor until 1997 and is still listed as editor in chief for Cosmopolitan International on all mastheads. Until her death, Ms. Brown was known for coming into her pink corner office nearly every day.

The Hearst statement reads: “It would be hard to overstate the importance to Hearst of her success with Cosmopolitan, or the value of the friendship many of us enjoyed with her. Helen was one of the world’s most recognized magazine editors and book authors, and a true pioneer for women in journalism—and beyond.”

Comments

1. RIP!

Posted by: Carlos | Aug 13, 2012 4:05:52 PM

2. Helen Gurley Brown was an enormous figure. My condolences to her family and friends.

However, Helen was also the female equivalent of Hugh Hefner, over-sexualizing women for the benefit of the advertisers who ran ads in her magazine. This also benefited sleazy straight guys. She contributed to the sleazy straight guy fantasy. Whenever you over-sexualize women through media, it ultimately benefits sleazy straight guys in the sexual sense.

Posted by: jason | Aug 13, 2012 6:57:56 PM

3. Don't feed the troll.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 13, 2012 10:50:14 PM

4. Is there a way to ban Rick/Jason? Who should I file a complaint with?

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 13, 2012 10:52:04 PM

5. @ Mateom: File it with Little Kiwi, he is one of the infallible ranters who tells us that the people who post things he disagrees with have no balls or that they are self loathing homos or will die alone. It only sounds mean spirited because IT IS!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 14, 2012 12:19:31 AM

6. Wow. I was feeling profound cultural loss and admiration for a legendary figure, and then? I read the 1st sentence of the Jason/Rick comment; and for just one fleeting second, I thought I was reading an admirable comment that would be dignified and up-lifting. But no. The Jason/Rick shows up...like the proverbial skunk at the garden party. The kind of troll/s that fail to realize that all the cool people at the party are SLOWLY exiting the stage "specifically" because they showed up. And Jason/Rick NEVER EVER get the hint. They think they're keeping things alive. But alas, they're too self-important, and too ignorant to see the forest for the trees. And in the end? at the end of the night? they walk out into the morning sun saying to themselves "wow! we really had a night didn't we?" When every one else bailed for better company hours earlier, got a few hours sleep, and is now having a nourishing breakfast. And yet there goes Jason/Rick waddling down the Boulevard like Peacocks...full of themselves, while utterly oblivious that what they're actually doing is the walk of shame. Way to go Jason. Way to take a moment of community loss, and stick your middle finger in every ones face. Completely wrong time and place to spew your opinion even if this is a blog. People with class don't have this problem. You sir: Have. No. Class. I'm sure this fact is quite evident to anyone who is unfortunate enough to ever see your face in person.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 14, 2012 1:25:17 AM

7. Very good brief and this post helped me alot. Say thank you I searching for your facts.

Posted by: replica designer handbags | Aug 14, 2012 3:53:27 AM

8. @Steve I am not Jason, but would you care to explain to us how the death of a whorish, self-involved, old straight woman represents a "community loss" for gay men or for men in general?

Believe it or not, some of us are not so mentally twisted and emotionally damaged that we find ourselves living vicariously through bitchy straight women or worshiping at their feet the way you apparently do....

But if you can answer my question without demonstrating the tendency I described in my second paragraph, by all means do......

Posted by: Rick | Aug 14, 2012 10:42:24 AM

9. Gentleman food without seeking full, no place in seeking security, sensitive to things and slow to speak, there Road Yan, can be described as eager to learn has also been

Posted by: indian designer sarees | Aug 15, 2012 1:35:30 AM

10. Before any of you heap any more scorn on the alleged troll remember this: Helen Gurley Brown told women, at the height of the AIDS crisis, that is was perfectly okay for straight women to have unprotected sex.

Posted by: Snottyboy | Aug 15, 2012 2:51:37 PM

11. Autoscanner obd obd2 coder reader eobd2 fault code reader U912 can be updated by internet.It suitable for almost all cars after 2001 (EOBD-II).It can Displays the DTC definitions ,reads and clears all generic, and some manufacturer, specific DTCs. lyj

Posted by: OBD2 Scanner | Aug 17, 2012 11:05:47 PM

12. Is stability the price Iraq will pay for sentencing Sunni VP to death?. You leave so useful information,I will share this info with my friends.

Posted by: Coach Outlet Store Online | Sep 10, 2012 4:41:26 AM

13. SBB V33 is a universal key programmer in immobilizer units on vehicles.Due to its integrated hardware 100Z

Posted by: sbb key programmer | Sep 16, 2012 10:49:13 PM

14. The point of the article is less to my taste, but the content is very rational!

Posted by: Microsoft Office 2010 | Sep 19, 2012 5:22:10 AM

15. Really happy to read your blog. This article is really great! Unique, hard to imagine, thank you for sharing this good article content.

Posted by: gm tech2 | Sep 20, 2012 11:55:39 PM

16. 2x Dental High Speed Handpieces Push Button 4-Hole
    mordern style design with good meterial would give your different feelings lyj

Posted by: vas 5054 | Sep 27, 2012 2:57:25 AM

17. "This is actually excellent! I have been spending an extra time checking out your iPhone App Setup because it is truly wonderful! I used to publish articles about car repair in Honolulu HI in my blog sites. This is definitely a success. Congratulations! "

Posted by: lehenga sarees online | Oct 18, 2012 6:44:40 AM

18. I agree with most of the points you make within this content.

Posted by: IT Consultants | Dec 6, 2012 12:16:53 PM

19. I agree with most of the points you make within this content.

Posted by: Multi Skills | Dec 6, 2012 12:35:50 PM

20. Thanks for letting us for signing this guestbook and I will take this opportunity.

Posted by: mens indowestern | Dec 28, 2012 12:58:55 AM

21. Excellent and decent post. Thanks for sharing the great ideas.You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

Posted by: Bollywood sarees | Jan 2, 2013 12:41:08 AM

22. Fuel efficient energy-saving light booster modification technique
    AK-47

Posted by: transponder chip key mitsubish | Jan 10, 2013 9:23:28 PM

23. I also think quality is vitally important ! But saying that, your articles are always a fab read., Keep up the good work

Posted by: Bollywood sarees | Jan 18, 2013 1:42:36 AM

24. Over protect "The Clark Kent Superman Leather Smallville Jacket" is available in all size.

Posted by: Celebswear.com | Apr 15, 2013 3:04:55 AM