Sikh Temple Killer ID’ed as Wade Michael Page, White Supremacist

The shooter who left six people dead at a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin over the weekend has been identified as Wade Michael Page, a white supremacist who was given a "less-than-honorable discharge" from the military in 1998, USA Today reports:

PageThe Southern Poverty Law Center, a group that has studied hate crimes for decades, says on its website that Page was a frustrated neo-Nazi who had been the leader of a racist white-power band known as End Apathy.

Heidi Beirich, director of the center's intelligence project, tells the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that her group had been tracking Page since 2000, when he tried to purchase goods from the National Alliance, a well-known hate group.

Beirich says there was "no question" Page was an ardent follower and believer in the white supremacist movement. She said her center had evidence that he attended "hate events" around the country.

"He was involved in the scene," she said.

Page was killed in a shootout with police.

Comments

1. THE QUEEN says

HE WAS NOT ALONE. WITNESSES REPORT THERE WERE FOUR, I REPEAT FOUR INDIVIDUALS DRESSED IN BLACK WHO DID THIS CRIME. SO WHY IS THE MEDIA REPORTING JUST ONE. INTERESTING. GOOGLE AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. NAMASTE AND GOD BLESS YOU.

2. Aram Vartian says

I have no idea why people thinking typing in all CAPS is a convincing tactic. IT IS A LITTLE HOT OUTSIDE, SO YOU MIGHT CONSIDER DRINKING MORE WATER. See? Even that tame advice looks completely insane. Lay down a for a bit, The Queen.

3. ratbastard says

I’d suggest this guy was having a kind of midlife crisis and his violent act was precipitated by a domestic break up. Unfortunately, it’s not unusual for men and boys to violently ‘act out’ when they’re frustrated beyond their capacity to cope. As a society we need to do a lot more to help men and boys cope with adversities, especially when many lack enough of a social and familiar support network, unlike in general,females. Social services are of course overwhelmingly centered around females, while society expects guys to ‘deal with it’ and fend for themselves. James Holmes would be an even better example of this phenomena. This problem crosses ALL socio-economic, racial and ethnic lines [with the caveat that the well off can afford the best of unlimited top notch psychiatric care]. IMO the issue of so many inner city minority young males being involved extreme violence can also be traced to lack of a support network in their lives and a society that generally cares more about girls and women and their needs than it does boys and men.

I suppose it’s a blessing police killed Page, I’m not entirely sure, but I doubt if he had anything useful to contribute to why he did what he did.

4. ratbastard says

I empathize with the victims. But some of you should be reminded if you aren’t aware that many places around the world are quite violent and India is one of the worse for violent ethnic and religious strife. The U.S. is tame by comparison to [for example] India or Brazil, to name just two places. I think some become a little to smug and complacent with our generally very open and liberal society, compared to most of the especially non-western world.

5. says

How predictable: in a post about a white supremacist with ties to hate groups, the usual commenter would manage to work in some racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and anti-liberalism. And, right, he killed a bunch of people at a Sikh Temple because he was having “a kind of midlife crisis.”

6. says

No. Not “I empathize with the victims, BUT”

I empathize with the victims, PERIOD. And in this case, they happened to be the dark ones, originally from India, and their murderer was a proud white racist.

So if we’re going to throw race and nationality into this mix, let’s be clear as to who is at fault in this tragedy, which occurred not in India or Brazil or the Orient or Africa, but in the US, where we are accountable for the actions of our fellow-citizens and should not deflect from their racism.

7. ratbastard says

I said NOTHING troll-like. I just posted something some don’t like and disagree with. I think my previous post is nuanced.

And yes Ernie, in fact men and boys in our [U.S. and other western societies] treated unequally in many areas vs women and girls. It’s not ‘misogynistic’ to point this out. Our society does treat males more harshly when they f*ck up in life vs females, and social services is designed specifically around females. And yes Ernie, this cause MANY social problems.

This Page character also sounds like he was set off by a domestic break up and IMO [judging by his age] a probable midlife crisis, which helped propel him to ‘act out’ violently. I think James Holmes in CO likewise lacked a support network, was socially isolated and frustrated and also violently ‘act out’ as a result, or at least it was one of the primary reasons.

Our society is going to continue to see violence committed by mostly males under similar circumstances and it needs to re-tool to deal with it. There is nothing troll-like in my saying this.

8. ratbastard says

@KevinVT,

Kevin, does VT refer to Vermont? Just curious.

Vermont is an extremely ‘white’ state, the opposite of diverse and multicultural.

9. ratbastard says

@VDUFFORD,

When is society going to stop the SLAUGHTER in out urban areas that makes this incident pale by comparison? Why do we consider it acceptable that a city like Chicago has an OBSCENE violent crime and murder rate? Ditto Atlanta, D.C., Philly, Miami, St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, Oakland, Baltimore, etc. Why so little reaction to the DAILY slaughter in mostly overwhelmingly minority urban neighborhoods which has so far this year resulted in THOUSANDS of murders?

I think ALL murders and violent crime are bad and need attention. Some cherry pick and play up things like this shooting in WISC. that’s actually rare. Mass shootings like CO and WISC are statistically rare and stand out because of this. I bet the town this shooting occurred in has a low murder and ‘gun crime’ rate, as did Aurora,CO.

And too bad no one had a concealed gun. Fewer people or possibly none at all, could have been injured or killed. People have to understand the police can’t be everywhere and they really don’t stop crime from occurring, they clean up the results and attempt to catch the perps. What’s so hard to understand about this?

10. Brian says

@Ratbastard,

Actually every time a black person is involved in a violent crime, this site erupts in a torrent of racist commentary led by you and Rick, so I’m not sure why you think it’s ignored. Then when horrible mass shootings by your favored race are reported, they get comparatively little comment. Plus the comments you post on this story obscenely focus again on black violence, which is absolutely irrelevant to this story, and try to downplay this (he was having a bad day, it’s the fault of women, other countries are worse than us, whites rarely do this sort of thing, etc.) This is not only irrelevant but just plain wrong.

I stated in an earlier post that I didn’t think you were a troll, but I have to say I think your obsession with race is pathological and you need help.

11. Derrick from Philly says

Thank you, Brian.

“…but I have to say I think your obsession with race is pathological and you need help.”

Amen, Brian. True for Wade Michael Page also, but it’s too late.

12. Rovex says

Ratbastard, you are so transparent it’s unreal. So basically when a black man is violent it’s because he’s black, when a white man is violent it’s because he’s frustrated by women and blacks? Stay classy won’t you..

13. anon says

The upper Midwest has long been a hotbed of white supremacy groups. However, you generally can’t make a connection between group activity and domestic terrorism, since incidents like this are so rare. Also, these groups are all monitored by the FBI, which proves once again that monitoring does not prevent crime. Claims that monitoring would have prevented the Co. theater massacre are equally suspect.

14. ratbastard says

@Brian,

NO BRIAN. I’ve NEVER posted anything racist. I’ve said that there’s a HUGE violent crime problem in urban areas committed primarily by ‘minority’ males, especially black males. Brian, this is 100% factual. It’s not ‘racist’. You seem to be confused about the definition of racism. I never said all black males, and I never said it was based on their ‘race’. I simply point out that there’s a effing HUGE problem with violent crime including ‘gun crime’ and murder, in American urban areas [mostly inner city ‘minority’ neighborhoods, but of course it spills out], and I’ve also posted official police, DOJ and FBI stats regarding crime in the U.S. Is it ‘racist’ to do so? Are the police, DOJ and FBI ‘racist’? No Brian, they aren’t, and neither am I.

When a ‘white’ person does something bad, evil, I have no problem condemning it. I’ve never felt compelled to riot or burn down my neighborhood because a white thug got bagged cops, and you aren’t going to see white people coming to this guys defense, except for a tiny number of real crazies. Wish I could say the same for other demographics.

15. Brian says

I said a few weeks ago I wasn’t going to continue participating in this endless race debate, but in a moment of weakness I posted today. I sincerely hope this will be my final post, because frankly reading the racist posts that pollute this site sicken me. Ratbastard, I agree it’s not racist to quote crime statistics showing x percent of certain crimes are perpetrated by a certain race in certain circumstances. A blog about urban crime patterns perhaps. But it is clearly racist to post this stuff every single time a black person is involved in a crime. But every time a white person is involved in a crime, you ignore it, or in this instance, make up a story that he had a bad breakup with his girlfriend and needed to blow off steam. It’s 100 percent racist to drone on about macro crime statistics involving blacks whenever a black is involved in a crime, but ignore or make apologies for white criminals. A black criminal is a bad person but doesn’t indict a whole group of people. This is also true for white people. If you can agree with me that all criminals, regardless of race, are bad, then we’ve got no problem. But if you continue to obsess about the race of black criminals and ignore the race of white criminals, then you’re a racist and I’m tired of wasting my time with you on this topic.

16. says

Yes, I live in Vermont, which is indeed very white.

But on one hand, I grew up in New Orleans, which is (or was?) over half black. So there. Furthermore I was raised as a racist in a racist family. Some of my ancestors helped craft the Jim Crow laws of Mississippi. Does that give me more cred in your book?

And I’ve studied and taught race enough to understand exactly how it works, and well enough to know that when you say you have never made a racist post, you are telling a colossal lie. You make them all the time. In fact it’s a rare post of yours that is not racist.

A white supremacist nut job killed some darker folks whose ancestors came from South Asia. It was HIS white violence that killed them. Not India. Not Africa. Not Muslims. Not blacks in Boston. A white American racist killer. Period.

17. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

@ Ratbastard,

Your first comment might not look racist if it were anyone but you. But people are taking your first comment in the context of your history of comments, in which every crime committed by a black person somehow “proves” something about black people in general, but a crime committed by a white person is a failure only on the part of the individual. You run this routine over and over and over and over… You’re a one-trick pony.

Your second comment is, yes, truly troll-like. You’re saying that the problem of domestic terrorism in the U.S. is exaggerated, and really not that bad compared to “non-Western” countries, by which you mean non-white countries. So you’re telling us that we’re worrying too much about these white supremacist organizations. May I remind you that these same white supremacist organizations are insanely anti-gay and would love nothing better than to see you dead.

18. shane says

and at the end of his second “defensive comment” RATBASTARD says…”wish I could say the same about ‘other demographics’.” And they’re you have it AGAIN!
    Dude, you’ve got serious race issues. It’s plain as day to people on this site who can tell from your writing alone. Ask your friends who actually know you, and they’ll sadly agree with us.

19. Diogenes Arktos says

Contrary to what I had expected, Pat Robertson condemned “‘Satanic’ atheists” rather than liberal Christians (and LGBT folk). rightwingwatch.org concluded, “[Robertson] recommended that people ‘talk about the love of God and hope it has some impact’ to stop violence.” Hmmm… Perhaps there is some hope for him yet.

20. jamal49 says

@RATBASTARD You’re the kind of @$$hole that I would love to run into, just so I could shove your racist teeth so far down your racist throat that you would have to sit on your dinner plate to chew your next meal.

21. Diogenes Arktos says

Oops! Robertson was being too liberal for most of the Religious Right. [A member of the AFA,] Fischer declared, “[T]he shooter was obviously a liberal because he was a Nazi … and everyone knows that the Nazis were liberals just as liberals and Democrats have always been ‘the party of racism’ and responsible for slavery and the Ku Klux Klan.” It appears that we LGBT-folk do get blamed (indirectly) because of the support we get from Democrats and Liberals.