Charlie Crist | Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | Eva Longoria | John Kerry | News | Tammy Baldwin

More DNC Speeches of Note: Tammy Baldwin, Eva Longoria, John Kerry, Charlie Crist

Kerry

More speeches of note from last night's DNC:

Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) may become the first out gay senator if she wins in November.

"Our president has made historic progress toward equality. He repealed "don't ask, don't tell" so that no American ever again has to lie about who they are in order to serve the country we love. Republicans want to write discrimination into our Constitution. But the Wisconsin I know believes that with each passing year and each generation, our country must become more equal, not less."

Eva Longoria:

"Mitt Romney would raise taxes on middle-class families to cut his own — and mine. And that’s not who we are as a nation, and let me tell you why: because the Eva Longoria who worked at Wendy’s flipping burgers — she needed a tax break. But the Eva Longoria who works on movie sets does not....And just like our president and first lady, I took out loans to pay for school. I changed oil in a mechanic shop, I flipped burgers at Wendy’s, I taught aerobics and I worked on campus to pay them back."

Senator John Kerry:

"...after more than 10 years without justice for thousands of Americans murdered on 9/11, after Mitt Romney said it would be naive to go into Pakistan to pursue the terrorists, it took President Obama, against the advice of many, to give that order and finally rid this earth of Osama bin Laden....Ask Osama bin Laden is he is better off now than he was four years ago."

And former Republican Florida Governor Charlie Crist, now an independent, who looks ready to make the switch to Democrat:

"That's the leader Florida needs. That's the leader America needs. And that's the reason I'm here tonight, not as a Republican, not as a Democrat, but as an optimistic American who understands that we must come together behind the one man who can lead the way forward in these challenging times: my president, our president, Barack Obama! And if you see the president before I do, give him a hug for Charlie!"

Comments

1. Of course Charlie Crist wants to give him "a hug"

Posted by: Nick | Sep 7, 2012 10:20:43 AM

2. I have mixed emotions about Charlie Crist. I don't think he's a bad guy, but he is bad for gay rights. Some think he may make the switch to the Democratic party. If he does, he'll be a "Blue Dog" and I don't think we need any more "Blue Dogs". The GOP has moved to the extreme right, which leaves moderate Republicans nowhere to go. I hope they don't seek refuge in the Democrat's big tent. I want to see the Democrats attract more progressives so the voter has a clearer choice. I want Democrats to be Democrats (ala FDR/JFK/LBJ) and not GOP-lite. These lost "moderates" only help muddy the political waters for Democrats. I think they should form a third party or fight for a place within the GOP and try to being it back to sanity. The Democrats need a bigger progressive base to counteract the party's move to the right of center.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 7, 2012 11:02:17 AM

3. Charlie is coming out step by step, and that's better than the other closted, self-hating Rupugnant-icans are doing. We should encourage his enlightenment.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 7, 2012 11:29:20 AM

4. Eva Longoria makes a great point and I love how she uses different periods in her own life to make her case. I didn't think the Occupy Wall Street movement was particularly effective because it didn't have a cohesive, clear message and no specific goals, but when TV or movie stars aligned themselves with OWS the Fox News cretins would say "Hey, that person is in the 1% so what are they doing there? They can't join that movement!"

First off, the "1%" was never accurate to begin with. Really the problem lies with the .01%, the very uppermost tier who wield the true power through their donations to politicians via Super Pacs and lobbyists. And though they might not have joined OWS or sympathize with it, people who are very wealthy CAN also believe that tax cuts for themselves are unfair and unnecessary. Look at Warren Buffet.

Someone made a valid argument at the DNC that if you (like Mitt Romney) have vast wealth and you use offshore accounts to keep your money from being taxed you're engaging in a form of economic treason. You've pledged allegiance to yourself and your bank account, not your country.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 7, 2012 11:46:08 AM

5. "Ask Osama bin Laden is he is better off now than he was four years ago."

One of the best lines of the night. Makes me smile every time I hear/read it.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Sep 7, 2012 12:05:46 PM

6. "...the Eva Longoria who worked at Wendy's flipping burgers, she needed a tax break. But the Eva Longoria who works on movie sets does not."

Posted by: Carlie | Sep 7, 2012 12:22:14 PM

7. Longoria hit it out of the park. Honestly, unless you come from nothing, it can be really hard to understand how essential hard work and generosity is.

Posted by: jakke | Sep 7, 2012 1:13:15 PM

8. I really liked John Kerry's speech. As a fellow Navy veteran ( although I was never in the thick of combat like him) I was proud that I had once voted for him for president. He like Hubert Humphrey, George McGovern, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis and Al Gore, all of whom I voted for, would have made a great president. The fact that the American voters rejected these fine men and chose republicans instead makes me a little nervous about Nov 6th. (I know Gore won the popular vote but still lost). Please America, don't choose a republican over another outstanding democrat.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 8, 2012 1:30:52 AM