2012 Election | Mitt Romney | Paul Ryan | Video

Rep. Paul Ryan's Coming-Out Speech: VIDEO

ComingOutParty

Rep. Paul Ryan is known for his wonky, information-packed speeches. Today, after Mitt Romney introduced Ryan as his running mate -- and after Ryan strode manfully, tielessly forth from the belly of the USS Wisconsin -- Ryan delivered a speech that was anti-wonky, and almost totally information-free. He sounded like he knew it, too. Ryan looked profoundly uncomfortable, save for a brief stretch in the middle of his address during which he talked about numbers and money. Mostly, the message was: Barack Obama's the problem, Mitt's the solution. Rephrase and repeat 'til the message sticks.

Sample applause line:

America is on the wrong track. But Mitt Romney and I will take the right steps, in the right time, to get us back on the right track.

Good to know. Watch Paul Ryan to talk to you like you're a toddler, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Why is it that every time I look at that picture, I keep expecting them both to be holding hands?

Posted by: Oz in OK | Aug 11, 2012 6:02:55 PM

2. What a pig. And he looks really ugly and goofy in up close pictures.

Posted by: Pig | Aug 11, 2012 6:25:08 PM

3. Woah guys, simmer down! Obamas trash talking character assasination tactics are rubbing of on you. I'd say the Left is about as bad as the Right. I look forward to hearing more from the guy before I judge. I already like his fiscally responsible reputation.

Ok now start trashing me. I know I'm a self hating blah blah blah. I can take it.

Posted by: Bri | Aug 11, 2012 8:00:42 PM

4. I think we can trust them to cut taxes on the wealthy -- even if they have to start two more wars (Iran and Syria). This strategy worked out so well for Bush/Cheney I'm sure Romney/Ryan will run a replay.

The wealthy make such a massive contribution to society just by their mere existence that they should not have to pay taxes at all. Even if it is their assets that are protected by the Homeland Security and Defense Department it is the middle class that should bear the expense.

It's a great day to be a Republican!!!

Posted by: traditional republican | Aug 11, 2012 8:28:26 PM

5. @Guest: Who is Eyan? Do you mean Ryan? Is the worst thing that you can say about him is that you think he might be gay?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 12, 2012 1:10:57 AM

6. According to the AP, all potential VP candidates were asked to submit "several years of tax returns". What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

In addition, back in April, the RC Bishops condemned his budget proposal as "immoral".

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 12, 2012 7:10:38 AM

7. We'll have to see which is worse - a budget which fails to protect the poor, which the RC Bishops have condemned and the nuns have valiantly worked against for years; or marriage equality which has gotten the nuns in hot water with the Vatican because of their work of social justice. I think the LGBT community and its allies already know the answer:(

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 12, 2012 7:36:10 AM

8. So, Freudian slip on Romney's part (calling Ryan the next President)... guess he expects Ryan to run the show, the same way that Cheney did for Bush. Yeah, that worked so well.

Posted by: John | Aug 12, 2012 9:28:45 AM

9. I wonder how far down the list Romney had to go before Ryan accepted. I can't believe he was the first choice.

Ryan has so much baggage Romney is going to have an even heavier load to haul down the campaign trail.

Posted by: making the best of it? | Aug 12, 2012 2:08:14 PM

10. Keep digging. Someone mentioned that he couldn't "even comb his hair." Sounds like the futile last gasp of indignation before it is overwhelmed into resignation. Only a few months to know...

Posted by: G | Aug 12, 2012 3:05:54 PM

11. PIG: Even seen Joe Biden in a close up pictures?

Posted by: G | Aug 12, 2012 3:55:24 PM