Comments

1. Rick says

Oh, Lord. Well, I watched the entire thing. There were a few intelligent thoughts.

But you know what? Nobody, including me, would have to spend more than 2 minutes in a room with any one of these guys to conclude that they were gay.

The “narrator” or whatever you want to call him, is almost comical, with his effeminate mannerisms and voice offsetting the beard and flannel shirt….which sets the tone for the entire piece.

Why is it that you could pull 20 random straight guys from any segment of society and not one of them would display the effeminacy that is evident in just about every one of these individuals? Or the weirdness?

Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could pull 20 random gay guys from somewhere and they would look, sound, and act just like the frat boy you knew in college or the guy who works in the office next to you at work or the guy you grew up with from down the block?

But you can’t, can you?

Which is a reflection of how deep the damage is that has been inflected by a homophobic society.

I am glad that some of these guys are at least trying to achieve a male identity, but Lord, oh, Lord do we have a long, long way to go……

2. GABE says

What took you so long Rick? Just what we need, an article to give you ammunition in your stereotyping. Get a life, nobody cares about what you have to spew forth.

3. Markt says

I think most of us get some kind of pressure at some point to be a real man. I remember growing up, and at different stages of my life, envying guys who seemed to be automatically above that. Guys who were so nonchalant about their athletic abilities, good looks and masculine charm that other guys just had to envy them all-around. A certain type of alpha male. I guess at some point i realized the best I could do was be a beta to guys like that. And that has been most of my life: both personal and professional. I’m not complaining. I think I provided valuable beta services. But do betas qualify as real men too?

4. GABE says

Nice try Andrew. I like how you try to turn it around though. Being “a real man” is not dependent on whether or not you are critical of others. That trait is in men, women, gay, straight, masculine or fem…but Rick is certainly the biggest criticizer of all when it comes to people different from him. Grow up.

5. MonkeyPuzzle says

To the bitter comments left in these threads: I promise that you will stop hating and learn to accept yourself, some day. You can unlearn what others have taught you about who you are. It will get better.

6. andrew says

@Gabe: Rick is the last person on the planet that I would defend. I said”a real man doesn’t have the need to criticize other men because he judges the(m) effeminate”. Which Rick does constantly.

7. GABE says

Sorry, the way it was written read like you were defending him and we shouldn’t criticize him who judges the effeminate (cause that’s what he does). Sorry.

8. BobN says

I’m pretty certain you could pull 20 random straight guys from any segment of society and not one of them would display the endless, bitchy criticism so evident in some gay men…

9. Dback says

I’ll paraphrase what the video said that I agree with (in case folks aren’t patient enough to do the whole thing): “Real” men are comfortable with, and accepting of, themselves, and are equally accepting of and comfortable with others, especially men. There’s no pretense, no showing off, no anxiety about “measuring up”–just a simple “This is who I am; please accept it, as I accept you.” Men who are truly comfortable in their own skin–and can thus make others feel supported, encouraged, comfortable, and even loved–are the best kind of “real men.”

10. andrew says

@Bobn: If you are gay don’t dispair, Most gay men are not like some/many of the bitchy queers who post on this site. If you are straight, don’t judge us all by the bitchy comments of some on this site.

11. Rick says

blah, blah, blah…..Sit her in your echo chamber and re-assure each other……even as you lust desperately after masculine straight men.

It doesn’t have to be that way, you know. YOU don’t have to be that way. Really.

And you will NEVER be respected or taken seriously in the social mainstream if you continue with both your behavior and your attitudes.

But you already know that, don’t you?