Ellen DeGeneres | Eric Stonestreet | Jimmy Kimmel | Modern Family | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Modern Family' And 'Homeland' Top Emmys, While Chick-Fil-A Plays Villain: VIDEOS

Modern-family-emmys-2012-gi

Showtime's Homeland and ABC's Modern Family were the big winners at the Primetime Emmy Awards last night, taking home the comedy and drama honors for their series and actors, including Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Julie Bowen and Eric Stonestreet, the actor who plays gay Cam on the ABC comedy.

Julianne Moore also grabbed the spotlight after winning for her portrayal of Sarah Palin in Game Change, while Louis CK stayed humble after taking home the best comedy prize for his eponymous FX series and Aaron Paul again was honored for his role on Breaking Bad.

This was all well and good, but two other characters, one real and one imagined, were also on display last night, at one point crossing paths in a pre-recorded skit: Chick-fil-A and little adopted Lily from Modern Family.

Chick-fil-A first figured into host Jimmy Kimmel's opening act, in which the late night talker said that watching Downton Abbey gives viewers a good idea of what it's like to live in Mitt Romney's house and later remarked, "Being a Republican in Hollywood is like being a Chick-Fil-A sandwich on the snack table at 'Glee.'"

The franchise, stained by CEO Dan Cathy's homophobic remarks and its funding of conservative agendas, was also later used as a plot point to convince us all that Lily, played by 5-year old acting genius Aubrey Anderson-Emmons, is actually a diva monster from hell, one that flaunts her callous fast-food choices.

Abc_lily_chicken_cc_120923_wg

"Did you get that where I think you got it?" recently engaged co-star Jesse Tyler Ferguson asks of her chicken sandwich lunch, to which Lily replies, perfectly, "Yup. This is what I'm going to eat at my wedding. What are you going to eat at your wedding?"

Another fun moment: Ellen DeGeneres giving him the pants off her legs. You can watch clips from those bits, as well as see a complete list of the winners AFTER THE JUMP.

List of winners at Sunday’s 64th annual Primetime Emmy Awards presented by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences:
— Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Eric Stonestreet, ‘‘Modern Family,’’ ABC.
— Writing, Comedy Series: Louis C.K, ‘‘Louie,’’ FX Networks.
— Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Julie Bowen, ‘‘Modern Family,’’ ABC.
— Directing, Comedy Series: Steven Levitan, ‘‘Modern Family,’’ ABC.
— Actor, Comedy Series: Jon Cryer, ‘‘Two and a Half Men,’’ CBS.
— Actress, Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, ‘‘Veep, HBO.
— Reality-Competition Program: ‘‘The Amazing Race,’’ CBS.
— Host, Reality-Competition Program: Tom Bergeron, ‘‘Dancing With the Stars, ABC.’’
— Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Aaron Paul, ‘‘Breaking Bad,’’ AMC.
— Writing, Drama Series: Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff, ‘‘Homeland,’’ Showtime.
— Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Maggie Smith, ‘‘Downton Abbey,’’ PBS.
— Directing, Drama Series: Tim Van Patten, ‘‘Boardwalk Empire,’’ HBO.
— Actor, Drama Series: Damian Lewis, ‘‘Homeland,’’ Showtime.
— Actress, Drama Series: Claire Danes, ‘‘Homeland,’’ Showtime.
— Writing for a Variety Special: Louis C.K., ‘‘Louis C.K. Live at the Beacon Theatre,’’ FX Networks.
— Directing for a Variety Special: Glenn Weiss, 65th Annual Tony Awards, CBS.
— Variety, Music or Comedy Series: ‘‘The Daily Show With Jon Stewart,’’ Comedy Central.
— Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Jessica Lange, ‘‘American Horror Story,’’ FX Networks.
— Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Tom Berenger, ‘‘Hatfields & McCoys,’’ History.
— Writing, Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special: Danny Strong, ‘‘Game Change,’’ HBO.
— Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Julianne Moore, ‘‘Game Change,’’ HBO.
— Directing, Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special: Jay Roach, ‘‘Game Change,’’ HBO.
— Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Kevin Costner, ‘‘Hatfields & McCoys,’’ History.
— Miniseries or Made-for-TV Movie: ‘‘Game Change,’’ HBO.
— Drama Series: ‘‘Homeland,’’ Showtime.
— Comedy Series: ‘‘Modern Family,’’ ABC.

Comments

1. I do not think they deserve to win so much all the time. There are several who had deserved to win. And am I the only one who thinks it's too early to get married after just two years together? and in addition there is a large age difference. They are cute together, but should wait a few more years.

Posted by: Mer | Sep 24, 2012 8:02:08 AM

2. This particular season, I'd have given the Best Comedy to the hilarious (also gay inclisive) Happy Endings, or to Raising Hope, but neither was nominated.

Modern Family is still consistently laugh-out-loud for me, so I do not mind.

On other forums I am seeing Julia Louis Dreyfus get greif for beating Amy Poehler, but honestly both are fantastic and personally I prefer VEEP to Parks & Rec, it was a hilarious series.

@MER re: Jesse Tyler Ferguson's engagement: No, and MYOB.

Posted by: Strepsi | Sep 24, 2012 8:55:28 AM

3. Agreed about Happy Endings. For me, that's the funniest show on television, which is saying something.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 24, 2012 9:16:10 AM

4. 5-year old acting genius? That's going overboard.

Posted by: anonimodesf | Sep 24, 2012 9:28:12 AM

5. I am sorry, but Bryan Cranston should have won for Best Drama Actor. Season 4 of Breaking Bad was just so good and his acting, especially in the final episode was incredible.

Homeland was good, but not good enough to win. Would also like to see Justified and Sons of Anarchy nominated.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Sep 24, 2012 9:39:15 AM

6. It's nice to see Chick-Fil-A becoming the punch line of national jokes.

Posted by: Tim NC | Sep 24, 2012 10:09:40 AM

7. I didn't catch the subtle Chik-Fil-A reference from Lily the first time (last night), but I still don't understand the joke involved in Lily's asking what JTF will eat at his wedding (which he announced a few days ago).
    As for a kid who's an acting genius, for that label, I'd look more to the girl who plays Shania on The New Normal.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 24, 2012 11:52:21 AM

8. Honestly, I don't think it's useful to use Chick-fil-A and other national homophobic moments for punchlines on a national, broad audience telecast. It just lends more fuel to the "those mean liberals" narrative and gives moderates an excuse to sympathize with the bad guys (unbelievable, yes, but it's true). I think it's better to take the high road and let the Republicans continue to self-destruct with their juvenile antics.

Posted by: Stefan | Sep 24, 2012 12:00:45 PM

9. The same shows win every year. So predictable. That said, Modern Family deserves all of the awards it gets.
    @Stefan, I think you're way off. The more of a joke Chick-Fil-A becomes, the more people will not want to be associated with it.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 24, 2012 12:38:46 PM

10. The Emmy Awards tend to honor the same actors and shows each year, denying recognition of fresh talent. Good thing The Golden Globes and The Screen Actor's Guild Awards are around. That said, I was glad to see the extraordinary Jessica Lange win for American Horror Story and especially stoked for the luminous Julianne Moore's win for her scarily perfect Sarah Palin in Game Change. And, I found (dreamy/repeat) winner Aaron Paul's embrace and liplock with Giancarlo Esposito very hot!

Posted by: Ron | Sep 24, 2012 1:16:25 PM

11. I loved those sketches! I usually don’t find those skits to be funny, but these ones had me cracking up. I thought this year’s Emmys were way more entertaining than in the past, partly because of the skits and also because of the unpredictable winners! I would have never guessed that Homeland would’ve hogged all the awards! Now I feel even more out of the loop, since I’ve never seen a single episode of that show. My DISH coworkers are always talking about how great it is, so I guess I should listen to them more often! LOL! It’s lucky for me that the first season is available to rent from the Blockbuster@Home service through DISH, so I can finally see what I’ve been missing out on. I can’t wait to see what all the hype is about.

Posted by: grace | Sep 24, 2012 1:23:01 PM

12. @"Grace". Seriously? Did you really just do what I think you just did?

Posted by: JT | Sep 24, 2012 2:02:21 PM

13. Yes, it appears "Grace" has posted an advertisement masked as a blog comment. When I see things of that nature I make note of who or what to *not* give my business to. I'm not a Dish customer now, and thanks to Grace's entry I'm less (not more) likely to ever become one.

Posted by: LDH | Sep 24, 2012 6:15:28 PM

14. I, like a great many others, find Modern Family to be a very funny sitcom and believe that it is contributing a great deal toward the ever-growing rate of LGBT acceptance (most specifically, LG) by mainstream heterosexual America. However, I also believe its contribution to re-shaping the public perception of gayness is being accomplished in a curious manner. Not unimportant, and not unappreciated, but curious.

I’ve long found it odd that this acceptance is so often furthered along by stereotypical portrayals on television of gay men. My guess—and that’s all it is—is that mainstream heterosexual America, both male and female, does not feel threatened by these stereotypical portrayals and when they’re funny and well-acted, they continue to watch, motivating the movers and shakers behind network television (motivated less by social consciences than slavish devotion to the bottom line as represented by increased viewership) to continue to create and promote such portrayals. Think of Sean Hayes’s enormously popular (and often very funny) portrayal of Jack on “Will and Grace.” Even with the kindest will in the world, and while openly acknowledging his and the show’s contribution to furthering the acceptance cause, it’s hard not to see his interpretation of Jack as catering (if not flat-out pandering) to the bigoted belief that all gay men are effeminate and ditzy.

I find Eric Stonestreet’s portrayal of Cameron only slightly less stereotypical. Just one example: In one episode we are told that Cameron played football in high school. Given his size and the fact that many gay men are active in sports at all levels, this is easily believed. Yet in every episode that I have seen (and I have seen all of them) where Cameron is running, he does so in the most stereotypical “gay men run like girls” manner. My point is not that some men—gay and straight—don’t “run like girls,” but, rather, it is highly unlikely that a man of Cameron’s size who played high school football would run as an adult in a manner that is almost universally (and stereotypically) associated with effeminate men. Nor do I wish to suggest that there is any one way that men—gay or straight—should run; obviously, there is no meaningful connection between one’s sexuality and one’s running style. Yet there was a conscious decision made by Stonestreet (and/or the show’s creator) that Cameron would run in a manner that can only be described as “mincing.”

As I said in the first sentence of this post, I think a great deal of credit must go to Modern Family for its part in helping to change the way mainstream America views gay people and, obviously, this is being accomplished, in part, by the portrayals of Mitchell and Cameron. And as grateful as I am for this, it is impossible for me not to wish devoutly that such stereotypical portrayals of gay men—even when used in the service of an admirable goal—could be put to rest, once and for all.

Posted by: John in Iowa | Sep 24, 2012 6:47:31 PM

15. Keep dumping on Chik-Fil-A, they deserve it.

Happy that Modern Family won because they're just a consistently funny and well written comedy. As much as I LOVED Homeland, best new show in my opinion, I thought Season 4 of Breaking Bad was the best season I've ever watched of any series. Surprised they didn't finally win Best Drama for that.

Glad Aaron Paul and Claire Danes won, though. I'm not sure Claire Danes can do wrong in my eyes. She's divine.

Posted by: daws | Sep 24, 2012 6:48:19 PM

16. The hosting didn't really do it for me. I agreed with/disagreed with some of the awards, but felt a little out of my depth for some of them since I didn't watch any of Homeland. All I can say is it better be *very* good if it beat out Bryan Cranston for Male Lead and Mad Men for Best Drama.

I know a lot of people complain about the predictability of repeat winners , but a lot of them are repeat winners for a big reason. They're just that good.

For example, Modern Family really could be the best sitcom ever. In its few years of existence, I'd already put it up there with the likes of Seinfeld, All in the Family and I Love Lucy for consistency, extraordinary cast talent and unbelievable writing.

In a day and age when the sitcom -- as a genre -- has almost been put in its death throes, Modern Family is putting out something critically excellent, week after week, and reaching broad audiences with 10+ million viewers an episode.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 24, 2012 9:05:37 PM

17. I don't like Modern Family. It is a present day Amos and Andy show. It shows two effeminate gay men raising children. The Amos and Andy show of decades ago showed silly inconsequential black men. These shows are produced so as not to threaten "real straight guys". They can laugh at the silly stereotypes. What do you think would happen if they filmed a show about two macho gay guys raising children? It would bomb because it would threaten that fragile straight male ego. Amd so it goes.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 25, 2012 12:45:45 AM

18. Modern Family is about as cheap and cliched as a supposed modern sitcom can get. But congrats to Homeland.

Posted by: John | Sep 25, 2012 2:41:50 AM