2012 Election | Barack Obama | Clint Eastwood | News | Republican National Convention | Republican Party

Clint Eastwood Speaks Out, Calls Obama 'The Greatest Hoax Ever Perpetrated on the American People'

Eastwood

Clint Eastwood is speaking out in his first interview since his disastrous RNC speech in which he spoke to an empty chair.

Said Eastwood to the Carmel Pine Cone: “President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people. Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.”

Eastwood, who supports marriage equality, is pro-choice, and disagrees with Obama mostly on economic issues,  says he only decided 15 minutes before his speech to use the chair:

“There was a stool there, and some fella kept asking me if I wanted to sit down. When I saw the stool sitting there, it gave me the idea. I’ll just put the stool out there and I’ll talk to Mr. Obama and ask him why he didn’t keep all of the promises he made to everybody.”

Eastwood said he wasn't vetted because he didn't know what he was going to say: “It was supposed to be a contrast with all the scripted speeches, because I’m Joe Citizen. I’m a movie maker, but I have the same feelings as the average guy out there.”

Comments

1. Mr. Eastwood, if you are trying to appeal to independents, calling the president a hoax instead of using reason is not going to win them over. Slowly but surely he is going to seal his reputation as a babbling old man. What a shame.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 7, 2012 1:16:12 PM

2. "Get off my lawn!" That about sums it up.

Posted by: jht | Sep 7, 2012 1:17:28 PM

3. Somebody needs his diaper changed!

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 7, 2012 1:20:28 PM

4. Dear Mr. Eastwood, if it's your golden-years goal to become the new Charlton Heston, CONGRATS. You've done it.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 7, 2012 1:21:08 PM

5. This is what happens when we reduce funding to senior citizens' health care. So sad.

Posted by: John in Houston | Sep 7, 2012 1:21:39 PM

6. I hated THE HEREAFTER and now i know why besides being out of date with modern film making he is a bumbling old fool...Grandpa Eastwood!...belongs on THE SIMPSONS with Grandpa Simpson in the Springfield Retirement Castle

Posted by: mickey squires | Sep 7, 2012 1:23:47 PM

7. sad sad end to clint

Posted by: rjp3 | Sep 7, 2012 1:23:47 PM

8. The greatest hoax ever is organized religion

Posted by: Steve | Sep 7, 2012 1:24:45 PM

9. No. You are the hoax.....with your faux political analysis, your lazy assumption that you can talk to a chair and because you were an actor we should all worship your brilliance !

Your hollow few minutes in the limelight at the RNC were simply embarrassing.....nothing else.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 7, 2012 1:25:32 PM

10. Senile codger says what?

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 7, 2012 1:25:45 PM

11. Um, Clint, I wouldn't say you irritated us. It was more like a combination of confusion, pity, and scorn (with a little nostalgia for the Sergio Leone days thrown in).

Posted by: Matt | Sep 7, 2012 1:25:59 PM

12. What is amazing to me is that much of what this old man complained about with regard to Obama is the same stuff we progressives complain about. He continues the pointless war in Afghanistan and hasn't closed detention camps for alleged terrorists, and fails to prosecute those people in a court of law. Fine. Just criticism of Obama. But what is stupefying is that he actually believe the rethugs would do a better job with this or the economy or ANYTHING! Senility has definitely set in.

Posted by: candideinnc | Sep 7, 2012 1:30:19 PM

13. Eastwood is "Joe Citizen"??? He & Mitt have no idea the struggles dealt with by the average citizen. I suggest they work the line at a soup kitchen or health care fair to get a clue.

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 7, 2012 1:30:47 PM

14. He shouldn't even be given the remote control to the TV set, much less be in front of the camera giving a speech he hadn't even thought up until 15 minutes prior. Tragic.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 7, 2012 1:31:13 PM

15. "I'm a wild financial success and internationally famous....basically I'm the average guy"

Wacko.

Posted by: jakke | Sep 7, 2012 1:32:58 PM

16. What object did he give this statement / interview to?

I blame his handlers for letting him speak in public, because he is clearly suffering from dementia and they should be preserving his dignity!

Posted by: Blake | Sep 7, 2012 1:32:59 PM

17. I was never a big fan of Clint Eastwood. I had hoped that in his golden years he would mellow out. Unfortunately he seems to want to be know as the United States official Old Fool!

Posted by: Ken | Sep 7, 2012 1:37:09 PM

18. @John In Houston: ROFLMAO!

Posted by: redball | Sep 7, 2012 1:37:54 PM

19. Talk about a hoax. This from an actor whose range goes from taciturn to grumpy to brutal: half a human being.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Sep 7, 2012 1:45:06 PM

20. Calling Obama a hoax while supporting the most blatantly venal of empty suits has blown out my irony meter. Never liked the guy but at least I thought of him as one of the saner Republicans. Guess not. Victoria Jackson must have been unavailable.

Posted by: stranded | Sep 7, 2012 1:46:02 PM

21. He doubled down on the crazy. He thinks he is "Joe Citizen", (ummm yeah, if every citizen was a household name and was worth tens of millions of dollars) and he calls Obama the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on America. (ummmm that would be maybe, the Iraq war? Maybe the wall street shenanigans that got us here....?). He thinks he was speaking to the moderates but was as cray cray as any tea bagger at any batshit rally. Yuck.
    He took the cue from Tom Cruise: find a way to use some furniture to change the way the world looks at you forever and ruin your box office numbers. Mission Accomplished.

Posted by: StillMarriedinCA | Sep 7, 2012 1:46:31 PM

22. Obama isn't a King.

Obama is hamstrung by a Congress who is dead set on ending him.

But Clint Mittens doesn't mention that.

He's an old tool.

Posted by: Polyboy | Sep 7, 2012 1:49:17 PM

23. Age really shows and matters, old age is bad with no medical care and its affects are showing on Clint big time. Poor old grump will die soon. :'(

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 7, 2012 1:52:08 PM

24. Eastwood is talking to a pine cone now? I guess he gave up on the chair. Oh, the Pine Cone is a local paper? Well, with Clint you have to make these things clear, he's known for mumbling to inanimate objects.

I've never been a big Eastwood fan. As an actor I thought he was a mediocre talent. Some of the films he directed were okay. I think he's probably hurt himself in Hollywood and with the public at the box office. I'll never pay to see another Eastwood film, but the only one I ever thought was worthwhile was "Letters from Iwo Jima". What he did to "Heartbreak Ridge" was criminal and tragic.

Clint's well past his expiration date. He's made a fool of himself and he just can't see it. Time for some warm milk and a good book, gramps.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 7, 2012 1:56:36 PM

25. "Eastwood, who supports marriage equality, is pro-choice, and disagrees with Obama mostly on economic issues..."

Sounds like he is as effective as LCR and GOProud.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 7, 2012 1:57:10 PM