Catholic Church | News | Salvatore Cordileone | San Diego | San Francisco

SF Archbishop's Mom Talks About His DUI, 'The Gays': VIDEO

Archbishop

San Diego's CBS affiliate caught up with the mother of Oakland Bishop Salvatore Cordileone, who was arrested for drunk driving in San Diego over the weekend. Mama Cordileone says that people just kept filling up the 'Father of Prop 8's' glass.

CordileoneThe newly appointed SF Archbishop, Cordileone released a statement:

While visiting in San Diego this past weekend, I had dinner at the home of some friends along with a priest friend visiting from outside the country and my mother, who lives near San  Diego State University. While driving my mother home, I passed through a DUI checkpoint the police had set up near the SDSU campus before I reached her home, and was found to be over the California legal blood alcohol level.

"I apologize for my error in judgment and feel shame for the disgrace I have brought upon the Church and myself. I will repay my debt to society and I ask forgiveness from my family and my friends and co-workers at the Diocese of Oakland and the Archdiocese of San Francisco.  I pray that God, in His inscrutable wisdom, will bring some good out of this."

Cordileone's mother hopes he'll be successful in San Francisco, where "the gays" are very active.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Comments

1. Chasing his 88 year old mother down for comments is in total bad taste.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 28, 2012 11:05:43 PM

2. So telling that the one thing she has to say about her son's job, is about fighting the gays. These people need to find something else to do!

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Aug 29, 2012 5:33:00 AM

3. Amazes me how Mom and the Archie Bishie minimize his responsibility for his personal decision to drive while drunk. "They kept filling his glass." "I was with Mum visiting with a friend from out the country." Mumsie he endangered your life - along with college students around San Diego State - when he drove you home. Stop defending him.

Oh, and it doesn't look like she was chased down. She was on her front porch - and certainly not out of breath - while defending his drunkenness to the reporter.

Posted by: Mitch | Aug 29, 2012 8:43:17 AM

4. Mrs. Cordileone, would you be surprised if you found out that your son had had multiple inappropriate sexual relationships with males under the age of 14?

Posted by: Just Askin | Aug 29, 2012 2:06:08 PM

5. Wow! Where's the open-minded tolerance? Maybe the arch-bishop was just born this way, can't change who he is, and needs to be embraced for the love of diversity and differences he brings. God knows there's a butt load of bars in the Castro district, and there are probably lots of very wet Shirley temples over there. And if his name were Teddy and he left a girl to drown in his car, you'd all vote for him.

Posted by: Mick | Sep 3, 2012 8:46:33 PM

6. Yeah, would love to hear her explanation for all of the pedophiles in the church. --they just kept sending them children-- what a joke

Posted by: hornlongjohn | Sep 28, 2012 9:48:17 AM

7. Mick- What are you talking about? Teddy, really, wrong side of the country dude. ANd what exactly do you mean by "born this way"? His hatred? Hmmm, maybe some are born hateful, but the catholic church does a pretty good job of spreading that itself. So question really is- was he born hateful or did he become that way in the catholic church? Truthfully though, we don't really care. Send him back to the rock that he crawled out from under

Posted by: hornlongjohn | Sep 28, 2012 9:54:22 AM