Pat Robertson | Religion

Pat Robertson On The Dangers Of International Adoption

M219393663Rev. Pat Robertson angered some of his co-religionists this week, when on the 700 Club he seemed to suggest that international adoption is bad idea.

What occasioned the corrupt old shaman's suggestion was a letter, read aloud on the air by co-host Kristi Watts, from a woman expressing frustration about her dating difficulties, which she believed stemmed from her having adopted three young girls from different countries. Kristi Watts was sympathetic. Robertson was less so. The Christian Post has transcribed Robertson's remarks:

"A man doesn't want to take on the United Nations, and a woman has all these various children, blended family, what is it – you don't know what problems there are. I'm serious. I've got a dear friend, an adopted son, a little kid from an orphanage down in Columbia. Child had brain damage, grew up weird. And you just never know what's been done to a child before you get that child. What kind of sexual abuse has been, what kind of cruelty, what kind of food deprivation, etc. etc." the televangelist said.

Robertson continued: "You don't have to take on somebody else's problems. You really don't. You can help people – we administer to orphans all over the world, we love helping people. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to take all the orphans around the world into my home.

Russell Moore, the massively influential Evangelical writer and dean of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, offered a swift and -- in the very best sense of the word -- Christian rebuke:

I am taking a deep breath here and reciting Beatitudes to myself. I had promised never to mention Robertson here again. Every few months he says some crazy scandalous thing. He blames 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina on gays and lesbians, cozies up to the Chinese coercive and murderous one-child policy, counsels a man that he can divorce his Alzheimer’s-riddled wife because she’s “not there” anymore.

Let me just say this bluntly. This is not just a statement we ought to disagree with. This is of the devil.

... The issue here isn’t just that Robertson is, with cruel and callous language, dismissing the Christian mandate to care for the widows and orphans in their distress. The issue is that his disregard is part of a larger worldview. The prosperity and power gospel Robertson has preached fits perfectly well with the kind of counsel he’s giving in recent years ... For too long, we’ve let our leaders replace the cross with an Asherah pole. Enough is enough.

Jesus was, after all, one of those adopted kids. Joseph of Nazareth was faced with a pregnant woman he could easily have abandoned ...

And he didn't, according to Robertson's Bible, even though the kid might've turned out "weird."

Robertson, aghast at and unused to being called "of the devil," promptly issued an apology:

Today, on live television, I misstated my heartfelt dedication and commitment to helping orphans. For decades, I have supported adoption, and have helped tens of thousands of children worldwide.

I wanted to say, but it didn’t come out the way I intended, that adoption is not for everyone.

The mother of three adopted children, who wrote in about her boyfriend’s issue with her children, did a wonderful, unselfish act to adopt and I respect her immensely. Yet, adoption might not be a fit for her boyfriend. If that is the case, she needs to find someone who better shares her passion for adoption.

Adoptive parents are taking on enormous responsibility, both emotionally and financially. Quite frankly, they need as much disclosure as possible about the child’s background and health to assure the best fit and be prepared.

In answering the letter writer, this is what I meant to say. If any doubt remains, I ask you to please look at what I’ve done over the years to help orphans.

Comments

1. I agree guys. Stop feeding the trolls an focus on the story at hand. The enemy is the religious zealots, not what some useless troll who tries to derail the discussion says on here. Focus.

Posted by: Greg Cali | Aug 18, 2012 11:45:56 PM

2. Religion is seriously the most dangerous tool brainwashing our young

Posted by: Fiat | Aug 18, 2012 11:48:44 PM

3. As a adopted child who was born with a cleft palate, speech, and hearing difficulties and thus having a rather sickly life my parents raised me as their own and my mother is a pillar of support and love even though I was not born as "Hers"... Pat Robertson is a wing nut who is about as sincere and kind as a staph infection and he should be "cured" with a endless holiday in a small room alone.

There are endless children on the planet who could become fantastic individuals if they were adopted by someone who wants to love and care for a child that becomes "their own" That is what makes humanity work not mindless, selfish, bigoted rants and ideas such as someone like Pat Robertson does to gain support or attention from the worlds oddballs.

Posted by: Darrell | Aug 19, 2012 2:42:46 AM

4. I am Wondering If Rev. Pat Robertson Has Schedule the Surgery to have his head and my foot removed from his Ass? This Is One Person That Does Not Deserve To Have The Title Of REVEREND Before His Name. Last time I heard "JESUS LOVES THE LITTLE CHILDREN, ALL THE CHLIDREN OF THE WORLD" the word EXCEPT was no where found in the Lyrics. This is from a man who has attempted to run for President of the United States. Imagine What This Country would be like now, if he had on. WHAT A JOKE AND A BIGOT!!!!

Posted by: Kent Poteete | Aug 19, 2012 7:53:12 AM

5. Marion is losing it...even more than he already has!

Posted by: UGH | Aug 19, 2012 12:43:13 PM

6. I'm not generally a fan of Pat Robertson. He's said way too many crazy things over the years and many of us in the evangelical really wish he'd retire. However, here I think he might be defended. Possibly he really didn't explain his views clearly enough. He wasn't dissing ALL adoption, or even all foreign adoptions. I'm sure there are cases where adopting from a foreign country turns out to be a mistake, altough the only foreign adoption I know of personally (an Italian-American relative of mine who adopted a Hungarian boy) worked out well.

But the good news is that Robertson apologized and explained himself more fully. Also, note that the criticism came from WITHIN the evangelical world. Also, note that this other pastor condemns Robertson for blaming 9/11 on gays and lesbians. This is a step forward for gay rights. OK, a small step. But it's something.

Posted by: Mary | Aug 19, 2012 1:58:52 PM

7. I re-read this article and now realize something else - maybe the men this woman has been dating just don't want to be a Dad to someone else's kids. Taking on 3 kids that are not yours is a lot to ask of anyone. Maybe they're using the fact that the kids are foreign-borm as an excuse to reject dating this woman.

Posted by: Mary | Aug 19, 2012 2:09:09 PM

8. @Mary. I see what you're saying. In which case Mr. Robertson should have said "Maybe he's not the right man for you since he can't accept your adopted children."

Instead, Mr. Robertson said "You stupid woman! Didn't you know that no man would want you if you adopted kids. What every man really wants is his own kid, made with his very own sperm. Get rid of the kids and this guy will go crazy for you!"

I wonder what he would have said if the woman had three children from her deceased husband, who had died while serving his country in the war in Iraq? I bet old Pat would have gotten after the boyfriend for being unpatriotic by not marrying her.

Posted by: james | Aug 20, 2012 1:22:17 AM

9. It's better to adopt a minority child; they make up over half of foster children yet account for much less than half of adoptions.

Posted by: Nathan | Aug 20, 2012 8:49:40 AM

10. I cannot wait for Pat Robertson to die so I can literally dance on his grave.

Posted by: acorlando | Aug 20, 2012 8:54:40 AM

11. He's just another wlaking hate group who takes the fools money

the same ahole who said of the hatian earthquake "they deserved it"

his wierd smile is almost identical to a pix a jewish holocaust survivor showed me of Eichmann being led to the Gallows, proud of what he had done

Right wing xtianity is just like extremist islam - a curse on humanity and a business to fleed the fools of their money.

Selling them an insurance policy against death.

Time to end religious freedom and try all these crooks under the RICO act.

Posted by: billyWingartenson | Aug 24, 2012 6:23:52 PM