Brendon Ayanbadejo | Chris Kluwe | Emmett C Burns | Football (American) | Maryland | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Minnesota Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe Comes Out Swinging in Defense of Brendon Ayanbadejo and Gay Rights

Minnesota Viking punter Chris Kluwe, like Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, is an advocate for LGBT rights and marriage equality. He has recorded three radio ads for Minnesotans for Equality, the group fighting a November ballot that would constitutionally define marriage as opposite sex only.

KluweListen to one of Kluwe's radio ads here.

Now, Kluwe, in the form of an extremely colorful letter, is coming out against Maryland lawmaker Emmett C. Burns, who this week urged Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti to silence Ayanbadejo from speaking his mind on gay rights.

Here's the closing part of Kluwe's letter, published in full on Deadspin.

I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won't come into your house and steal your children. They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster. They won't even overthrow the government in an orgy of hedonistic debauchery because all of a sudden they have the same legal rights as the other 90 percent of our population—rights like Social Security benefits, child care tax credits, Family and Medical Leave to take care of loved ones, and COBRA healthcare for spouses and children. You know what having these rights will make gays? Full-fledged American citizens just like everyone else, with the freedom to pursue happiness and all that entails. Do the civil-rights struggles of the past 200 years mean absolutely nothing to you?

In closing, I would like to say that I hope this letter, in some small way, causes you to reflect upon the magnitude of the colossal foot in mouth clusterf*ck you so brazenly unleashed on a man whose only crime was speaking out for something he believed in. Best of luck in the next election; I'm fairly certain you might need it.

Sincerely,
Chris Kluwe

P.S. I've also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage so you can take your "I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing" and shove it in your close-minded, totally lacking in empathy piehole and choke on it. A**hole.

Read Kluwe's full letter HERE. It follows a more tempered response from Ayanbadejo.

(h/t think progress)

Comments

1. Chris is now my hero! Wow!

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 7, 2012 4:09:36 PM

2. Wow.
    "Thou speak'st aright, I am that very wanderer of the night."

Friend, you have integrity,courage and a character which shines !
    I'm just totally bowled over by a man who is just so fearless and stands on his opinions.
    in the words of Martin Luther; "On this I stand, I can do no other."
    Thank you Chris.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 7, 2012 4:11:49 PM

3. @ JamesinHollywood:
    "Thou speak'st aright.............

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 7, 2012 4:13:18 PM

4. I just can’t tell you all how much this means to me. I am so deeply proud of the work we have done and these amazing results that come to light each and every day now. For 1000’s of years we have been treated so poorly, beaten, killed, jailed, tortured and it’s our generation that changed it. It an honor to part of this all.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Sep 7, 2012 4:14:26 PM

5. This man and our other ally Mr. Ayanbadejo hit people for a living. Can you tell? Heh.

Posted by: Cockmonster | Sep 7, 2012 4:19:13 PM

6. Do you think about the internal,mental relationship for this kind or relation. Are there any study about it.

Posted by: gay dating | Sep 7, 2012 4:28:15 PM

7. There's also Scott Fujita, and that's just off the top of my head. There are more than a few allies in the NFL.

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 7, 2012 4:28:46 PM

8. Also add Connor Barwin of the Houston Texans to the list. He has a gay brother as has recently come out in support of marriage equality.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 7, 2012 4:34:43 PM

9. best laugh i've had in a long time, kudos to Chris & Brendon both. i still don't like american football but i'm starting to love (at least some) am. football players.

Posted by: antb | Sep 7, 2012 4:36:31 PM

10. *and has

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 7, 2012 4:37:44 PM

11. Kluwe just made my Hall of Fame.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 7, 2012 4:57:55 PM

12. So Great!

Posted by: Alan | Sep 7, 2012 5:07:01 PM

13. What a decent, blunt, confident and sassy straight-ally; we need more like him, and may I second the many posters who have noted that 'cockmonster' is such a wonderful term...

What a genuinely wonderful man and incredible role-model.

Posted by: Mundus | Sep 7, 2012 5:14:25 PM

14. Well I have a brand new ally hero in Chris Kluwe!! Absolutely LOVED his letter. Every single word. These days are no time to mince words.

Posted by: sparks | Sep 7, 2012 5:22:43 PM

15. With writing like this, people will start to wonder if David Foster Wallace is still alive...well done!

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 7, 2012 5:26:52 PM

16. Thank You, Chris Kluwe! Mil Gracias! Bravo! Kudos! JeffR

Posted by: JeffR | Sep 7, 2012 6:01:52 PM

17. He is my kind of real man, I love a strong men who stand up and speak the truth. God Bless him.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 7, 2012 6:08:38 PM

18. Kluwe comments on a lot of deadspin articles. If you have any interest in a players perspective of the current NFL, I'd look up his stuff.

Posted by: Bobsyouruncle | Sep 7, 2012 6:15:46 PM

19. If this is true, it's one of the funniest Towleroad news items ever.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 7, 2012 6:27:44 PM

20. @ECHTKULTIG: why wouldn't it be true? Follow the links. Geeze.

Posted by: SCOOTER | Sep 7, 2012 6:37:11 PM

21. No, really , Chris.....tell us how you feel!

Finally, a straight guy who is so outraged over anti-gay bigotry that he makes Little Kiwi look tame! Now the only question is: does he have a URL?

Posted by: Mary | Sep 7, 2012 6:42:40 PM

22. Oh my God...that was amazing. I don't know if he is single, but whoever snags him up is one lucky girl.

I want a "lustful cockmonster" t-shirt with his number on the back.

Posted by: Thomas | Sep 7, 2012 7:20:54 PM

23. That is an EPIC response. Kudos to both of these men for standing up and speaking out.

@ Thomas, he's married and has a young daughter or 2.

Posted by: Laura | Sep 7, 2012 7:39:01 PM

24. "Lustful Cockmonster" is the name of my Lady Gaga cover band.

Posted by: Azgaard | Sep 7, 2012 7:44:55 PM

25. Chris Kluwe will be the exclusive guest of Ed Schultz (MSNBC) tonight.

Posted by: Ninong | Sep 7, 2012 8:23:46 PM