News | Ryan Murphy | Surrogacy | Television | The New Normal

BigGayDeal.com

Watch the First Full Episode of NBC's 'The New Normal': VIDEO

Newnormal

Watch the first episode of The New Normal, the new NBC Ryan Murphy comedy about two gay dads, their surrogate, and their kid which has been banned by Mormon-owned Salt Lake City affiliate KSL-TV, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL’s parent company, Bonneville International: "From time to time we may struggle with content that crosses the line in one area or another. The dialogue might be excessively rude and crude. The scenes may be too explicit or the characterizations might seem offensive ... For our brand, this program feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time."

Watch the full pilot episode, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I liked it. It has a lot of promise. Unfortunately this is a Ryan Murphy series which means it'll be good for half to all of one season and then he'll lose interest and it'll become a convoluted mess from season 2 on.

Posted by: Damian | Aug 29, 2012 6:51:18 PM

2. Potential for sure. Pilots are always awkward. They have to fit all the "ideas" for the season into 1 episode. I think maybe that's why they always seem a little forced and rushed. I have no doubt it will flush out as the season progresses. Now let's see if Ryan Murphy can keep the story arcs consistent with a solid through line as he often fails to do with Glee.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 29, 2012 7:11:00 PM

3. Hard to imagine they'll be able to keep up the pace.

Posted by: BobN | Aug 29, 2012 7:21:03 PM

4. cant watch it outside of the USA....is it a sitcom or a dramedy?

Posted by: Jamie | Aug 29, 2012 9:24:27 PM

5. LOVED every bit of it. Truly engaging!

Posted by: Mark | Aug 29, 2012 9:56:15 PM

6. ANY show that displays gay loving couples in a positive light gets my support. Good for NBC. Really appreciate this.

Posted by: J.J | Aug 29, 2012 9:56:44 PM

7. After Will & Grace was canceled, I really yearned for a fun but positive gay friendly show on prime time t.v. I truly think I found it with this. Stereotypes exist and they aren't bad. Many gay men I know are feminine and I love them and hope they never ever change. They are identifiably gay and PROUD of it. And I'm proud we have shows that showcase gay parenting can and does happen.

Posted by: Art Smith | Aug 29, 2012 9:58:03 PM

8. I thought it was a stimulating show, acting was on point, Nene needs to go though, but the message and overall tone was promising. Gays need more visibility and I too support any outlet that SHOWS gay couples exist.

Posted by: Trjuillo | Aug 29, 2012 9:58:59 PM

9. It was fun, light hearted, has room to grow..but for a pilot. I'm pretty impressed. Some of my favorite shows had THE WORST pilots (I have them on DVD) so I'm impressed with where this can go. The tweets and facebook messgaes I got from friends who saw it were pretty dang positive, most saying they laughed and enjoyed it.

Posted by: Steve Johanes | Aug 29, 2012 10:02:16 PM

10. Like most Hollywood fare, agenda driven trash.

Posted by: Pete | Aug 29, 2012 11:04:19 PM

11. Over wrought, overdone, over played. Glad it's over. Will and Grace was better.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 29, 2012 11:33:12 PM

12. Okay I have a new show, now that I've seen the pilot. Ended up enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

Is anyone else crushing on David? I can say that didn't like Bryan in any of the previews, but have warmed up to him now.

Posted by: anony6 | Aug 30, 2012 1:17:39 AM

13. Loved it. Love any show that shows to display gay relationships, and yes... gays being fem, being gay, being in love, being in fights, wanting to parent. Add some humor and subtance to that and I'll support it. I'll support this.

Posted by: Tex-Mex | Aug 30, 2012 2:00:14 AM

14. For me, anything that shows as us couples..just being, and integrated in sitcom/television is worth my support. Of course some people will criticize this, they'll criticize ALL dipictions of gays, all gay shows, all gay movies. they'd rather us not be on television until we wait for the PERFECT cast, and PERFECT, writers, and PERFECT show. Sorry, no such thing as 'perfect;
    This will do just fine.

Posted by: Gion | Aug 30, 2012 2:01:53 AM

15. We need more shows like this showing gay couples, and gay relationships and LGBT. Of course I support this. I support all visibility we have, and our relationships have. Has far less to do with content but SUPPORTING GAYS BEING ON T.V. In this CIVIL RIGHTS ERA for our community, I'll support ANY product that supports me.

Posted by: Leo | Aug 30, 2012 2:03:06 AM

16. @ Leo

Well said. I fully anticipate being a supporter and encouraging of this show, because beyond it's content, what it represents does so much for putting gays and normalcy together. The more people see of, and hear of gay couples...the more normal it DOES become. I've witnessed that within my own family. So for that, I absolutely applaud this shows effort.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Aug 30, 2012 2:04:30 AM

17. Oh, UFFDA, if it's not this you're complaining about, it's something else. Face it, you resent anything thats IDENTIFIABLY gay. Not just ambigious and "maybe could be gay" In your face gay offends you. And in your face gay, gay love, gay couples is exactly what our community needs to do and will continue to do. We're coming out of that closet baby, whether you like it or not.

Posted by: Cornele | Aug 30, 2012 2:06:12 AM

18. I actually was entertained by it. A few punchlines got a genuine laugh out of me, and I agree, I give it some bonus points for being a pilot..where kinks are still being figured out and ironed out.
    I also echo the importance of this show being on air, and similar gay oriented shows, in a fragile time where people want us to be hidden away from society.

Posted by: crown Jewels | Aug 30, 2012 2:07:31 AM

19. Knowing many conservatives who HATE this show being on air because it "makes being gay normal" as many of them have commented online, I fully intend to shower this show with support. It already has one of the most fans and followers of any NBC sitcom on the virtual world.

Plus, I thought it was totally cute.

Posted by: Steven | Aug 30, 2012 2:08:57 AM

20. It was charming, need to see more, but for now, I'm entertained. My best friend thought it was genius and she's hooked. I'm definitely into it and open to seeing more.

Posted by: lazerlightbeams | Aug 30, 2012 2:10:43 AM

21. CORNELLY - I loved Will and Grace. Get a new theory.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 30, 2012 3:44:49 AM

22. Didn't particularly like it...I predict it will struggle but not quite flop. Enjoyed seeing Michael Hitchcock though, who was so good as Hamilton Swan in Best in Show, in a role he can relish. The reason the gay couple in Modern Family go over well in middle America is that they are rather more anodyne and, well, middle American than these two. Remember, most people won't even know what "Barneys" is in one of the first jokes of their first scene together.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 30, 2012 5:06:49 AM

23. Hmmm....love Justin, but was not enthralled by the pilot episode. Will give it a chance, though.
    But do we Really need another 'Archie-ta Bunker' on TV?!

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Aug 30, 2012 5:11:33 AM

24. @EchtKultig
    Suggesting this perfectly happy couple provokes offense and they need to be more mainstream (i.,e straight) would be no different than telling a black actress in the late 60s to bleach her skin, because her blackness is too much for some white people to digest right now. Gays like this couple exist. Millions, all throughout the world. That we should not be represented because homophobes and folks like yourself find them offensive is a pretty weak argument. You gotta do better than that for not wanting GAY people on television.Your version of gay is probably a couple who introduces each other as roomates and shows no public affection. Those gay couples are the minority, not the majority of our community. The majority are pretty noticable in being both gay and a couple. Again, if that offends- that's not the responsibility of gay people.

Posted by: Cali Greg | Aug 30, 2012 6:15:34 AM

25. EchtKultig-
    I suppose the couple could be more hetero washed? maybe more 'street' and call themselves 'domesticated civil union partners' as opposed to lovers? Maybe instead of even introducing them as a couple, we could say they were experimenting? Throw in a few Bible verses. I mean, we gotta keep the conservatives pleased with us gays. Better not ever dare step out of line, and like, um, you know...uhh...be gay.

Posted by: King Leon | Aug 30, 2012 6:18:30 AM