Charlie Rogers | Nebraska | News

BigGayDeal.com

Nebraska Woman Who Said She Was Attacked, Cut at Home to Be Charged with Faking Anti-Gay Hate Crime

Charlie Rogers, a Lincoln, Nebraska woman who said late last month that three men broke into her home, tied her up, carved 'dyke' into her stomach and the tried to set her home ablaze will be charged with fabricating the attack, NBC News reports:

RogersPolice said they interviewed Rogers on four separate occasions. Now, police said, because of inconsistences in her various accounts of the attack and forensic DNA evidence, a warrant has been issued for her arrest.

There was no apparent struggle in the room where Rogers said she was attacked on her bed, the warrant for her arrest says, which also described the bedspread as appearing “neat” and “evenly placed on the bed.”

“There was no apparent blood on the bedspread; even though Ms. Rogers reported she was rolled on to her stomach after she had been cut on her arms, abdomen, chest and front legs while being held down.”

Forensic tests of Rogers’ bedding at the University of Nebraska Medical Center found no traces of blood.

Additionally, the FBI sent photos of the cuts on Rogers to a coroner’s physician for Lancaster County, who consulted with Dr. Michelle Elieff, a forensic pathologist. According to the warrant, Elieff said Rogers’ cuts appeared to be self-inflicted.

Other evidence did not hold up either. Police are expected to arrest Rogers today.

Said Rogers in an interview shortly after the alleged attack, which prompted vigils which hundreds of people attended:

"The idea that people think it's a lie is so hurtful. It's understandable. Intellectually I understand that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around what happened. So do I. But I'm a person, with feelings, with concerns. It's just so...it feels like a punch in the stomach. Like a betrayal, instead of the focus being on safety, healing...I'm not a pawn in a game. I'm a person."

UPDATE: Rogers has been arrested.

Charlie Rogers was arrested after meeting with investigators Tuesday afternoon. The Omaha World-Herald reports Rogers appeared in court Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to the charge of false reporting. Her attorney, Brett McArthur, told the paper “To go through such a tramatic (sic) experience as she has been through and now be accused of a crime has made this even more difficult.”

Comments

1. Since she wants an ass whipping, I'll gladly give her a legit beatdown for being so myopic and stupid.

Posted by: Joey Y | Aug 21, 2012 8:32:20 PM

2. I'm actually a bit surprised this doesn't happen more often, as much as we are maligned and villainized.

She lives in Lincoln, NB. She's heard all her life how defective we are, how unworthy of salvation we are unless we change the things about us that most of us know only too well can not be altered. Things our enemies claim are our "choice", a "choice" we are condemned to eternal damnation for.

That more of us aren't mentally ill, violent, suicidal, or homicidal is actually surprising. Just how much can mere humans take ?

So as awful as what she's done is, as much as it hurts our cause, I just can't find it in me to be angry with her, I can't, I'm sorry.

We shouldn't forget for a moment who and what it was cracked THAT egg, we need to focus on THAT.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 21, 2012 8:49:21 PM

3. Antigay Christians are being taught by antigay Christians who work for the CIA on how to use psychological warfare to destroy LGBT people similar to how this nut job tried to make gays look bad.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 21, 2012 9:06:36 PM

4. How do we know these fake attacks aren't perpetrated by agent provacateurs?

Posted by: Bruce | Aug 21, 2012 9:48:06 PM

5. We're seeing actually a pretty alarming trend of these hate crimes being obviously fake or with very little backstory and follow up after the fact. It's not a good thing and it does make one wonder, if we're seeing the damage of homophobia rear it's ugly head, especially given most of these fake hate incidents (and percentage wise a majority of legitimate hate crimes) are occurring in more conservative states/cities. Or if we're seeing people being paid to fabricate false stories in an attempt to destroy our communities' reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if that was happening. In any case, it's awful.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 21, 2012 9:55:15 PM

6. @Snowisfun
    I wouldn't be surprised that you were "impersonating" or "defaming" yourself; everything you write has signs of mental illness.

Posted by: charz | Aug 21, 2012 10:48:00 PM

7. Now, the important thing to take away here is that there were MANY who were insisting that those of us who were skeptical were some kind of horrible monsters, that we were blaming the victim and were essentially just as bad as the aledged perps. Please people, skepticism is a GOOD THING, not a horrible thing. Y'all were sounding like Xtian fundies there.

Oh..... TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!! Mr. Demille, I'm waiting for my appolgies...... ;)

Posted by: Hmmmmm... | Aug 21, 2012 11:32:19 PM

8. Ray Sager? Are you out there? Care to comment?

Posted by: Hmmmmm... | Aug 22, 2012 12:25:55 AM

9. That so many of us living in conservative areas are driven to mental illness, drug abuse, and suicide is something that nags at me.

How can we build a real and vibrant "community" when we're constantly under siege, and so geographically distant from one another ?

It's easy to succumb to paranoia in relative isolation.

I particularly feel for people that don't have someone that loves them, that they can love back in their lives. It's a transformative experience. It's what our enemies most fear we'll eventually accomplish - the transition from being ineffectual and self destructive to confident and visibly not what we've been made out to be.

They want us isolated, alone, drunk, despaired and dying. Nothing makes them more angry than us raising healthy families and living our lives happy and without fear and shame.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 22, 2012 12:26:47 AM

10. Who else called this from the start?

Posted by: TikiHead | Aug 22, 2012 1:45:38 AM

11. I wouldn't be quick to jump on the police's side. The police can get it wrong even with a lot of evidence. Last night the Elizabeth Smart movie was on and it showed the police declaring the screen door was cut from the inside and accusing the parents of doing something with Elizabeth. We all know Elizabeth was abducted by a stranger.

At the same time I felt from the start this was likely a hoax because it didn't fit into past anti-lesbian attacks I've read about. Usually anti-lesbian attacks are very brutal and sometimes involve rape or some type of act with the genitals.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 22, 2012 1:47:18 AM

12. For pitty's sake. Hell was she even gay? Was this just a mental case seeking attention? She has to pay the penalty for her actions. The sad truth is this hurts when an actual case of assults on lgbt happen.

Posted by: Mighty | Aug 22, 2012 2:40:55 AM

13. I would also suggest that "SNOWISFUN" seeks mental help.

Posted by: DanSwon | Aug 22, 2012 5:19:50 AM

14. She's not a disgrace. She's probably mad. Serious emotional problems: self-harmign, particularly cutting and scratching, is so common with such women that it cosntitutes a distinct behavior pattern. Then then she dressed it up with some imagined attack or compulsive lying. Cry for help. Pity her. She's not like the people who vanadlise their own houses: this lady has a real problem.

Posted by: Steerpike | Aug 22, 2012 5:42:46 AM

15. Yeah this was a no-brainer. She had the look of someone playing with a full orchestra of crazy.

Posted by: Otkon | Aug 22, 2012 6:14:50 AM

16. like Bill, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that last time I checked the Lincoln NE police department is not necessarily known as outstanding... police (in most cases still a homophobic institution) get stuff wrong all the time... a forensic judging from a picture? really?

anyway, whatever the case, if she's lying or not, name calling her will make us no better than the ones that name call us... we should never emulate the ones that oppress us...

we have bigger enemies, so to speak, and while, if guilty, what she did was not right, she is not our biggest detractor.... if mental illness is involved, she deserves our compassion...

Posted by: V-8 | Aug 22, 2012 6:40:37 AM

17. What has happened to the moderation of comments on this site???

Has it disappeared completely?

I cannot make a comment that uses any curse words, but somehow "Snowisfun" can say whatever they want, curse, verbally defile everyone here and get away with it.

Something very wrong is happening on Towleroad.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 22, 2012 7:12:11 AM

18. I agree with Johnny about comment moderation. I used to comment on here from time to time but the commentors here were just terrible so I quit even visiting the site, unless following a link from another website to a specific story. I came over here today because of a link from JMG.

And once I get here what do I have to see? Those awful comments from, what was it, snowball (?)

I like commenting on the stories and reading other comments ABOUT THE STORIES. I quit coming here because there was to much back and forth, one commenter criticizing another commentor, name calling etc. The last straw that drove me away was when those beautiful wedding videos were posted. And people would make derogatory comments on the beautiful wedding videos. That tore me up as I could easily visualize the people who graciously shared their beautiful wedding videos checking in and seeing those horrible, just plain mean, comments.

I tweeted TLR and told them that they need to clean out comments on this topic. If you don't want to clean your own house then hire a cleaning lady.

Back on topic, I called it right away that I would reserve judgement until the investigation was complete. I felt bad about the big vigil/protest that was held, I really thought that there was a strong "possibility" that this was a hoax and that we should proceed with caution.

Posted by: StraightGrandmother | Aug 22, 2012 7:43:17 AM

19. There's never been any comment moderation on this site except for some automated screening of curse words. I've been asking for Andy to clean up the racist cesspool the comments often become for years but been totally ignored, and I agree the comments attacking the wedding videos are deplorable. But unless the commenter uses a swear word, it's pretty much anything goes, which is really unfortunate on many levels.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 22, 2012 8:06:26 AM

20. Well, I am thrilled to hear that such a horrific crime has not been committed.

Posted by: rb | Aug 22, 2012 9:52:39 AM

21. Well, I am thrilled to hear that such a horrific crime has not been committed.

Posted by: rb | Aug 22, 2012 9:52:45 AM

22. I called it from the start. And I'm not remotely surprised she lied and made the whole thing up. There's many people like her out there. I don't know if they're just narcissistic attention seekers, lonely, whatever, but there's A LOT of them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 22, 2012 10:31:44 AM

23. As with this c*nt, so it is with the alleged "shooter" at the FRC last week. Let's just say that the "shooter" didn't act on his own volition. Let's just say that there was recompense. Ask Tony Perkins. He'd know all about this.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 22, 2012 12:04:24 PM

24. Big surprise! Will the commenters on here who were so mean to me because of my skepticism over this incident be apologizing now? I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: Byron St. James | Aug 22, 2012 1:58:13 PM

25. There are too many of these incidents occurring and those outside the glbt community is going to think all the gay bashing incidents are bogus, these liars need to be prosecuted in the most vigorous manner possible and these people need to be jailed for filing false reports. I don't care how mentally ill they are they are doing a terrible thing reporting these bogus events.

Posted by: lk | Aug 22, 2012 4:15:27 PM