Catholic League's Bill Donohue Reacts to Serrano's 'Piss Christ' by Putting Obama in a Jar with Feces: VIDEO

Donohue

Bill Donohue, the mouthpiece of the Catholic League, whose anti-gay crusades have include getting a gay Smithsonian art show censored, wrongly scapegoating gays as the problem for sexual abuse in the Catholic church, campaigning against gay adoption, condemning Kathy Griffin, slobbering over gym bodies, and attacking Towleroad, has found a new crusade, and it's the return of Andres Serrano's controversial work of art "Piss Christ", a photograph of a crucifix submerged in the artist's urine.

Donohue has responded with his own work of art, a bobblehead of President Obama in a jar with feces (Donohue claims it's Play-Doh) and says he wants to sit down with Serrano and find out how he can get a $50,000 grant too.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via animal ny)

Comments

1. I wonder if he ever got that worked up about the child abuse in his church?

I doubt it. Probably just said "sh*t happens" and let it go at that.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Sep 26, 2012 8:35:57 PM

2. There used to be a place in Glenwood Springs, Colorado for retired priests. My dad called it "the home for unwed fathers." It's time for Donohue to be placed in a facility where he can't harm himself. Sad.

Posted by: Tallulah | Sep 26, 2012 8:44:10 PM

3. @Rippin2: While I don't defend the mythology of religions; you might want to check out the fact some of the most progressive States in the Union, like Mass, N J, R I,have near majority Catholic populations who regularly go to the polls and vote for progressive candidates. I think half or more of Catholics went to the polls and voted for Obama in 2008. Don't be an idiot and write them off.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 26, 2012 8:53:39 PM

4. If you want to have a good laugh, ask Mr Donohue how many people are members of his Catholic League. It is an army with a general and very few troops.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 26, 2012 8:57:21 PM

5. Andrew, I heard that too. It's a very small group, and Donahue only gets on talk shows and news shows because he's an interesting character and good for viewership.

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 26, 2012 9:11:27 PM

6. Ernie, I'm not sure why a crucifix in a bucket of urine qualifies as "art" - I mean anyone could do this. It certainly is a form of expression, though. You might have a case if Serrano had instead painted a picture of the God of the Old Testament drowning the entire world (minus Noah, his family, and the pairs of animals in the ark) in the Great Flood, or letting innocents starve or be killed. Such works would offend Christians (and Jews also) but at least they would involve creating actual art. Is it possible, Ernie, that you're calling Serrano's stunt "art" only because it insults religion?

If a conservative artist had put a rainbow flag in a jar with a noose, indicating that gays should be hung, would you also call it art, or would you say that its "hate" and not real art?

I don't think Donohue is criticizing anyone's first amendment right to create objects that are morally offensive. But the question is why anyone would want to fund it, let alone give it's creator a 50K grant.

With that said, I have to say that I wish he'd left President Obama out of this. Trying to imitate Serrano's vulgarity, even if just to prove a point, is crossing the line. The office of the Presidency was disrespected with this act. There are other ways to make a point.

Posted by: Mary | Sep 26, 2012 10:11:22 PM

7. One man and a typewriter.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Sep 26, 2012 10:55:16 PM

8. No, Mary, I'm not calling it art because it insults religion. Sorry, wrong call. I'm calling it art because I'm an artist who has some respect for Serrano's body of work. Those who don't appreciate Serrano's point with the photograph don't have to. Art is subjective, duh. If he's earned some grant $ in his long career for art people don't like, big whoop.

But the absurdity is that idiot Bill is still worried about it decades after the fact, and even more absurdly trying to tie Obama to it. Bill's pretend moral outrage--in a world full of true moral dilemmas--is nothing more than insane religious posturing,

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 26, 2012 11:16:30 PM

9. Wouldn't it have been more logical for him to put a Mohammad doll in that jar instead of an Obama doll?
    Not that I'm calling Donohue a coward or anything...

Posted by: Tanoka | Sep 26, 2012 11:31:24 PM

10. You know what Bill, it is 100% okay that you did that. It's called freedom of expression. And all Americans are entitled to it. If you don't think so then take it up with the Constitution.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 26, 2012 11:53:38 PM

11. If Donohue believes God created man, why does he think bodily excretions are so bad?

They are part of God's design. Was Donohue taught as a baby to hate poop and piss? Piss is not evil. It is a heavenly golden color, it has a function in preserving life, it is part of Jesus' own body and is beautiful in its biological design. Ironically piss is ugly and abominable to many people just like Jesus was scorned and hated by many people. Yet both are God's creations. People were blind to Jesus' beauty just like Donohue is blind to the natural beauty of poop and piss. Beauty is not an insult.

Posted by: trees | Sep 26, 2012 11:58:44 PM

12. Yes Tanoka, I was thinking the same thing. By using Obama he himself is equating Obama and Jesus. Is that how he see Obama?

Posted by: Craig | Sep 26, 2012 11:59:09 PM

13. Tanoka : For the same reason an art gallery, as well as gay activists in San Francisco, won't mock Islam like they do Christianity/Catholicism. The reason is obvious.

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 27, 2012 12:19:55 AM

14. Mary : That Ernie character is from Vermont, and we know they live a coddled life and can't guage these things. It IS, arguably, real art though: I've even heard Serrano say he could really feel the times he's personally disrespected Christ when he created the photograph. Others have said it shows a golden beauty, in spite of the hue being from a liquid many consider vulgar (which, of course it's not, it's just biological). There's a lot that can actually be debated over the piece. (Whether I would display it is another, legitimate, question. A gallery owner might refuse because he genuinely doesn't want to offend some..)question).

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 27, 2012 12:27:40 AM

15. Question what one thinks is the artist's genuine intention with pieces like that. Is it just to get publicity through controversy? Or does it really mean something deeper to him. That's just my own opinion on how we can judge works likethis.

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 27, 2012 12:30:20 AM

16. I always interpreted "Piss Christ" to be a very reverent work that then and now spoke to how so many are pissing all off the message of Christ.

The irony is that Bill O is the perfect example of those who piss all over the message of Christ - of course he would never get it ... nor does he get why it is important to be able to produce such an image in a free country.... especially with tax payer dollars. It is Christian to view those who piss on the message of Christ with contempt.

Posted by: RJP3 | Sep 27, 2012 12:52:08 AM

17. sorry "pissing all over" the message of Christ

Posted by: RJP3 | Sep 27, 2012 12:52:43 AM

18. Donohue doesn't have to "sit down" with Serrano - that would be a waste of time. He needs to sign up for some art classes at a community college to first learn how to make something the least bit artistic.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 27, 2012 1:42:41 AM

19. Seriously? A hateful Catholic looking for a grant? I'm sure there are thousands of other hateful, religious A-holes that send that prick tons of cash. There's your damn grant, you ignorant, hateful bastard.

Posted by: Tre | Sep 27, 2012 1:43:05 AM

20. This is just disgusting. I fired off a letter to their national headquarters, informing them I can no longer attend church until after the elections. It has gotten waaay out of hand. Propaganda left on my windshield while I attend church, constant contradiction, and this vile piece of disrespect to the sitting president of the United States. Actually, I should thank Bill, as now I will not fulfill my CSA obligation, at least until after the presidential election. I am disgusted and revolted by this man's sick actions. Not on my dime.

Posted by: millerbeach | Sep 27, 2012 5:23:41 AM

21. Some people are so sensitive! ROTFL!!!

Posted by: Jeffrey | Sep 27, 2012 7:14:08 AM

22. i agree with keith. He's obviously not checked out the record at all. Plenty of Catholic art is not only a breach of the commandment against graven pictures, but a visible information of personal and the profane--Serrano got that. Also, this was already done and more appropriate in the 50's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist's_shit).

I almost had written "isn't it adorable when they try to do art", then I seemed again. Not a chance.

Posted by: Maria Jones | Sep 27, 2012 7:20:17 AM

23. When I first saw "Piss Christ" in person, I thought it was quite beautiful. It's a rather large photograph. Tiny bubbles coated the sculpture of Christ giving it a strange tactile quality. It was a close up, no jar was visible in the photo. When I read the title, it didn't offend me. The "League" leader should be on his knees thanking the Lord that artists still continue to use religious imagery in contemporary art. He is reacting to the title of the photo, not the image itself. If it was titled "Lemon Fizzy Christ", would he still be upset?

Posted by: kodiak | Sep 27, 2012 7:31:47 AM

24. "Catholics are offended over and over again." Good, you assholes.

Posted by: John | Sep 27, 2012 9:33:17 AM

25. Nice message to send to Mychal Judge, John.

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 27, 2012 10:47:55 AM