Jeff Whitty | Lin-Manuel Miranda | New York | News | Theatre

A 'Bring It On' Rave

Bringiton

Hey, folks. This is just a personal recommendation (actually, pretty much a rave) from me. Over the weekend I was able to catch Bring It On on Broadway. I brought my mom and my 12-year-old niece, and I have to say I was blown away by the whole production. For many of the cast, this is a Broadway debut, and there is so much energy and talent here.

BioIt's inspired by but not based directly on the film of the same name and is full of acrobatic cheerleading stunts and upbeat musical numbers but at its heart is a show about inclusion, diversity, and acceptance.

Jeff Whitty, a friend, wrote the libretto. You may know him as one of the Tony Award-winning comic geniuses behind Avenue Q. Also involved are Tony Winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (In the Heights) and Tom Kitt (Next to Normal). I can see each of their marks on it.

Go see it.

Watch a brief montage from the show, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I saw this show a few weeks ago and LOVED it. It's class-aware, pro-queer, pro-trans, and shows people of all sizes being sexy and getting action. FANTASTIC.

Posted by: PSue | Sep 27, 2012 1:23:44 PM

2. I saw this show in previews and it was fantastic! I (of course) loved every movie, even the one with Sista Knowles. With a "new" storyline (lets face it, your "crew" can only "throwdown" in so many different ways) I agree with PSUE that it is pro so many things, and celebrates all diversity. Plus give me a good cheer sequence and moving LCD screens and I'm good to go! ITS ALL HAPPENING!

Posted by: Steve | Sep 27, 2012 2:40:54 PM

3. We saw it in the pre-Broadway version in LA at the Ahmanson. We were impressed by the music, which was bubbly, also the inclusive message but more so the triple threat actors involved. Singers, dancers, acrobats/gymnasts/pro-cheerleaders. We applauded the cast more than anything else.

Posted by: steven | Sep 27, 2012 2:41:41 PM

4. Really? Kidding, right?

I saw it in SF with what appears to be the same cast. Third row seats. Fortunately I had not paid for them. Yawn.

What disneyesque, witless, loud-louder-loudest, derivative drivel. Hard to believe anyone financed it.

But yes, the precision 'dancing' (acrobatics, more accurately) was very well performed. Sadly, even this was of little or no interest after a few minutes.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Sep 27, 2012 3:14:29 PM

5. If anyone is interested in a little "behind the scens" of the show, I've got a little video for you. I host a webseries called Standing By where I interview Broadway understudies, standbys and swings. I got a chance to talk with two of the ensemble members from Bring It On several weeks ago. You can check it out at http://www.standingbytv.com/bringiton

Posted by: Caskey Hunsader | Sep 27, 2012 3:58:23 PM

6. I saw it in SF too and had the same experience as Steven. Yawn. It was cute. And bright. And the stage "design" was interesting. But there are only so many cheerleading moves to be done over and over. Impressive gymnastics yes, and some good arms for eye candy, but not enough to fill a show, nor enough drama nor comedy to sustain it. Very Disney matinee.

I didn't hate it at all. It was a pleasant show. But it wasn't all that. And no tune stood out as a hit, and nothing stuck in your head on the way out.

Maybe they did a lot of rework. The SF show was nowhere close to Broadway. Maybe there was tons of money.

Posted by: Willo | Sep 27, 2012 4:07:38 PM

7. I got half-price tickets to this and went with low expectations, but was really impressed. It is a simple story that may not lure Tony awards, but it is done with a lot of wit, charm, and *energy*. That the overall message was about inclusiveness & diversity was a delightful bonus. I agree, well worth seeing!

Posted by: Deanster | Sep 27, 2012 4:24:34 PM

8. Perhaps my cynicism is showing, but I instantly questioned this "rave" review when I read that line that the libretto was written by a friend. And, that commercial didn't help. The stunts looked fun but the song consisted of repeating "Let's go" and "We gotta go" over and over. Those lines seemed to be rhymed with the phrase "Whoa".

Posted by: alex | Sep 27, 2012 4:40:25 PM

9. I loved it! Such a fun show that FOR SURE does not take itself too seriously! :) Went with 3 guys that used to be college cheerleaders and they loved it too!

Posted by: C.J. | Sep 27, 2012 5:30:04 PM

10. Saw it in Los Angeles. I didn't enjoy it overall. The acrobatics were amazing and the cast tried hard, but the story was all over the place. It got boring. It was almost like the creators hoped the dance numbers would distract from the poor story. Although to be fair, it might have changed on the way to Broadway.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 27, 2012 5:40:16 PM

11. wow i LOVE that song. it has a great hook.

it also has some STRONG similarities to what is arguably the best and most popular (as well as my fave) song from "rent": "525,600 minutes."

both songs have that expansive, epic feel to them that makes your chest swell with emotion & empathy and gets you singing along.

Posted by: redball | Sep 28, 2012 1:55:48 AM