Honey Boo Boo | News | Pageants | Reality TV

A Pro-Gay Message from Honey Boo Boo: VIDEO

Honeybooboo

From the TLC smash Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, the reality show about mini pageant contestant Alana Thompson.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rich Juzwiak at Gawker has a longer clip of the segment, inspired by a visit from Honey Boo Boo's uncle, otherwise known as Uncle Poodle.

Comments

1. Kurt Vonnegut said it better than I could:

"America is the wealthiest nation on Earth, but its people are mainly poor, and poor Americans are urged to hate themselves. To quote the American humorist Kin Hubbard, “It ain’t no disgrace to be poor, but it might as well be.” It is in fact a crime for an American to be poor, even though America is a nation of poor. Every other nation has folk traditions of men who were poor but extremely wise and virtuous, and therefore more estimable than anyone with power and gold...

Americans, like human beings everywhere, believe many things that are obviously untrue. Their most destructive untruth is that it is very easy for any American to make money. They will not acknowledge how in fact hard money is to come by, and, therefore, those who have no money blame and blame and blame themselves. This inward blame has been a treasure for the rich and powerful, who have had to do less for their poor, publicly and privately, than any other ruling class since, say Napoleonic times. Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves."

Mamma June & her clan love one another. People HATE her because she is poor and "crass." We have been trained to hate the poor because they are also supposed to be uneducated, slothful, and terrible citizens.

When I look at this family and the clips from this show (and the gawker article) it is quite clear that they love one another. And yet they are ridiculed because of their "behaviors"- being fat & poor.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 27, 2012 4:01:32 PM

2. My great grandmother used to say, "Poor people have poor ways". This was a reference not only to lack of education, but also pervasive behavior or life patterns that kept them and future generations in a cycle of poverty.

I don't think anyone would dispute this family's love for each other--but that is not the issue.

One problem I see here is that many people in a number of minority groups (including gays) fetishize personal freedom, even if it is to their own detriment. Yes, I have the right to behave in certain ways, but there are consequences to that--consequences that often limit life choices and opportunities.

And being poor is nothing to be ashamed of. There are people who live in poverty who are more dignified, polite and respectful than many people with money.

For me the real problem is when members of minority groups actively participate in their own stereotyped exploitation for the morbid delight of those who consider them their inferiors. My question is always, "are they laughing with you--or AT you?"

Posted by: Mark | Sep 27, 2012 5:01:47 PM

3. Mark, the only one who could have stated that better than you is Mitt Romney.

Posted by: jvc | Sep 27, 2012 5:37:47 PM

4. I like this little kid, she's her own outgoing little person, I think she's a crack-up. As for her family you people are really over thinking their viewpoints and opinions, they aren't educated enough or socially conscience enough to know what they are saying or doing half the the time. I come from white trash like this, but my family HATE gay people, the fact that they have some tolerance gives me hope that other rural people like this just MIGHT be evolving in some way is pretty interesting to me. They shouldn't elicit such hatred from everyone, only heavy eye rolls as they bumble along their own path in life.

Posted by: John | Sep 27, 2012 6:05:56 PM

5. you better REDNECKOGNIZE!

Posted by: Chicklets | Sep 27, 2012 8:13:56 PM

6. All of the adults who are stealing this little girls childhood should hang their heads in SHAME!

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 27, 2012 9:52:40 PM

7. Well, John, it's an eyeroll for me, not hate, but probably because I'm far too familiar with the subject.

I have a piece of property that is literally surrounded by 50 or so trailer-dwelling poor white people much like the Boo Boo's, sadly even poorer and less educated.

These people create "injuries" to get on disability. They purposely have kids to get Aid to Dependent Children, which they use for other things. Their yards are full of junk and trash and their kids are usually filthy and unsupervised. Nearly every one of them have a dog on a rope tied to a tree or in a cage in the front yard. Most of the men have lost their driving licenses and their women drive them around. Most of them end up in jail at some point or making/using meth which creates an even scarier dynamic in the area, not to mention fires and/or explosions. They're a constant concern for the local police.

These are people who have learned a specific way of life that comes from being totally uninterested in making a better life for themselves and taking the easiest way out. IMO, this show somewhat celebrates this type of ignorance and lack of personal improvement. I truly believe that it's a show that purposely makes fun of these people, not lifting them up in any way whatsoever. Sure, there's a little familial love thrown in, but for the most part, it's one societal level looking down on another and turning it into a sick form of entertainment. I don't think it's a positive thing at all, it's reality TV at it's worst.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 27, 2012 10:52:31 PM

8. Does anyone think that this little girl will grow up to be a psychologically healthy adult?

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 27, 2012 11:17:25 PM

9. On "Will & Grace", Karen called Jack "poodle", on many, many occasions. As a matter of fact, I never recall her ever calling him "Jack"! I never even imagined it as a gay cut-down. As for the mother of Honey, please learn to cook and eat better. Your child is headed down a very unhealthy path if her weight increases year after year in her childhood. She will face a life of obesity and all the health-related problems that go along with that. You don't want that for Honey, your meal ticket, now, do you?

Posted by: millerbeach | Sep 28, 2012 4:04:06 AM

10. Some of you are really bending over backwards to read something insightful about the fact that this fat white trash family is being put on tv, to be made fun of, because...you guessed it...THEY ARE A POOR FAT WHITE TRASH FAMILY...those of you looking for hidden meaning (Vonnegut? oh please) really need to take the blinders off...it's the dumbing down and pacification of the masses...on steroids...WAKE UP...

Posted by: Yawn | Sep 28, 2012 4:43:21 AM

11. I love silly and trashy people, but I cannot stomach anyone in that show.

Posted by: Monrob | Sep 28, 2012 8:55:59 AM

12. Honey and her family seem to take a very candid nonjudgemental view of people and life in general. They are real and they are genuine and they embrase it all. Maybe you should take a lesson from them Sounds like if there is a problem, it is with the authors of these negative comments

Posted by: karen | Sep 30, 2012 5:00:11 PM

13. and yet...... they understand love and family more than the Palin's....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 30, 2012 5:18:31 PM

14. You guys seem to assert that these people are real.
    I'm willing to take your word for that.

But I still want to throw up.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 30, 2012 5:58:08 PM

15. All the adults who are stealing this little girl's childhood should hang their heads in shame.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 23, 2012 8:41:37 PM