News | Paris Hilton

Bret Easton Ellis On Grindr: 'Paris Hilton Isn't That Far Off'

Bret1

One can only assume that author Bret Easton Ellis wishes Paris Hilton had stuck to her comments that gay men are "disgusting" and "like die of AIDS". The American Psycho scribe took to Twitter last night to say he "kind of agree[s]" with the hotel heiress' original comments.

"As someone who has used Grindr... Paris Hilton isn't that far off," he tweeted, showing his character.

Bret2

[Via Gawker]

Comments

1. 1)Brett has some serious issues.

2) Paris is famous for a sex tape so she has no place to talk.

3) Without sounding like a prude, I do wish gay guys would tone down the obsessive cruising if we want to be taken seriously about gay marriage. I know it's a segment of the population but they make the rest of us look like deranged sex pigs.

Posted by: acevdo | Sep 22, 2012 9:49:49 PM

2. Wow, can't believe that JASON hasn't offered up his oh so so passionate humanity.

Posted by: Ark | Sep 22, 2012 10:16:29 PM

3. Oh my, we've upset Ms. Easton. She stirs to grumble again. Does she have a book coming out? Bottoming out? Sad really. Maybe if we just ignore her she'll stumble away.

Posted by: mastik8 | Sep 22, 2012 10:27:47 PM

4. I guess I'm kind of jealous of poor Bret. He managed to whittle a literary career out of a sum-total of about half a good novel.

But it's sad to seem him fall from novelist-of-the-month to professional C-list Tweeter in only 30 years.

I'm kind of relieved Grace Metalious isn't around to sully her legacy.

Posted by: Steveinde | Sep 23, 2012 12:14:21 AM

5. Wow. "While showing his character" ?

Really, Towelroad ?

Let's talk about the "character" of the gay media, of gay sites like grindr, that encourage gay men to spread std's and have empty "relationships" based on little more than just using one another.

And look at the typical people here defending grindr. When your pretty boy looks fade, if you aren't dead from AIDS long before then, you'll wake up alone, where you belong, and look back at all those wonderful "grindr friends" and your wasted lives, and wonder how stupid you were.

I find it fascinating that some of the grinder defenders here are the same people that in other comments claim they don't know any gay men that are meth addicts. I guess that's true, you don't really KNOW any of the people you've me ton grindr, do you ?

Posted by: Buckie Weston | Sep 23, 2012 12:44:30 AM

6. Paris Stilton and Brett have alot in common. Theyve both made such a little go a long way.

Posted by: Chicklets | Sep 23, 2012 10:25:47 AM

7. I'm sure that there are some people who have actually met friends or people to properly "date" through Grindr, but the vast majority of people on there is using it for casual hook-ups. I mean, isn't that the original purpose of grindr? We need to stop claiming that it's something different.

And B.E. Ellis is apparently speaking from experience, so why are so many people on here claiming that he is wrong? It's his experience, he made that clear. Others may have had different experiences, but that doesn't prove him wrong.

There are a lot of people who agree with Paris Hilton. Maybe not with the way she worded it, but with the sentiment that anonymous sex with strangers probably isn't the safest way to have sex...

Posted by: Lee | Sep 23, 2012 11:28:50 AM

8. I dunno...American Psycho was pretty good, if cartoonish and over the top.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 23, 2012 1:33:06 PM

9. just because you're having a casual hookup doesn't mean you're having unsafe sex.

why oh WHY does this thread seem like it's filled with a bunch or puritanical ninnies who couldn't get laid if their lives depended on it?

and what's typical, "Buckie Weston", is that your camp is one again (as always) Anonymous.

Yes. I don't have any gay friends that use Meth. Yes, i have many friends that use Grindr, and I've made many a friend from Grindr.

There's something amazing that happens when you're a real gay man living in a real world and interacting with other gay people - you actually learn real things, instead of perpetuating the lies you tell yourself to justify your refusal to take part in anything. I'm sorry some of you can't get laid. But it's not Grindr's fault.

Grindr won't make you forget to use condoms. The leap from using Grindr to anonymous barebacking is just stupid.

I'm looking around at my friends i've made, from Grindr and various other gay-oriented websites and social circles, and i'm wondering why we should be apologizing for our "prettyboy looks" - it's not our fault we're attractive, and enjoy each other's company. i suppose some consider a life well-lived if they've anonymously ranted about things they don't know about on the internet. oh god that must be a pathetic existence....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 23, 2012 1:56:39 PM

10. If u are meeting all your friends via Grindr, I find that so sad...maybe try interacting with people face to face in real time rather through a one-dimensional sphere?

Posted by: mikatune | Sep 23, 2012 2:17:24 PM

11. who said anything about meeting all your friends via Grindr?

notice, folks, how the Bitter Bettys on here jump to insane conclusions.

Grindr = ANONYMOUS BAREBACK SEX!
    Grindr = YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO MEET PEOPLE!!!

Uh, no and no.

I get it. Some of you need an app called "Troll" - it'll be an app for guys who can't show face pics but want to trade bitterly jealous barbs back and forth. ;-)

That some people can't understand how an app like Grindr can lead to interacting face-to-face in real time with other like-minded gay men, in a sexual situation OR NOT, speaks volumes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 23, 2012 2:25:53 PM

12. *smooch*

Posted by: LittleRatBaby | Sep 23, 2012 2:26:32 PM

13. Isn't he too old to be using Grindr?

Posted by: parkrunner | Sep 23, 2012 9:13:25 PM

14. I don't have Grindr, nor AIDS, nor HIV. I've been gay longer than Paris has been alive, and perhaps, during my 20's & 30's and when I lived in Boystown in Chicago, I just may have out-manned Ms. Hilton, yet I am completely disease-free. Can she say the same? I know for certain my brain works better than hers.

Posted by: millerbeach | Sep 24, 2012 12:55:15 AM

15. Not sure what difference there is between a hook up site and a gay bar actually....you go somewhere to meet other gays..sometimes to hook up, sometimes to chat, most of the time to look at hot men. Why do people beat themselves up about it ? No one complains about Facebook and many gays use that in exactly the same way as grindr, or manhunt, or scruff, or gayromeo....why are we so quick to judge other gays when we have a whole world of people out there judging us simply for existing ?

Posted by: paul | Sep 24, 2012 7:26:57 AM

16. Brett Easton Ellis has become the new Andrew Sullivan- self-righteous arrogant faggot

Posted by: jd | Sep 25, 2012 1:13:20 PM

17. I enjoy this feeling will never realize what happened, I do not know will be a day to achieve it, and perhaps one day start, day end.I hope you will have a different model of the more interesting post, thank you for sharing with us.

Posted by: Replica Louis Vuitton Handbags | Sep 26, 2012 3:57:05 AM