News

BigGayDeal.com

What is a Real Man? — VIDEO

Realman

The readers of Accidental Bear expound on the question "What is a real man?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

With whom do you agree? Disagree?

(via boy culture)

Comments

1. A real man isn't hard to find, guys - he's staring right back at you in your mirror.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 20, 2012 7:50:06 PM

2. Real men, like all other ideals, don't exist.

Posted by: David | Aug 20, 2012 7:50:54 PM

3. putrid spewings from RICK's diseased mind in 3...2...1

Posted by: lordy lordy | Aug 20, 2012 7:54:04 PM

4. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 20, 2012 7:54:37 PM

5. why would we be looking for the definition of a real man in a posting from a site named "boy culture"?

Posted by: ncman | Aug 20, 2012 8:02:37 PM

6. Oh, Lord. Well, I watched the entire thing. There were a few intelligent thoughts.

But you know what? Nobody, including me, would have to spend more than 2 minutes in a room with any one of these guys to conclude that they were gay.

The "narrator" or whatever you want to call him, is almost comical, with his effeminate mannerisms and voice offsetting the beard and flannel shirt....which sets the tone for the entire piece.

Why is it that you could pull 20 random straight guys from any segment of society and not one of them would display the effeminacy that is evident in just about every one of these individuals? Or the weirdness?

Wouldn't it be amazing if you could pull 20 random gay guys from somewhere and they would look, sound, and act just like the frat boy you knew in college or the guy who works in the office next to you at work or the guy you grew up with from down the block?

But you can't, can you?

Which is a reflection of how deep the damage is that has been inflected by a homophobic society.

I am glad that some of these guys are at least trying to achieve a male identity, but Lord, oh, Lord do we have a long, long way to go......

Posted by: Rick | Aug 20, 2012 8:35:44 PM

7. @ Rick.
    Cool story bro.

Posted by: David | Aug 20, 2012 8:39:43 PM

8. A REAL MAN is those models on the side bar.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Aug 20, 2012 8:39:59 PM

9. What took you so long Rick? Just what we need, an article to give you ammunition in your stereotyping. Get a life, nobody cares about what you have to spew forth.

Posted by: GABE | Aug 20, 2012 8:43:13 PM

10. @rick ~ so your assertion is that a "real man" can't have any effeminate mannerisms? How sad your life must be.

Posted by: Moby | Aug 20, 2012 8:57:58 PM

11. Cool. Now let's compare these answers to those of straight men.

Posted by: Misha | Aug 20, 2012 9:09:50 PM

12. This Rick stuff is hilariously bad.

This stuff was been going on for YEARS too. Dedication!

"I'm a real man. Rawr."

Posted by: OhRick | Aug 20, 2012 9:15:18 PM

13. @David- LOL. And I don't usually laugh at comments on Towleroad.

Posted by: Miguel R | Aug 20, 2012 9:20:30 PM

14. One thing is for sure...NONE of these "queens" would fit anyone's definition...lol

Posted by: Marty | Aug 20, 2012 9:48:30 PM

15. Rick... does your disdain for most gay men keep you from getting laid?

Posted by: Mike | Aug 20, 2012 10:00:20 PM

16. One thing is certain: a real man doesn't have the need to criticize other men because he judges the effeminate.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 20, 2012 10:07:55 PM

17. A real man doesn't think that courage resides in the testicles.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 20, 2012 10:14:47 PM

18. I think most of us get some kind of pressure at some point to be a real man. I remember growing up, and at different stages of my life, envying guys who seemed to be automatically above that. Guys who were so nonchalant about their athletic abilities, good looks and masculine charm that other guys just had to envy them all-around. A certain type of alpha male. I guess at some point i realized the best I could do was be a beta to guys like that. And that has been most of my life: both personal and professional. I'm not complaining. I think I provided valuable beta services. But do betas qualify as real men too?

Posted by: Markt | Aug 20, 2012 10:15:31 PM

19. Nice try Andrew. I like how you try to turn it around though. Being "a real man" is not dependent on whether or not you are critical of others. That trait is in men, women, gay, straight, masculine or fem...but Rick is certainly the biggest criticizer of all when it comes to people different from him. Grow up.

Posted by: GABE | Aug 20, 2012 10:17:13 PM

20. Don't know. Don't care.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 20, 2012 10:20:21 PM

21. ANDREW: are you defending Rick or criticizing him? It reads like you are defending him..if not, I apologize.

Posted by: GABE | Aug 20, 2012 10:24:06 PM

22. To the bitter comments left in these threads: I promise that you will stop hating and learn to accept yourself, some day. You can unlearn what others have taught you about who you are. It will get better.

Posted by: MonkeyPuzzle | Aug 20, 2012 10:27:58 PM

23. @Markt You should get some help.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 20, 2012 10:32:23 PM

24. Rick, perhaps if you had a couple bong hits, you could stand what you see in the mirror.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 20, 2012 11:02:33 PM

25. @Gabe: Rick is the last person on the planet that I would defend. I said"a real man doesn't have the need to criticize other men because he judges the(m) effeminate". Which Rick does constantly.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 20, 2012 11:50:48 PM