2012 Olympics | AIDS/HIV | Diving | News | Olympics | Tom Daley | Twitter

BigGayDeal.com

Welsh Footballer Suspended for Homophobic Tweet to British Diver Tom Daley

Daley

Welsh football player Daniel Thomas has been suspended for a tweet sent to British diver Tom Daley after his fourth place finish on Monday which read, "if there is any consolation for finishing fourth atleast daley and waterfield can go and bum eachother #teamHIV".

DanielthomasThe BBC reports:

Daniel Thomas, 28, will be the subject of an internal investigation into a tweet sent to Daley, Welsh Premier League Port Talbot Town FC says...Port Talbot FC officials confirmed midfielder Thomas had been suspended while they investigated the incident. A club spokesman said: "Port Talbot Town Football Club can confirm Daniel Thomas has been suspended from all involvement with the club until we have carried out a full internal investigation.

Said a spokesman for the club: "We were made aware to an offensive comment appearing on the Twitter feed of one of our players. Upon being informed of the matter, we immediately distanced ourselves from any offensive messages whilst investigating the matter further. Having spoken at length to the player in question, we believe he regrettably left his phone unattended and was the victim of a very misguided 'prank'. All footballers at Port Talbot Town will also be briefed on the appropriate use of social media and ensuring it is used securely and responsibly."

The footballer's Twitter account has also been suspended.

The incident followed another incident in which a British teen was arrested after tweeting Daley:

"You let your dad down, I hope you know that," he had written. Daley's father lost his battle with cancer in 2011.

Shortly before the final had begun, Daley had expressed his gratitude for the support he had received since that time.
"After the toughest year of my life, today is the day!" Daley wrote. "I just want to thank everyone for all their support no matter what the outcome."

The British teen was arrested "on suspicion of malicious communications" according to the BBC.

A spokesman was unable to confirm whether the arrest was specifically over the tweets to Daley or subsequent Twitter conversations with other users.

(tweet screencap via gay star news)

Comments

1. @Sam: You are maliciously calling him a liar with no logical reason.
    First, you can't know whether someone is gay, straight or bi by using superficial criteria like how he gestures. That's ridiculous.
    Second, I've seen absolutely no comment from himclaiming to be heterosexual and the fact I can't find any leads me to think you probably haven't, either.
    Third, I also haven't seen him claiming to have a partner. All I can find on the internet are numerous rumors about his friend Kasidy such as: "The two have birthdays around the same time and always buy each other a birthday present. Enquiring minds wonder whether hey're in love!"

If he decides to tell the press at some point that he is dating someone (male or female) or that he is NOT dating who they think he is dating, or that he is gay or straight or bi, then I will listen to the interview with an open mind.
    You seem like you'd rather judge him harshly based on nothing but rumors and biased gut feelings you have about him.

Posted by: Gregv | Aug 1, 2012 12:45:28 PM

2. It's official: Daniel Thomas is a pathetic closet case.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 1, 2012 12:48:05 PM

3. JAMAL, TOM A acknowledged that he didn't see the hashtag, which is what made the whole thing homophobic.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 1, 2012 1:08:03 PM

4. Is Sam Littlekiwi in disguise? He gay because he acts it (which he doesnt)? I know quite a few effeminate men that are not gay, and a lot of masculine men that are gay. None are faking, its just the way it is. The 2 are not connected. Those that claim it is are just in denial about their internal hatred for the way they act themselves.

Posted by: Rovex | Aug 1, 2012 1:35:17 PM

5. Tom Daley is a freakin' kid born in 1994! I can't believe all of the absolute bullying and hate coming from these people.

Posted by: reality | Aug 1, 2012 1:39:19 PM

6. @ Sam: You know, far older than the historical hatred of homosexuals, the hatred for effeminate men continues to go uncommented today. Tom Daley, Marcus Bachman, and millions of others may be notably effeminate. That does not make them gay. And why should their being "obviously" effeminate in speech, manner, dress, or other behavior make them targets of irrational hatred from any other group? Why does so much of the gay community still hanker after "masculine" men and deride those who are more "nelly"? You have your own issues to deal with... OBVIOUSLY.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Aug 1, 2012 2:01:23 PM

7. @rovex
    Oh for heaven's sake. I suppose you could find exceptions for everything if you try hard enough. Don't be so naive and clueless like gregv. Daley is gay for sure, just wait for it. I'm bet you and Greg said Aiken and Bass were straight too just because they claimed to be before they came out.
    As far as your psych 101 assessment of my internal hatred, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm an out and proud gay man who doesn't have a problem with the way ANY gay man acts as long as they are true to themselves. You might want to take a look at your own internal turmoil.

@reality
    You must be really old, Daley may be young but he is a grown, legal adult and not a "kid".

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 2:03:18 PM

8. I believe it was his tweet threatening to find Daley and drown him in the pool that prompted the arrest. You can be prosecuted for mailicious and threatening tweets under UK law. People seem to think that the anonimity of the Internet protects them from being sued for libel or prosecuted for threats but it does not. People are still responsible for their actions.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Aug 1, 2012 2:10:07 PM

9. Why is it that some of us automatically assume that a good looking guy with a hot body has to be gay? We never seem to make the same assumption about guys that are perhaps less attractive or less athletically gifted although any visit to you local gay village or gay bar would show that not all of us are cover boy material.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Aug 1, 2012 2:14:38 PM

10. Chuck Mielke,

Christ! For the LAST TIME I do not have a problem with effemate gay guys or more masculine acting gay guys. I do have a problem with people who live a lie! Got it! And please, are you really suggesting that YOU think Marcus Bachmann is really just an effemate straight man! lol That says all I need to know about you.

@swiminbuff
    Some of you really have a problem with reading comprehension. Daley is NOT perceived to be gay because he's a good looking guy with a hot body. I suggest you watch any interview with Daley and then get back with me.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 2:23:10 PM

11. Britain is a very homophobic place. It pretends to be non-homophobic but in fact it is very hostile to gay people. Most gay men are forced into small enclaves.

Posted by: jason | Aug 1, 2012 2:30:18 PM

12. Swiminbuff wrote:
    "I believe it was his tweet threatening to find Daley and drown him in the pool that prompted the arrest."

Again with the reading comprehension. These tweets were from two different individuals. The drowning tweet was not from the Welsh player.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 2:36:14 PM

13. as little kiwi would say @sam:

where's the link. show us the link. my link is fiercer than your link.

but alas, as i recall, Lil'wi is summering on FI this week, 'off the grindr-grid' while paying homage the brothers and sisters who were there before him.

Posted by: my2cents | Aug 1, 2012 2:37:43 PM

14. Oh Sam, sweetie, I was never going to attack you on effeminity vs. masculinity in men (gay, straight, or in-between).

My only point, which was missed - sorry maybe I didn't make it clearly enough; THE GUY IS NOT OUT. Insisting that he is gay serves no purpose. There are far too many real enemies to invest energy in creating straw-ones out of folk who might or might not be gay or, for that matter, of those of us in the family who see things differently.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 1, 2012 2:54:09 PM

15. I've seen one 3 minute interview with Tom Daley, mostly upper body,head shot. He doesn't have a deep voice, fairly high pitched, and was animated but not overly so. I'm sure the kid has been coached how to be interviewed and public speaking in order not to appear wooden. I didn't get the particular impression he's gay or 'acting gay' [meaning I suppose effete / campy].

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 1, 2012 2:55:12 PM

16. Oh Rob, sweetie pie, did I hit a nerve? Next time I'll be more delicate in pointing it out when you miss the point of topic.

And to your point that the guy is not out...I hear you and agree with you but there is one main side issue to that. If a person doesn't have the courage to come out and be honest with who they are that's bad enough but to take it a step further by talking about their "girlfriend", as I watched Daley do in a recent interview saying he was excited that his girlfriend would be watching him, is just sad. If a person is ashamed enough to stay in the closet, don't make the lie worst by talking about your "girlfriend" or how hot the ladies are.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 3:21:40 PM

17. Thank you Sam, I feel ever so much better knowing that you, who apparently could never miss a point, will be kind enough to be delicate in pointing it out when I do so next time, as I'm sure I will.

I should just let it go, but one last point. When I was his age, I had a girlfriend too. I knew what I was but I was trying my darndest not to be myself. Yes the social stigma is lowered today, but self-acceptence is still an arduous and difficult journey that we all have to make at our own pace. He's an adolescent, let him make his own journey.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 1, 2012 3:47:47 PM

18. The only people who ought to be outed are hypocrites, short of that the closeted should be left alone. Being in the closet may not be the choice I would make or you would make but seriously Sam, who died and made you the moral arbiter of gaydom? That kind of intolerance is best left to our enemies. There are more than enough of them to oblige without us doing to each other.

Posted by: antb | Aug 1, 2012 5:04:20 PM

19. Gee like that's like we are not all thinking the same thing when we see Dailey and his diving partner...

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 1, 2012 5:46:13 PM

20. These sports people earn way too much money, way too young so they get arrogant. On an almost daily basis we hear about one of them ranting their extremism on social networking sites. They have arrogant because they have never had to work a real day in their lives. They are very far removed from reality and dumb enough to believe their own hype.

I am always glad to see them get a big fine or dropped from the team but the penalties need to be higher because they are not acting as a deterrent to other idiots.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 1, 2012 6:06:28 PM

21. Er guys - I know you are American and not very worldly wise but it was not only the hashtag that made this comment homophobic.

In the UK, to "bum" someone means to have anal sex.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 1, 2012 6:08:07 PM

22. "...as I watched Daley do in a recent interview saying he was excited that his girlfriend would be watching him..."

@Sam: All I find is an interview in which he is asked about girls and he says he is focued on his diving and does not want a serious girlfriend. Then he is asked if he wants a "non-serious" one and he says "Erm... no."
    Any news reports I find from as recent as the past 24 hours refer only to his "rumored girlfriend" and mention only that OTHER people (not Tom nor Kassidy) are referring to her that way (because they both have dazzling smiles and would look so cute together, etc.)

You've stated not only that he has said that he is straight (and I can't come up with any internet search terms that turn up that statement from him) but also that he says his girlfriend will be watching him.
    I'm not saying that what you said is NOT true, but you've provided no links, and your statements contradict everything that I do find.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 1, 2012 6:47:30 PM

23. "I know quite a few effeminate men that are not gay"

I don't. I guess it depends on how broadly you define effeminate, but while some straight men have high-pitched voices, I cannot recall having met even one that would, for example, use the term "Honey"--except to address their wife, perhaps--or that "sings his words" or uses excessive hand gestures.

While having a masculine demeanor does not necessarily equate to being straight, having an effeminate demeanor almost always equates to being gay......which I believe is due to the fact that gay men who are effeminate are deliberately mimicking the behavior of women, whether they are fully conscious of it at all times or not.

Regardless, any man, regardless of sexual orientation, who could resist plowing the tight butt of young Mr. Daley if the opportunity presented itself should have his head examined.....LOL

Posted by: Rick | Aug 1, 2012 7:13:33 PM

24. Oh for goodness sake. Rubbish like this makes me wanna close my Facebook account and never post anything for fear of one day making a joke/comment that is regarded as offensive to someone, for whatever reason. You'd be surprised at how easy it can be to accidentally offend someone of a different culture - so where does it stop...should we all become friggen androids and never say anything below the belt? Yes these idiots (can I say that?) were vulgur and meant to hurt others...that said, welcome to the online age. The gay slurs and rude comments are nothing more than the usual trolling that happens every single day on countless sites. Racism is another big thing...why not go track down every idiot that posts racists remarks? Oh no...that only happens when the rich and famous are involved. Go read all the "hate-speach" replies to that Riley kid on twitter...I'm guessing a lot of people should be up for malicious communication charges? Love the way people respond saying "you are so evil for saying that...I hope you die a horrible death". Irony. #thisworldhasgonebonkers

Posted by: Julian | Aug 1, 2012 7:25:14 PM

25. Actually Sam it is your own reading comprehension that is the problem. The footballer was only suspended by his team. It was another tweeter I was refering to, the one who threatened to drown Tom , who was arrested. I never suggested otherwise. Pay attention.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Aug 1, 2012 7:26:17 PM