News | Piers Morgan | Roseanne Barr

BigGayDeal.com

Roseanne Barr's Love Life Is Not Like Those Of Her Gay Siblings: VIDEO

RoseanneMorgan

Comedienne and quixotic presidential candidate Roseanne Barr will appear on tonight's installment of Piers Morgan Tonight, um, tonight, and to whet the public's appetite, CNN released video of Barr discussing her love life.

Asks Morgan, "How many times have you been properly in love in your life?" to which Barr replies:

There were many times in my life where I was in love, I'll just have to say that, many times… And I happen to be in love right now. I'm not like my gay sister, and my gay brother that have both been with the same partner for 25 and 26 years, respectively. I, as a straight person, have not been able to hold any relationship together as well as they [can].

Watch Barr's remarks AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. @ GARY-no offense to your brother, but, what is that supposed to mean?

Is that implying that homosexual peoples are really twisted, confused pervs by definition, and "gay" is too mainstream, and you or your brother need a new word to make homosexual sound edgy or daring- or glamorous ? Why, if that is the case?

Again, no offense, but your words sound like the beginnings of arguments from conservatives against marriage equality- who say that being gay is all about being rebellious, and daring, and against the flow- when that isn't what "being gay" or whatever is all about. That kind of argument is just a cop-out to get out of being accused of homophobia. Being gay isn't a choice- it's simply who you are. It doesn't make me or anyone of us more or less special to be gay.

The gay rights movement isn't about being this kind of gay or that kind of gay- it's about showing the rest of the world we are people, too- and advocating and fighting for equal rights and respect. It isn't about preserving this definition of gay or that bit of gay culture- our community is so diverse we don't need to get wrapped up in silly arguments over "what it means to be a gay man/lesbian woman." We share one uniting, wonderful factor- that we love. And that is what we are fighting for- the chance to love and be loved as every person who comes into this world wants to be.

Posted by: scott | Aug 10, 2012 1:57:11 AM

2. @Gary. You're speaking my language, friend. Thanks for sharing one of the most enlightened comments I've ever seen on this site. It's too bad so many people can't see the way in which the meaning of relationships have been usurped by the push for gay marriage and all the consumerist accoutrements that attend it. While I'm certainly for equal rights under the law, I think it's a shame that more gay people don't want to discuss what the possible negative implications of the normalization of certain relationships could mean for others. I, for one, find it endlessly annoying and frustrating to have to answer the question, "So, when are you getting married?!" and see the disappointment in people's eyes when I tell them I'm happy with my relationship just the way it is. Suddenly, without marriage, my relationship means less than it did before. I find that to be very sad for gay people, even if I respect the decision of those who do desire marriage for themselves.

Posted by: aaron | Aug 10, 2012 2:11:22 AM

3. I have to laugh at all the people who feel that just because they aren't interested in marriage, those of us who are have somehow damaged what it means to be "gay", which has always been a BS social contrivance anyway.

Oh, poor you, people ask you now when you're getting married, life is so hard.

Meanwhile, those of us that live where we can't get married, and where it looks like we won't be able to anytime soon have to deal with all you buttwipes that think moving out of the bars and clubs, away from the drugs and idiocy has a downside.

If you want to talk about the "possible negative implications", let's hear them !

What ARE they ?

So my marriage somehow hurts your relationship... How exactly does your trivial inconvience even matter ?

Posted by: PogoGoGo | Aug 10, 2012 4:20:55 AM

4. I love her publicity stunt in running for president.

Remember that since US democracy was sold to the corporations, the office of President is not an office that deserves any respect any more.

Posted by: SteveC | Aug 10, 2012 4:33:14 AM

5. Just because someone says they support gay rights doesn't make everything else they say and do Okay. I think Roseanne Barr is just an older version of Snooki. She is a loud mouth, rude and vulgar person. Her silly presidential run was done by another marginal comedian named Pat Paulson about 40 years ago.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 10, 2012 4:37:11 AM

6. @Aaron

I do not want to discuss the possible effects of the normalization of same-sex marriage on gay couples who choose not to marry because the relationships of others are none of my business. I make choices for my relationship on the basis of what is best for my relationship. Your relationship does not even enter the equation.

Moreover, one cannot be made to feel inferior without his consent. I do not feel that my relationship is inferior because I cannot be legally married. If you feel that your relationship "suddenly means less" because others can be legally married, then that is your insecurity, and I find that very sad.

The implication of your post is that gay people should reconsider marriage because it creates a societal expectation that makes you feel that you relationship is inferior and leads to questions you find annoying and frustrating. If that is the case, then you will have to put your big boy pants on, because that is not a legitimate complait that is even worthy of consideration.

Posted by: bbg372 | Aug 10, 2012 5:38:26 AM

7. To all the haters: Get educated and get over it!

Rosanne has always fought for human rights for gay people. She fought to include the first gay kiss on a sitcom; she and another woman.

You are just bitter and resentful of her success. She has been an influential and tireless defender of the gay community and I am ashamed of the poisonous attacks the gay haters spew at her.

Rosanne, you rule and I thank you for all you do for the GLBT community. Just ignore the haters.

Posted by: truthteller | Aug 10, 2012 6:12:45 AM

8. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

Posted by: Morrissey | Aug 10, 2012 8:28:00 AM

9. A bunch of haters out thear,thay dont know the trouth whean thay hear it. Is thear any wone out there who thinks politics is any thing but a two headed dragon,which which head of that destructiv beast do you wont making desions for your childreans lives and futer the obamination or the rumdumies think it though haters at least she would not be on the take or a power trip much beter than Hilery the pupet playing the part that is best for her political futer with out a thought of the american people in mind we are hurting it's geting bad real bad. Barr may not be the next pres. but she makes more sense thain a two headed dragon hate all you wont but the trouth will stand whean the world is on fire and that's the trouth

Posted by: Blair | Aug 10, 2012 9:33:50 AM

10. I don/t get it. there is nothing in this two minutes thar she said was offensive. Her sitcom was about the myth of the Reagan Revolution. It was about families who had union jobs losing them and having to work two or three part time jobs to support their families. It was about how women in these families dealt with that and it portrayed families much more sympathetic to gay friends and offspring that really was at the time. Only "I am the only gay in the village" would take issue with her. You guys are wankers

Posted by: james | Aug 10, 2012 9:41:16 AM

11. I'm a bit torn when it comes to Roseanne. I respect her politics, for the most part, but it's hard to appreciate someone like her because no one else does. You can espouse good ideas and political ideals but none of that really matters in the end if you are so loud and brash that no one pays attention or cares. I like her but, in the end, she has little sway in politics and should stay out of them.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 10, 2012 10:21:12 AM

12. Honestly I'd rather see Roseanne back on TV in another sit-com than doing a fake Presidential campaign, but I appreciate what she's done for the gay community in the past, love her and her show, even if she DOES have a tendency to go off half-cocked. Better half of one than none at all!

So far as the charge that Gay Marriage is ruining all the subversive fabulousness that was the gay community, I understand the criticism but don't agree. It's about CHOICES and it's about rights. Some people don't WANT to be the bohemian subversive, that's not who they are. The white-picket-fence marriage thing isn't for everyone and that's OK too- in fact it's a terrible choice for some of the people who DO marry because they do it for the wrong reasons- to get parental and societal approval for not being one of those "bad gays" when that's who they really want to be. Don't use marriage to hide, especially if your partner doesn't know that's what you're doing. That's no more fair than a closet case banging guys all over the place while his wife wonders what's wrong with HER.

But marriage isn't an either/or, that OR the alleged subversive fabulosity of the gay community. Both can exist at the same time, both worthy of respect. Both can exist at different times in the lives of individuals. But arguing that fighting for the right to marry is somehow taking something from YOU is the same argument the one-man/one-woman people use, and it doesn't make any more sense.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 10, 2012 11:45:18 AM

13. @BBG372 Way to nail it. People like @Aaron have no point at all.

Posted by: BenR | Aug 10, 2012 1:19:02 PM

14. Scott: "It's about showing the world...." Before "equality" we didn't have to show the world anything. So, get married in today's world. Be my guest, if it means so much. Understand how welcoming the world will be.

Posted by: Gary | Aug 10, 2012 4:06:23 PM

15. I really like this woman. She speaks her mind and I happen to agree with most of what she says. I feel that people who don't like her are too dimwitted to understand her, so they insult her in really embarrassing ways.

Posted by: ludsa | Aug 10, 2012 4:17:13 PM