Discrimination | Gay Marriage | Mississippi | News

Mississippi Gov: Everyone Should Be Allowed To Marry, Except The Gays

BryantMississippiThe state of Mississippi found itself facing its past when a predominantly white church, First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, last month refused to marry an African-American couple.

Gov. Phil Bryant was asked about the scandal this week and said that he believes everyone should be allowed marry, and that the church in question was in the wrong. So, what about same-sex couples, who are forbidden to tie the knot in Mississippi? Well there the answer changes.

From The Mississippi Press:

Bryant said the denial of a wedding for a black couple at a traditionally white church has "tainted" Mississippi's image nationwide.

"I'm sure there are very good people of Crystal Springs and in that Baptist church that don't feel that way and are supporting that effort," Bryant said of the Wilsons' desire to marry in the church.

"Look, when people want to get married, we ought to let them get married," Bryant said. "We have enough people that won't go and get married. I want to make every opportunity I can for any couple that wants to, to go get married."

Even gay couples?

"I wouldn't say gay couples, no," Bryant said. "I'd say a man and a woman. Let me make sure, let's get that right. When I say couples, I automatically assume it's a man and a woman."

His conservative politics are so deeply ingrained that they won't even let his imagination meander into the realm of same-sex love.

Comments

1. And that last quote is heteronormativity in a nutshell.

Posted by: luminum | Aug 2, 2012 9:18:17 PM

2. Mississippi's image was tainted well before this particular incident.

Posted by: cj | Aug 2, 2012 9:21:45 PM

3. It's not that the "conservativeness" is so ingrained that he can't imagine it. It's that he's an ignorant fool and doesn't think about the words he's actually saying.

Posted by: Tony | Aug 2, 2012 9:25:05 PM

4. I was born and raised in northeast Mississippi. I remember as a kid at the 1st Baptist in Columbus, Ms watching the Deacons of the church stand at every entrance door to the sanctuary when rumor had it that "black" people had plans to show up for worship. They were stationed at the door to turn away any black people. That was 53 years ago.
    God save me from your Mississippi Christians.

Posted by: Don | Aug 2, 2012 9:31:39 PM

5. We'll soon learn that this one is taking it up the ass while spitting out venom.

Posted by: LauraLooni | Aug 2, 2012 9:32:45 PM

6. I might be in the minority here but I believe that the church was within it's rights to be discriminatory and not marry the couple. If the marriage equality law in New York State allows a church not to marry same-sex couples, then how can a church be forced to marry non-white couples? Let them discriminate as much as they want. I would hope that every non-white member of that church has taken their tithes and gone elsewhere. The shame that the members of the church that hid their heads in the sand felt will become overwhelming eventually. I also believe that when marriage equality becomes the law of the land, people will realize that their own bigotry and hatred for same-sex couples will shame them. That is my hope.

Posted by: Tracy | Aug 2, 2012 9:38:20 PM

7. Another black homophobic governor!!! Black people are so homophobic!!!

Posted by: Mel Smith | Aug 2, 2012 9:55:24 PM

8. I don't think tainted was the correct word. Reinforced is more accurate.

Posted by: Laura | Aug 2, 2012 9:57:58 PM

9. I don't think tainted was the correct word. Reinforced is more accurate.

Posted by: Laura | Aug 2, 2012 9:57:59 PM

10. You just know that he would have been first in line to support the whites-only marriage policy at the church if that were still publicly acceptable. But it isn't. So he doesn't.

And what Tracy says is true. Churches are generally free to marry whichever couples they choose. So the church can do this. But society generally doesn't accept the kind of bigotry they were showing in this case, whereas much of society--including Gov. Automatically Assume--still has no problem expressing their bigotry towards gay couples.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 2, 2012 10:05:40 PM

11. Tracy.

I agree completely with your comment for the reasons you stated

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 2, 2012 10:32:53 PM

12. The similarities between what gay people experience today and what black people experienced yesterday are so prominent that it's startling how the conservatives wish to not see the parallels. The capacity in which the persecutions exist/existed may not be identical, but the format, principle, and discrimination are the same. In many ways, I'm left preplexed how gay people are CLEARLY the new flavor of the era to hate, and how soooooo many humans can't see the similarities?!

Posted by: JRoo | Aug 2, 2012 10:34:50 PM

13. Mississippi -showing the world again how they are in the forefront for equality for all in the CSA -err USofA ....

Posted by: nick | Aug 2, 2012 10:37:53 PM

14. It's going to take gay people ALL being actively involved in their rights to change the wave of societal homophobia.

Sadly, far too many gay people are indifferent toward helping the LGBT movement. They are weak minded, and frightened to combat the homophobia of their friends and family. You'd NEVER see a black person, latino person, Jewish person or female stand befriending someone who was against them....but gays? they will not only befriend a homophobe, they'll stick their neck out and say things like:

"well, my homophobic friend has every right to be homophobic. and they don't hate me. I mean they don't like beat me up or call me names, they just believe I'm a sin, what I do is evil, I don't deserve the same government rights and treatment as they do, and they would discourage me from having a family. but I still love hanging out with them"

The above is the mentality of many a gay people. THAT is why we are getting fired in some 30 states every day because we're gay. when you EXCUSE homophobia within your circle of friends....you have no wiggle room to demand change in homophobia within a society. Remember that.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Aug 2, 2012 10:39:42 PM

15. Thank you USC Trojans Fan. One of the most honest, real and truthful posts on this site I've ever read in all my years of visiting. You did sum it up.

Posted by: IonMusic | Aug 2, 2012 10:41:16 PM

16. @ USC Trojans Fan

Agreed 100%!

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Aug 2, 2012 10:41:41 PM

17. Just one more reason I need to get out of this state. It's one embarrassment after another.

Posted by: Andrew | Aug 2, 2012 10:44:07 PM

18. A great portion of homophobia does exist because our community have been enablers. I agree with that sentiment entirely.
    Just yesterday I was speaking to a gay friend who was telling me how hurt he was that his "friend" was going on and on in facebook rants against the gay community in regards to the Chik Fil A issue. This was apparentally a friend that my gay friend has been there for, and helped in their lives. I told my friend "well, what did you do in response? did you reply to their facebook rants and try to educate them? challenge them? explain to them WHY our rights are important to us? Did you attempt to do so privately atleast?" and his response was no, because he didn't want to offend him. A man who went out of his way to offend my friend, his livelihood, and the community he's part of; and my friend was fearful to be offensive to a man who had no issue being offensive himself. That is the deep rooted issue with our platform and strategy. We say "please give us rights. and if you choose not to, that's okay to. I accept you as is even if you don't accept me back"
    As USC Trojan Fan said above, you don't accomplish much progress with being complacent.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Aug 2, 2012 10:47:22 PM

19. there's a great Eastern teaching about the philosophy of 'good company'.

Western interpretation: you are the company you keep... choose those you associate with as they are reflections of your Self.

much sympathy for the couple refused marriage -- how long have they been associated with that congregation?

Where was the rest of the congregation when their union was denied?

then there's the 'your son loves my son' or 'your daughter loves my daughter' aspect...

following a moment of reflection, everyone joyously songs about God being Love. and Love being God.

lunch is served.

Posted by: my2cents | Aug 2, 2012 11:09:38 PM

20. Andrew,
    You've constantly made refernces to how it's not time for gay marriage yet and activists this, and gay community is too militant that, and now as it relates to interracial marriage- you're suddenly angry and shamed of people who are against that? How is your message consistent? You accept homophobia, but draw the line at racism. You're the type of person that cherry picks bigotry based on what doesn't apply to you, while waving your homophobic flag daily here.
    Clown.

Posted by: GoneGold1981 | Aug 2, 2012 11:21:33 PM

21. Yes, well said, USC Trojans Fan. Seeing the Vito Russo--and all his passion--doc last week brought this home to me. How timid and complacent we can be. Far too many are willing to give homophobia a pass among those they know because to call people on it might, god forbid, offend them. They believe that if we stay nice and quiet a polite in the face of it, somehow they'll like us and automatically acceptance and rights will be granted on a silver platter--whereas the opposite is true. If we don't draw attention to homophobia, especially of the "caring" kind, who will?

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 2, 2012 11:23:22 PM

22. This man literally doesn't even compute the idea of same sex couples. Like he's so homophobic that he genuinly can't even grasp that as an idea. And these are the people 'ruling' our states. In 2012. In America.

Posted by: Kilean | Aug 2, 2012 11:26:10 PM

23. USC Trojans Fan-

I really appreciate what you wrote. I lived in Northern California during the Prop 8 fiasco. I remember my younger gay friends mostly telling me they didn't care, and they'd rather just go to parties and clubs and not be involved in the most important social vote affecting the lives of those around them and their own lives in the future.

Fast forward today, and those same friends are ashamed and disgusted at their former outlook. Two of them are in loving relationships and obviously can't get married. I remind them constantly about how back then, they were far more engaged in going out and dancing as opposed to organizing and galvanizing and talking with their families.

It's never too late, and they are doing that now. But I know first hand, if ALL GLBT in our state actually cared, like truly cared about Prop 8 and it's vote,our side would have won with flying colors. And been the first state to win in the peope's vote, and the conservatives wouldn't have that banner to fly that "no state passed gay marriage through people's votes" California easily could have if our people CARED. It would have completely shifted the entire narrative here. Conservatives themselves resigned themselves to the fact that CA would pass gay marriage. When we didn't, it COMPLETELY energized and fueled the anti gay crowd. They said "if we can tackle and beat gays in CALIFORNIA, we can do so in every state" and they got their gift.
    Too many gay people in Cali just didn't care back in 2008 and didn't register the consequences of losing CA (which we are still facing today)

Posted by: Kilean | Aug 2, 2012 11:34:25 PM

24. Not only is Phil Bryant's comment regarding same sex marriage bigoted (no surprise there) it is a bit ironic given that his only son, Patrick, is gay. His director of communications is gay as well.

Posted by: ewing_ryan | Aug 2, 2012 11:48:38 PM

25. Oh give me a break. This is Mississippi; the stinkhole of the nation.
    Half of the Republicans there, which is to say half the state, rejects Loving v Virginia IN 2012. So spare me any attempt to make that state look evolved; it got shafted by evolution BIG TIME.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 3, 2012 12:14:28 AM