Bullying | Ellen DeGeneres | News | Virginia

Ellen Welcomes Gay Virginia Teen and the Mechanic Who Fixed His Homophobic Slur-Laden Car for Free: VIDEO

Bullymechanic

A couple of weeks ago I featured the story of Jordan Addison, a bullied gay teen in Roanoke, Virginia and Richard Henegar Jr., a car repair shopw owner. Jordan's car was vandalized with anti-gay graffiti four times between March and May of this year. Someone even keyed “die” into the side of Jordan's car.

Henegar, who owns Quality Auto Paint and Body, heard Jordan's story and decided to help him by fixing his car for free and improving it.

This week Ellen had them on her season premiere and gave each of them a huge check.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ellen_bodyshop

Comments

1. Great peple - espeically the mechanic

I had a mechanic who did great work at reasonable prices. I kind of didnt see the stars and bars in his office / shop

Until in 2008, I asked him (good old southern baptist boy, one of 13 kids in his family)
    What he thought about Hillary vs Barack before the convention / primaries

his answer - "what are my choices - a woman or a nixxer

I bot a new car and sold hte old junker to a guy who cuts them up and sells the parts.

Welcome to America - the civil war is like the Korean war - not ended, just an armistice.

And all the BS about Obama is directed at people like my former mechanic. rednecks.

Posted by: billyWingartenson | Sep 11, 2012 4:35:24 PM

2. I would like to think that Humanism was behind this act of kindness. Who knows, it could have any number of beliefs that made this man do this, but the fact that he felt like it was the right thing to do because discrimination of any kind didn't sit right with him sounds like a Humanistic endeavor. This brought a tear to my eye. He is the model for what I strive to be in my life.

Posted by: TooBoot | Sep 11, 2012 4:39:09 PM

3. I think your generosity and understanding is above and beyond belief. I would like to thank you for being a true American. I am heterosexual, but believe you have done the right thing and helped further the dream of our forefathers, who masterminded this dream.

Posted by: lee | Sep 11, 2012 5:03:03 PM

4. It was a great story which now has an even happier ending- thanks Ellen.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 11, 2012 5:17:41 PM

5. Cover Girl did a great thing here for these two great men. There is hope in the world....

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 11, 2012 5:18:19 PM

6. Hugs to all involved here (except, of course, the vandals). Never had such damage done to my car, but long ago someone wrote "Facket" in the dust on the trunk lid. I thought the misspelling was so stupidly funny that I left it there till the rain washed it away.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Sep 11, 2012 5:45:55 PM

7. NICE!

Posted by: Chicklets | Sep 11, 2012 6:49:10 PM

8. @Frank I completely agree! I noticed that too and felt so proud when she said the words FAG and DIE. These hateful words need to be heard as they convey the hate people experience every day.

Posted by: @z0mKi | Sep 11, 2012 9:07:51 PM

9. I love this story.
    I actually wrote Richard to thank him for his awesome generosity and he emailed me back.
    Pretty awesome guy.

Posted by: truthteller | Sep 11, 2012 9:09:06 PM

10. A beautiful story. Richard and Jordan are two wonderful young men!!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 11, 2012 10:37:47 PM

11. This story made my day--my week! The gay kid is adorable and the kid who did the work is a true hero.

I can't help wondering what the good "christian" folk of Roanoke think of this act of generosity. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been denounced from some pulpits. In some ways the story resonates beautifully with the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 12, 2012 6:59:55 AM

12. I can't help thinking what a cute couple Richard and Jordan would make...

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 12, 2012 7:09:30 AM

13. Yeah, now she's all with the big checks. Where the hell was Ellen when Prop 8 was on the ballot and eventually successful in California. She didn't give a dime. Ellen's not all that. Talk to the people she used to know on her way up.

Posted by: Fahd | Sep 12, 2012 10:08:13 AM

14. Be sure to check out Richard's website and look at the commercial Ellen did for him (not the best commercial but still really cool) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-F3tb4fxV4 http://qualityautopaintandbody.com/roanoke-va-auto-body-soldier-project/

Posted by: JD | Sep 12, 2012 10:33:44 AM

15. Ellen is amazing.
    Everyday she brings something positive into the world.

Posted by: BT | Sep 12, 2012 5:54:32 PM

16. If there were more people Henegar, the world would be a better place.
    Great job he and his employees did!

Posted by: Gijs | Oct 9, 2012 10:11:38 AM