Crime | Neo-Nazis | News | Wisconsin

BigGayDeal.com

Sikh Temple Killer ID'ed as Wade Michael Page, White Supremacist

The shooter who left six people dead at a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin over the weekend has been identified as Wade Michael Page, a white supremacist who was given a "less-than-honorable discharge" from the military in 1998, USA Today reports:

PageThe Southern Poverty Law Center, a group that has studied hate crimes for decades, says on its website that Page was a frustrated neo-Nazi who had been the leader of a racist white-power band known as End Apathy.

Heidi Beirich, director of the center's intelligence project, tells the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that her group had been tracking Page since 2000, when he tried to purchase goods from the National Alliance, a well-known hate group.

Beirich says there was "no question" Page was an ardent follower and believer in the white supremacist movement. She said her center had evidence that he attended "hate events" around the country.

"He was involved in the scene," she said.

Page was killed in a shootout with police.

Comments

1. HE WAS NOT ALONE. WITNESSES REPORT THERE WERE FOUR, I REPEAT FOUR INDIVIDUALS DRESSED IN BLACK WHO DID THIS CRIME. SO WHY IS THE MEDIA REPORTING JUST ONE. INTERESTING. GOOGLE AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. NAMASTE AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Aug 6, 2012 12:11:14 PM

2. I have no idea why people thinking typing in all CAPS is a convincing tactic. IT IS A LITTLE HOT OUTSIDE, SO YOU MIGHT CONSIDER DRINKING MORE WATER. See? Even that tame advice looks completely insane. Lay down a for a bit, The Queen.

Posted by: Aram Vartian | Aug 6, 2012 12:25:49 PM

3. Good riddance to a brain-dead, redneck fool. This is such a sad waste of human life. Those poor people!

Posted by: Tophu628 | Aug 6, 2012 12:42:49 PM

4. lol @ARAM VARTIAN

Posted by: Luke | Aug 6, 2012 12:44:05 PM

5. I'd suggest this guy was having a kind of midlife crisis and his violent act was precipitated by a domestic break up. Unfortunately, it's not unusual for men and boys to violently 'act out' when they're frustrated beyond their capacity to cope. As a society we need to do a lot more to help men and boys cope with adversities, especially when many lack enough of a social and familiar support network, unlike in general,females. Social services are of course overwhelmingly centered around females, while society expects guys to 'deal with it' and fend for themselves. James Holmes would be an even better example of this phenomena. This problem crosses ALL socio-economic, racial and ethnic lines [with the caveat that the well off can afford the best of unlimited top notch psychiatric care]. IMO the issue of so many inner city minority young males being involved extreme violence can also be traced to lack of a support network in their lives and a society that generally cares more about girls and women and their needs than it does boys and men.

I suppose it's a blessing police killed Page, I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt if he had anything useful to contribute to why he did what he did.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 12:48:06 PM

6. I empathize with the victims. But some of you should be reminded if you aren't aware that many places around the world are quite violent and India is one of the worse for violent ethnic and religious strife. The U.S. is tame by comparison to [for example] India or Brazil, to name just two places. I think some become a little to smug and complacent with our generally very open and liberal society, compared to most of the especially non-western world.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 12:51:56 PM

7. Don't feed the trolls.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Aug 6, 2012 12:57:33 PM

8. How predictable: in a post about a white supremacist with ties to hate groups, the usual commenter would manage to work in some racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and anti-liberalism. And, right, he killed a bunch of people at a Sikh Temple because he was having "a kind of midlife crisis."

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 6, 2012 1:01:28 PM

9. He practiced his first amendment right to free speech.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | Aug 6, 2012 1:02:54 PM

10. I bet he considered himself the be a "good Christian" too. *rolling eyes*

Posted by: Freak | Aug 6, 2012 1:03:42 PM

11. No. Not "I empathize with the victims, BUT"

I empathize with the victims, PERIOD. And in this case, they happened to be the dark ones, originally from India, and their murderer was a proud white racist.

So if we're going to throw race and nationality into this mix, let's be clear as to who is at fault in this tragedy, which occurred not in India or Brazil or the Orient or Africa, but in the US, where we are accountable for the actions of our fellow-citizens and should not deflect from their racism.

Posted by: KevinVT | Aug 6, 2012 1:04:52 PM

12. Another right wing crazy that loves his guns...when does this end and society demands change.

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Aug 6, 2012 1:07:06 PM

13. I said NOTHING troll-like. I just posted something some don't like and disagree with. I think my previous post is nuanced.

And yes Ernie, in fact men and boys in our [U.S. and other western societies] treated unequally in many areas vs women and girls. It's not 'misogynistic' to point this out. Our society does treat males more harshly when they f*ck up in life vs females, and social services is designed specifically around females. And yes Ernie, this cause MANY social problems.

This Page character also sounds like he was set off by a domestic break up and IMO [judging by his age] a probable midlife crisis, which helped propel him to 'act out' violently. I think James Holmes in CO likewise lacked a support network, was socially isolated and frustrated and also violently 'act out' as a result, or at least it was one of the primary reasons.

Our society is going to continue to see violence committed by mostly males under similar circumstances and it needs to re-tool to deal with it. There is nothing troll-like in my saying this.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 1:09:22 PM

14. @KevinVT,

Kevin, does VT refer to Vermont? Just curious.

Vermont is an extremely 'white' state, the opposite of diverse and multicultural.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 1:10:35 PM

15. @VDUFFORD,

When is society going to stop the SLAUGHTER in out urban areas that makes this incident pale by comparison? Why do we consider it acceptable that a city like Chicago has an OBSCENE violent crime and murder rate? Ditto Atlanta, D.C., Philly, Miami, St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, Oakland, Baltimore, etc. Why so little reaction to the DAILY slaughter in mostly overwhelmingly minority urban neighborhoods which has so far this year resulted in THOUSANDS of murders?

I think ALL murders and violent crime are bad and need attention. Some cherry pick and play up things like this shooting in WISC. that's actually rare. Mass shootings like CO and WISC are statistically rare and stand out because of this. I bet the town this shooting occurred in has a low murder and 'gun crime' rate, as did Aurora,CO.

And too bad no one had a concealed gun. Fewer people or possibly none at all, could have been injured or killed. People have to understand the police can't be everywhere and they really don't stop crime from occurring, they clean up the results and attempt to catch the perps. What's so hard to understand about this?

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 1:18:23 PM

16. The Second Ammendment Must Be Repealed

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 6, 2012 1:20:20 PM

17. @Ratbastard,

Actually every time a black person is involved in a violent crime, this site erupts in a torrent of racist commentary led by you and Rick, so I'm not sure why you think it's ignored. Then when horrible mass shootings by your favored race are reported, they get comparatively little comment. Plus the comments you post on this story obscenely focus again on black violence, which is absolutely irrelevant to this story, and try to downplay this (he was having a bad day, it's the fault of women, other countries are worse than us, whites rarely do this sort of thing, etc.) This is not only irrelevant but just plain wrong.

I stated in an earlier post that I didn't think you were a troll, but I have to say I think your obsession with race is pathological and you need help.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 6, 2012 1:29:20 PM

18. Thank you, Brian.

"...but I have to say I think your obsession with race is pathological and you need help."

Amen, Brian. True for Wade Michael Page also, but it's too late.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 6, 2012 1:48:48 PM

19. Ditto what Brian said.

Posted by: RJ | Aug 6, 2012 2:02:15 PM

20. Ratbastard, you are so transparent it's unreal. So basically when a black man is violent it's because he's black, when a white man is violent it's because he's frustrated by women and blacks? Stay classy won't you..

Posted by: Rovex | Aug 6, 2012 2:30:41 PM

21. Kind of looks like a young and fit Rush Limbaugh.

Posted by: dancobb | Aug 6, 2012 2:33:45 PM

22. Ratbastard, I'm sorry for the loss of your boyfriend but at least you have a Nazi swastika neckerchief to remember him by.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 6, 2012 3:31:56 PM

23. Wow, white antigay Christian supremacist who was a in the Army Psychological Warfare program killing minorities, who knew?

Posted by: Mike | Aug 6, 2012 3:57:06 PM

24. The upper Midwest has long been a hotbed of white supremacy groups. However, you generally can't make a connection between group activity and domestic terrorism, since incidents like this are so rare. Also, these groups are all monitored by the FBI, which proves once again that monitoring does not prevent crime. Claims that monitoring would have prevented the Co. theater massacre are equally suspect.

Posted by: anon | Aug 6, 2012 4:02:23 PM

25. @Brian,

NO BRIAN. I've NEVER posted anything racist. I've said that there's a HUGE violent crime problem in urban areas committed primarily by 'minority' males, especially black males. Brian, this is 100% factual. It's not 'racist'. You seem to be confused about the definition of racism. I never said all black males, and I never said it was based on their 'race'. I simply point out that there's a effing HUGE problem with violent crime including 'gun crime' and murder, in American urban areas [mostly inner city 'minority' neighborhoods, but of course it spills out], and I've also posted official police, DOJ and FBI stats regarding crime in the U.S. Is it 'racist' to do so? Are the police, DOJ and FBI 'racist'? No Brian, they aren't, and neither am I.

When a 'white' person does something bad, evil, I have no problem condemning it. I've never felt compelled to riot or burn down my neighborhood because a white thug got bagged cops, and you aren't going to see white people coming to this guys defense, except for a tiny number of real crazies. Wish I could say the same for other demographics.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 4:19:06 PM