Anderson Cooper | I'm Gay | Kristin Chenoweth | News

Anderson Cooper Discusses Decision to Come Out of the Closet: VIDEO

A_cooper

On his newly revamped daytime show Anderson Live, Kristin Chenoweth discussed Anderson's "big summer", asking him what it was that made him decide, at this particular point, to come out of the closet.

Said Cooper:

"It just got to the point where — I’ve been torn for a long time between a desire as a reporter to just do my job and be known as a reporter — and at the same time I do think visibility is important. I do think that the tide of history only moves forward when everyone is fully visible....I didn’t want to send a message that there was anything I was ashamed about or unhappy about or not comfortable with. That was the main thing for me. I appreciate all the support I got and all the encouragement. I am the same person I always was, I do the job just the same way."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Anderson Cooper is one great guy. He grew up in extreme wealth and could have become a playboy living a pretty useless life. Instead he decided to be a reporter. When he was, at first, unable to get hired by the big networks,he took his camera and traveled to dangerous war torn areas to do outstanding reports. Finally the big wigs noticed and the rest is history. Young gay people couldn't find a better role model.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 10, 2012 11:31:29 PM

2. @Iceblow: Would I be stating the obvious if I said that you would not make a good pimple on Anderson Cooper's a$$? Even you probably agree with that.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 12:27:09 AM

3. @Uffda: Big NYC wedding with roses and cakes ets sounds way to girlie for Anderson.Gay men do not have to immitate boy-girl weddings. They are men and should act like it.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 12:59:53 AM

4. @ANDREW/JASON: put a cork in it. You are tiresome. Playboy is on line 1.

Posted by: OKEYDOKEY | Sep 11, 2012 2:02:42 AM

5. Coming out is the most liberating thing one can do. To those contemplating it... I say come out and be FREE. Be forthcoming, honest and authentic. It feels truly amazing and ... Liberating.

Posted by: Cortiz | Sep 11, 2012 3:17:39 AM

6. He's absolutely right. It's visibility that enhances out rights. People, coworkers, neighbors, friends, family knowing that they know a gay person is what has advanced equality and changed people's minds. If everyone who was gay was out, they'd help inspire to change the mind of one heterosexual and this world would continue to move forward.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Sep 11, 2012 3:19:33 AM

7. He's absolutely right. Had no gay person come out, and been kept hidden, we wouldn't have any rights today. It took people being true to themselves and unapologetically themselves for us to be where we are today. There's still GREAT work to be done in terms for full equal rights for LGBT around this country, and it comes with LGBT openly accepting they are LGBT and not hiding it from those around them. You owe it to yourself to never be hidden, and fully be self accepting.

Posted by: Roy | Sep 11, 2012 3:22:05 AM

8. Countless studies throughout the years have shown: heterosexuals have stated what helped open their minds toward gays and be more accepting of gays to fully embrace gay rights is *knowing* a gay person.

Thank you Anderson for putting the needs of our community and our LGBT youth as a priority with your lovely coming out decision.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Sep 11, 2012 3:24:13 AM

9. @Okeydokey: don't ever associate me with jason, as to the rest of your drool: Shove it up your a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 3:27:05 AM

10. Andrew, thank you for confirming you are One of Rick/Ratbastard/Jason's concoctions. All your posts are cryptic in how thier tone is similar to that of Rick/Ratbastard/Jason and this one confirmed it. You may reword your approach an tone, but the heart of your message mirrors theirs. At a certain point, you're going to run out of psuedo screenames bud.

Posted by: Art Smith | Sep 11, 2012 3:30:34 AM

11. Andrew = Troll, guys.

He goes from relatively normal, to irrelevant to bat sh*t crazy like above. Not being able to keep up with your own personality disorders = classic troll syndrome

Posted by: Ronnie S | Sep 11, 2012 3:32:17 AM

12. So many kids wrote both Anderson and Don Lemon telling them that them coming out inspired them to be open too, and accept being gay and even pursue journalism. Don talked about it in a recent interview. The gift of being able to be an inspiration to a child who can see you and use you as a motivational force is truly priceless. Thank you to Don Lemon, Anderson Cooper, Hillary Rosen, Rachel Maddow, and the other gentlemen on MSNBC with his own news show, for all serving as inspirations for our gay children and adults.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Sep 11, 2012 3:35:47 AM

13. I just know for me, coming out made me feel like a real person again. I felt like I was playing a role everytime I stepped outside my house when I was closeted. Constantly fearing someone would find out, constantly censoring myself, or being hyper self aware of how 'gay' I might come off. It got so exhausting that I realized I was living a miserable life where I was literally aging myself.

One day I literally got fed up and ... drained. To play a part all my life all so those around me could be happy? That took it's toll. I decided to be me. Pursue dates. Be open. Have the conersation with my friends and family, and allow myself to be happy.

I've nee been happier. I truly don't even recognize the person who was closeted who I was a few years ago. He was scared, bitter and limited. It feels great to just be- and know that those who love me, love me for me. Not someone who I'm not.

Posted by: Texan Rexan | Sep 11, 2012 3:40:07 AM

14. I celebrate ANYTIME a public figure comes out and acknowledges being a member of our community. Not only for us, as every community is stronger in numbers, but also for him. To live a accepting life is to live a fulfilled life. I encourage anyone who is in the position to, to come out an grant themselves that gift to live their lives for themselves. Being gay is not a flaw. It is a characteristic, and all characteristics make you- you, and should be celebrated.

Posted by: Yellow Mellow | Sep 11, 2012 4:42:39 AM

15. Andrew needs to be banned.

Posted by: LARRY | Sep 11, 2012 4:44:14 AM

16. It was Martin Luther King who personally called up the black actress in the original Star Trek and requested she not leave the show, because it was vital for her as a black women, in a time when blacks were persecuted, to be on mass media. For young black girls to be able to see someone they could identify with who could inspire them to get through their daily struggles of prejudice they faced. And also, it could serve as a reminder for non blacks that they are force to recognize and ultimately embrace diversity. Because it is all around them. She stayed for seasons to come on the show and got thousands of touching fan mail yearly from black people at the time. Same is true for people in the public eye who come out as LGBT in a time when our people are being persecuted.

Never under estimate the power of visibility.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Sep 11, 2012 4:48:02 AM

17. We had a recent Australian athlete come out as both gay an HIV positive, and he credited his coming out from the strength he pulled from Anderson Cooper coming out. He now helps HIV positive people an has had an enormous outpouring of support. Thank you Anderson and to anyone who is freely and openly themselves.

Posted by: Shane | Sep 11, 2012 4:50:14 AM

18. Being able to hold my boyfriends hand in public, is romantic to us. As it is for the millions of straight couples who do the same.Having his picture on my office desk to look at from time to time, is romantic for me. As it is for the countless of straight coworkers who do the same in our office. It makes my relationship feel whole to not hide it, and be natural and comfortable with it. Because I know that there's nothing less valuable or worthy of my relationship with my boyfriend of two years, compared to that of my heterosexual friends and their straight relationships. To each their own though. But for us, that works. And I couldn't be happier.

Posted by: Kevin Mendoza | Sep 11, 2012 4:55:57 AM

19. Congrats Anderson for coming out and gaining so much support for it. You are a true class act.

Posted by: vortex | Sep 11, 2012 4:56:56 AM

20. @Art Smith, Ronnie and the censor Czar Larry: I wish you guys could read. I think Anderson Cooper is fantastic. His coming out was extremely important. He is a great role model for young gay folks. My only "negative" comment was that he didn't have to have a traditional wedding with roses and a cake. In my opinion that is kind of girlie. You may not agree, but to write me off as an enemy of gay folks because of that is stupid. I happen to be a life long liberal democrat. Fighting the good fight, probably, before most of you were born. The first civil rights demonstration that I took part in was in the 1960s when I was a college student in D.C. and it was sponsored by the SCLC ( most of you morons probably don't even know what that stands for). Most of you should be right wing republicans, because they believe,like you, that if someone doesn't parrot the party line 100% of the time they are the enemy. You mutants can kiss my gay a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 5:03:43 AM

21. @ART SMITH: If that is your real name, the more I read your a$$hole post, the angrier I become. You are beneath contempt. Way beneath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 5:11:32 AM

22. @Yellow Mellow: Well said. I totally agree with you!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 6:08:25 AM

23. While it's nice Anderson has addressed the issue of his coming out on TV, this clip sounds like an excerpt from his letter to Andrew Sullivan, which was his formal coming out.

I applaud Anderson's coming out on his own terms. I am sure his positive influence will continue. (Particularly because the Religious Right is naueated by it.)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 11, 2012 10:14:38 AM