News | Ryan Murphy | Surrogacy | Television | The New Normal

BigGayDeal.com

Watch the First Full Episode of NBC's 'The New Normal': VIDEO

Newnormal

Watch the first episode of The New Normal, the new NBC Ryan Murphy comedy about two gay dads, their surrogate, and their kid which has been banned by Mormon-owned Salt Lake City affiliate KSL-TV, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL’s parent company, Bonneville International: "From time to time we may struggle with content that crosses the line in one area or another. The dialogue might be excessively rude and crude. The scenes may be too explicit or the characterizations might seem offensive ... For our brand, this program feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time."

Watch the full pilot episode, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Man, when it comes to gay related shows, programs, movies or music, some people get so knit picky, you almost wonder if they want to see said things fail because they are gay. Lower your standards, just as I'm sure you all do with some not so great hetero driven programming you watch (whether you admit it or not)
    This show was just light hearted fun. Was it the best show I've ever seen? no. But it was definitely good enough, and garnered my attention, and did well.

Posted by: Junior | Aug 30, 2012 6:21:23 AM

2. EchtKultig-
    That's exactly what they said over and over about Will & Grace. And should we go over how successful and how much money that show made for NBC? Gay characters you find 'out there' is something America has accepted in their mass media and shows for ages. Heck, this gay couple (and something similar) have been showcased in television and film far more so than a bisexual male or butch female, two concepts that America has some serious 'discomfort' factor with, hence you don't see them represented. This gay couple, judging based on the reaction of my very conservative and hetero family, is hardly offensive. Most people who tune into this show, or Will & Grace or Glee know what they are going to get. Their success won't come in pretending to be something they are not -a watered down, evangelical version of gay- it's embracing the spirit of what it is that attracts the fan base they have. And anyone in television would tell you this.

Posted by: Hollywood Slave | Aug 30, 2012 6:26:40 AM

3. First I have to say that I did enjoy the episode, and I will watch it when it launches.

That said, I didn't really like how the show starts its premise.

Yeah, I understand stereotypes.. but, I'm not real happy with how "Ryan" gets his motivation for parenthood... mincing fem shopper queen flamboyantly states, "Oh that's just the cutest thing... I MUST have one..." queue small child in a stroller...

Really?

Like I said, the episode was good, and I did enjoy it. But I hope they improve some, because to me, that's not the "ideal start" for a show that we, as a community (I hope) want the Conservatives to believe our motivations for fatherhood are...

Of course, a child as an accessory is at least an improvement to some of their beliefs that we're just trying to grow kids to molest...

Posted by: theotherlee | Aug 30, 2012 7:18:42 AM

4. Some good one-liners and I adore Ellen Barkin.

Posted by: Curt | Aug 30, 2012 7:37:00 AM

5. I thought it was camp, fun, enjoyable..actually that describe most gay parents who are friends of my partner and I. They are camp, fun, somewhat flashy, yet LOVE their children and their families and make us smile. Much like this show did. Looking forward to seeing more

Posted by: Geo | Aug 30, 2012 7:56:43 AM

6. @theotherlee

Here's a little piece of advice for you: if your entire daily and hourly existence consists of "What do religious Conservaive Republicans think of me? Am I acting appropriate now?" You're both living a very miserable existence, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Whther you're out shopping, drinking a mocha with a limp wrist, or growing out facial hair while grabbing your crotch and spitting all while singing Gospel about Jesus, that camp will think of you as a f*g so long as it's known to them that you like penis. Plan and simple. So instead of living your life, down to your viewing of a sitcom, all revolved around "God, I wonder what the conservatives think now? God, I sure hope they are pleased"....take a breath, look around you, realize you're life is meant to be lived for you, and that no gay person has a DUTY to live for pleasing Conservatives, and .....relax. Truly.

Posted by: Yeb 1982 | Aug 30, 2012 8:02:32 AM

7. Yeb 1982,
    Beautifully said. A point that doesn't get told enough. This constant correction of how we should all behave, under the premise of pleasing Conservatives is both getting tired and starting to actually seem more homophobic than the homophobia. The idea of us almost begging for acceptance, while asking for approval on our every move is about as ignorant and UN-equal as inequality gets. Of course, for the apologist, this will go over their heads. Back to protesting pride, parades, and protests they go. And don't forget to de-gay yourself as much as you can. We wouldn't want them hetero conservatives to be slighted now, ya hear?

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Aug 30, 2012 8:05:51 AM

8. Great pilot.I knew i would love this show.Looking forward to future episodes.

Posted by: Miguel | Aug 30, 2012 11:12:49 AM

9. Once again, a sitcom with completely artificial dialogue that isn't at all how people really talk. Didn't believe Ellen Barkin's character for a second. Sledgehammer approach to the social commentary. Maybe it will improve as time goes on, but this isn't promising.

Posted by: Jim | Aug 30, 2012 2:27:42 PM

10. Thanks for being civil in responding - not sure why I am as nobody will read a thread this old. It's for-profit television folks. I'm not being self-hating by addressing what is likely to go over well out there in middle America. (And believe me, that's where it has earn its dough on broadcast TV. This ain't HBO where people on the coasts w/6 figure incomes tuning in is enough to get advertisers to pay for the series.)
    I loved Will and Grace but the entire conceit of that show was wholly different, and in fact just about everything about it was concocted to make a simulacrum of urban gay life seem palatable to a network TV audience. Good for the writers...it was palatable and helped advance gay rights. That obviously isn't the case with this program: I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think I will be. Without writing pages and pages because I could, I'll just say Jack had a lovable, sweet oafishness, while the "femme" gay in The New Normal just seems like a shallow stereotype of an "evil queen" with his mean-spirited jokes, haughty bragging about fashion, etc. Also, as GCB proved, the market does not respond to over-the-top portrayals of tea party-ish goons, like the ultra mean-spirited homophobic mother of the surrogate.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 30, 2012 8:08:23 PM

11. " mincing fem shopper queen flamboyantly states, "Oh that's just the cutest thing... I MUST have one..." queue small child in a stroller...

Really?

Posted by: theotherlee"

Yeah I forget to mention in my original review that this came the closest to being outright offensive to me. Wrong on so many levels...most glaringly, that for almost all LGBTs having a child is NOT a spur of the moment whim as it is for so many straights. It almost seemed like something out of a FOTF right-wing propaganda hit piece.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 30, 2012 8:14:18 PM

12. One more thing...obviously I was only addressing whether the show had a realistic chance of being successful. That has nothing to do with "hetero washing" or how any given gay person chooses to live their life. HOWEVER, as the Chick-Fil-A disaster proved, we never worry about what conservatives are "thinking"* at our peril. We LOST that one in the court of public opinion.

*"instincting" would be a better term

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 30, 2012 8:23:47 PM

13. It might be good politics, but it's bad TV: artificial, cloying, predictable. Bleh.

Posted by: chuck | Sep 3, 2012 12:13:44 PM

14. I was pleasantly surprised with how good The New Normal was. Both Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha are great together on the show. One of my DISH coworkers I and I were talking about the shows we like the most, and she mentioned this one. After watching it on my Hopper using the PrimeTime Anytime feature, which records all four major networks during prime time, I saw why she liked it so much. I have not missed a single episode because of the feature either! I hope that the show continues on strong because it has a good message and some good, warm laughs.

Posted by: Riley | Oct 31, 2012 9:16:53 AM