Brendon Ayanbadejo | Chris Kluwe | Emmett C Burns | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Minnesota Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe, Defender of Marriage Equality, Appears on 'The Ed Show': VIDEO

Ed_kluwe

Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, whose letter defending gay rights and the free speech of Baltimore Raven Ayanbadejo against the attacks of Maryland House of Delegates member Emmett Burns Jr went viral today, appeared this evening on The Ed Show to talk about his views and the Burns letter.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. The Democrats are based off of coalition politics and cannot simply kick out people that don't agree with every platform plank. It would destroy the party and set our cause back by decades. It is enough that the Dems are now officially in support of our causes. I think, however, that we should make sure the story gets as much publicity as possible.

Posted by: Kas | Sep 8, 2012 8:59:22 AM

2. Keep in mind that the anti-gay politician Burns is a black Democrat. This has been carefully hidden in most reports by the liberal mainstream media. I noticed that a lot of you fail to recognize this fact.

At the end of the day, we need to be on guard against both Democrats and Republicans who would take away our rights. Be particularly vigilant of the homophobia of protected species like women and blacks. Both can be extremely homophobic. In fact, my theory is that women drive a lot of homophobia today.

I know it sounds harsh but that's my assessment. I've been around different social scenes for 24 years and counting. I've studied a lot of things.

Posted by: jason | Sep 8, 2012 9:47:18 AM

3. The video didn't work for me. Here's an alternate link:

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 8, 2012 9:48:47 AM

4. Thank you, Mr. Kluwe, for using your "celebrity" status in such an important way. I hope more sports figures choose to use their media platforms for such a vitally important issue as marriage equality.

And wow, you are such a babe! [for me, that means intelligent, civic-minded, and Hottt!]

Posted by: irisgirl | Sep 8, 2012 10:04:55 AM

5. I always said you needed the masculine straight guys to help out....c list stars and unemployed dragqueens don`t get the respect from the general public like masculine men of achievement do....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Sep 8, 2012 10:47:33 AM

6. As I type this, there are 30 comments on this story and only 4 or 5 of them even mention Mr. Kluwe--and 2 of those consist primarily of comments on his physical appearance.

Imagine that some woman had done what he did, especially some pop star like Lady Gaga (who would only do the same thing out of self-interest rather than out of principle). You would have seen dozens of comments that amounted to a figurative lapping at her feet and gratitude being expressed in a virtual orgy of adoration.

It is high time that gay men woke up and smelled the coffee, realize that straight men are changing and are our REAL allies--and indeed the only ones that really count, since changing the male culture is the key to eradicating homophobia......and embracing them as brothers. The past is the past--they are changing and you need to change with them and stop thinking of straight women as your friends (they won't be when push comes to shove) and straight men as your enemies.....which is as outdated as an attitude as the culture of effeminacy is as a mindset.

Actions like this matter 1000 times more than anything any woman any does or can do (disingenousness of her motives aside), no matter how prominent she might be.......

Posted by: Rick | Sep 8, 2012 10:57:32 AM

7. Well, I may have spoken too soon. I did not see the previous story on Kluwe in which a lot of you did thank him.

My bad.

The larger point I made remains, however.

Only men can change the attitudes of men and if the attitudes of men change, then all our problems fade away. If those attitudes don't change, then nothing else will matter, including any amount of "sympathy" from women.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 8, 2012 11:06:50 AM

8. RICK - you're half right (OK maybe 3/4's) in saying that straight men are changing, that they are increasingly our brothers in arms, and that women don't care as much. But lots of good women do care and the straight men who think they know what the Old Testament God wants will never be out friends until they get over themselves.

I think Lady Gaga has made it more than sincerely clear that she is on our side, not that I care much about her music, or, heaven's forbid, worship her.

Best of all is that you continue undaunted to chip away at the culture of effeminancy among gay men which is both counter productive and entirely unnecessary, to say nothing of repellant bad form. Still, it's true that many men with feminine characteristics are as natural and sweet as the masculine types. They are not putting it on, it's who they are. I wish you could love and champion them. The intentional mincers attempting to be cute are the low lifes of the gay movement.

Keep going, just include more of us.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 8, 2012 11:16:39 AM

9. Or maybe I did not speak too soon--entirely. Just read the story on Ayahbadejo and a few individuals pointed out that not a single prominent gay organization or politician has come to his defense--only another straight football player has.

Which begs the question of why.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 8, 2012 11:18:39 AM

10. No, it does not beg that question. However I am begging you to stop posting.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 8, 2012 11:28:36 AM

11. @UFFDA We will see how the straight women who have been "sympathetic" in the past react if and when we get to the point where homosexuality among men becomes entirely acceptable and/or is even considered "cool."

I have a sneaking suspicion--and there is lots of evidence to support it--that whatever sympathy straight women have had towards us was and is contingent on the existence of a homophobic male culture that ensured that straight men would keep gay men "in their place" and that there was no danger of male homosexuality ever becoming widely acceptable or even something that would be condoned by men in general.

Under those circustances, straight women made gay men their confidantes, their social accessories, their sounding boards for their issues with men, their little "pets".....but those relationships were rarely equal and typically accrued more to the advantage of the straight woman rather than the gay man. Gay men nevertheless latched onto them because it was all they had available to them, given the absolutely intransigent homophobia and hostility they encountered from straight men and the emotional indifference they often encountered from other gay men.

How will these women react if the male culture changes in such a way that men become truly sexually and emotionally liberated and no longer are dependent on women as before--or at least not as much so--and their (the women's) social power base is negative effected?

I don't know for sure any more than anyone does, but I cannot imagine that it is something they will welcome.

And that is what I meant when I said that when push comes to shove, they will not be on our side. At the end of the day, a "liberated" man and a male culture that encourages such liberation is not in the best interests of women when it comes to the amount of social power they possess.

It will certainly be interesting to watch how things evolve, one way or the other.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 8, 2012 11:37:34 AM

12. @Gregoire, I love you!

Posted by: Joseph | Sep 8, 2012 11:58:16 AM

13. Thank you, Mr. Kluwe.

And to Mr. Emmett Burns, you want people to shut up...how about you first. You seem to be somewhat ignorant and creepy, I suggest you read the Constitution of this country and then apologize to all involved, then wake up to history. 50 years ago...you would not be holding your job.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 8, 2012 12:06:12 PM

14. Emmett Burns, in his official capacity as an elected government official, wrote a letter to an employer in his state demanding that the employer restrict the free speech rights of an employee. That amounts to government interference in free speech and is a clear violation of the First Amendment.

Emmett Burns should be impeached!

Posted by: Ninong | Sep 8, 2012 1:38:09 PM

15. How do you know Kluwe is straight? I know he's got kids but how do you know he's not bisexual?

I suspect you call him straight because you need to fit him into your "straight ally" narrative. It's a sad fact that many shallow gay guys need to have a "straight ally" narrative to bolster their egos. Sorry, guys, but it ain't working with me.

At the end of the day, just call him an ally. Why do you need to add the word "straight" in front of it? It's unnecessary and pathetic. In fact, many of you are pathetic.

Posted by: jason | Sep 8, 2012 7:22:24 PM

16. RICK - Well it's true we don't know for sure and you make a kind of believable case. If we have to be "pets" I would much rather be one to a sympathetic straight man, or gay one, than any maladjusted woman.

Still, there are all kinds of great people in the world, men and women, straight and gay, effeminant or not. I'm confident that the world to come will be better than the present which fades as we speak.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 9, 2012 12:08:09 AM

17. We created a "Get a Kluwe - Support Marriage Equality Now" t-shirt (and other products) on Cafe Press. All profits will go to marriage equality efforts in Washington and Minnesota. http://www.cafepress.com/mf/70952790/get-a-kluwe-support-marriage-equality-now_tshirt

Help us spread the word!

Posted by: Jen | Sep 9, 2012 1:33:53 PM

18. i also went to the childrens fund at the viking site to make a donation in honor of the kicker, but see no method, no linkage ... clues plz, thnx

Posted by: khan | Sep 9, 2012 1:56:17 PM

19. I just love this guy for his trolling abilities alone.

Posted by: Boop | Sep 10, 2012 2:14:42 AM

20. Impeach Burns. He has used his office to violate the U.S.Constitution. That is an impeachable offense.

Posted by: Guy | Sep 10, 2012 1:22:00 PM