2012 Election | Barack Obama | Mitt Romney | The Economy | Video

Off-Record Mitt Romney Says '47 Percent' Of Americans Are 'Entitled': VIDEO

Romney-OH-1-460x307

Several weeks ago, I posted a video of what appeared to be Mitt Romney addressing a group of high-rolling donors about traveling to China to buy a factory. It was interesting to hear the candidate talk off-record in such sympathetic environs. He sounded genuine. Not likeable, necessarily, but at least recognizably mammalian.

Below is a much shorter video, seemingly from a similar event. Thanks to the Sky Dancing blog for calling attention to it, and to Ms. Ann Onymous for posting it to the web. Ms. Onymous has posted a bunch of these things in the last month -- the vid in which Mitt (or someone who sounds exactly like him) acknowledges, graciously, that he was born "with a silver spoon" in his mouth; the vid in which he pines for a foreign policy that commits 20,000 or so American troops to Iraq, indefinitely; the vid in which he jokes that he'd have an easier time becoming president if he was Latino. But none is so interesting as the one below.

The full quote from Mitt (or someone who sounds exactly like him):

There are 47% of the people who will vote for the President no matter what. Alright? There are 47% who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe the government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe they are entitled! To healthcare! To food! To housing!

Again: The video's short. It's impossible to know if this quote's been taken out of context. Maybe Mitt (or someone who sounds exactly like him) prefaced it by saying: "I would have to be a terrible person to say something like ..." or perhaps "Too many of my Republican colleagues like to demonize the other side, by saying things such as ..."

Or maybe the video is what it appears to be: Mitt Romney (or someone who sounds exactly like him) saying that half of the American electorate is comprised of slobs.

I can't help but think of how the other fellow running for president characterizes those who vote for his opponent -- how he emphasizes the essential sameness of people, and the sad supeficiality of their political differences. That other fellow, please recall, is the one allegedly running a campaign of "division and hate."

See the vid AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. If Mittens wins, we're doomed. He has zero compassion.

Posted by: Jason | Sep 16, 2012 9:07:53 AM

2. Does he really believe that the government provides food, housing and healthcare for half of the population? And that the only reason people vote for Obama is to keep up all the freebies? And how does he explain that all these freeloaders live in the blue states, which overlap almost exactly with the wealthiest states in the country?

So many questions, never any answers.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 16, 2012 9:13:10 AM

3. Not mammalian.

No, Mitt's definitely reptilian.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 16, 2012 10:26:13 AM

4. If you are so uncertain about the context of these remarks, or if they are in fact Romney at all, why are you posting them?

Posted by: bravecat | Sep 16, 2012 10:38:24 AM

5. These comments just beg for two observations:

1. Corporate America has been the single biggest acceptor of gov't aid.

2. If gov't benefits were seriously impacted the economy of the USA would collapse.

But in the view of the elite these are both situations that are fine with them.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Sep 16, 2012 10:42:28 AM

6. "Entitled"? Yes, you bet. We are entitled, I fully agree.

We are, as American citizens, entitled to an economic and well-being floor beneath which no American will be permitted to fall. We are entitled to a society that treats us with fairness and honesty, and we are entitled to a government that does the same. We are entitled to basic civil rights and a government that upholds them on our behalf. We are entitled to an infrastructure that benefits all, regardless of whether we personally need it "in the moment".

Yes, yes we are "entitled" -- we are Americans, we founded this country because we were entitled to a civil society that respected both our individual rights and our collective well-being. Absolutely, we are entitled.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Sep 16, 2012 10:50:15 AM

7. Beautiful response, NaughtyLola. I continue to be dismayed by the twisting by the right of the original intent and meaning of words like "entitled" and "elite." Thank you for reminding us of the actual definition. I swear if some of these people had been part of the British power class during the revolutionary war, they would have equated inalienable rights as "entitlements."

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Sep 16, 2012 11:09:16 AM

8. The assumption that 47% of people are voting for President Obama simply because they are heavily reliant on government assistance, is completely, pathetically, utterly false.

If that were true, RMoney would lose the election by a LANDSLIDE. If that were true, ONLY rich people would vote for him.

A solid share of those 47 percenters are anti-gay, pro-Christian-zealotry, pro-personal-arsenals, and anti-anything-from-the-black-President. They willingly vote against their own best interests so they can cling to their "religious freedom" that's supposedly being violated.

You're right though, if this is Mitt (sounds just like him), he DID sound completely genuine. In other words, every time he's in front of an audience, he's putting on a face like a corporate exec on his call to the Street. I'm not saying everything President Obama says is coming from the heart, but his sincerity is a bit easier to detect. When it comes to asking for our votes, Mitt is NEVER sincere with his claims.

Posted by: kp05 | Sep 16, 2012 11:09:36 AM

9. he is a stupid money that got lucky and very rich

Posted by: Chris | Sep 16, 2012 11:10:46 AM

10. What NaughtyLola said. We are "entitled" to certain basic rights because the government is for, and by, "We, the People." Something Romney and his cronies have forgotten.

Posted by: Joseph | Sep 16, 2012 11:50:18 AM

11. @NaughtyLola, well written. Mitt is so out of touch of reality.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 16, 2012 12:33:54 PM

12. And many of the folks that vote would vote for Mitt. When they get sick they end up in the ER uninsured because they say its their right whether or not they purchase Health Insurance. Then we all pay for that their right not have insurance now thats...entitlement!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Sep 16, 2012 1:03:08 PM

13. Maybe I am being to sensitive about this issue, because I do depend on the government for alot. And when people throw are the facts that some americans live off others hard works kind of bothers me. The fact is, I went to Iraq and got injuried and I get a disability check from the government. But everytime someone mentions that because I get a government check, I am lazy, no good person who wants to just lay around and get freebies. I had to give up a $50k a year job because of my injuries of war. And I have worked since I have been 10 years old and I am now 51. I am far from being lazy. I would much rather still be making $50k a year then the 11K a year I get from the VA. And maybe I fall into a different catagory, and maybe I am sensitive about this issue, but I still feel guilty that I have to live off the government.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 16, 2012 2:31:24 PM

14. I'm sure Romney's idea of dealing with unemployment will be let the unemployed die. It will probably be the same strategy for the sick as well.

Posted by: Garst | Sep 16, 2012 3:17:48 PM

15. It is called the social contract, you Mormon mofo. We forgo the option of running lawless in the streets in exchange for order and protection from enemies foreign and domestic. And we will even pay you the government for the privilege. Poverty and illness are the most rampant enemies we have. They ruin the pursuit of life and happiness more than any terrorist going. So get the population healthy, happy and educated and we'll do the rest, you idiot.

Posted by: Uisce | Sep 16, 2012 3:23:09 PM

16. So he's basically saying let people starve on the streets, right? Welcome to the Marie Antoinette school of belief.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Sep 16, 2012 4:05:20 PM

17. I just think how that many red states take the most government assistance as a % of their GNP and if you were to take that away from them, they would be on level with second world countries at best.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 16, 2012 5:17:23 PM

18. Now we know what happened to Patrick Bateman after "American Psycho": He moved to Massachusetts, converted to Mormonism and changed his name to Mitt Romney.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 16, 2012 9:09:59 PM

19. @Randy...if no one has thanked you yet, let me be the first. Thank you for what you did for our nation, for your sacrifices, both mental and physical. I appreciate what you did for this country, as I still believe it is the best nation on earth, and most worthy of defense. I am sorry to hear of your current financial status. Ironically, last week, I was in a doctor's office, talking to a vet, who was having equally hard times, who fought for this nation, but was afraid to speak aloud as to who he was going to vote for in the next presidential election...it is Obama, someone who he felt would take care of the vets. Politics aside, it is shameful the way this nation treats its vets. They fight and sacrifice, and this is how they are treated? Barely kept above the poverty line? Shame.

Posted by: millerbeach | Sep 17, 2012 4:48:02 AM

20. I want to say thanks to Randy too, and I wish more people in your situation would speak up. I think there are many that are not happy to be on government assistance but do as a final barrier to being out on the streets. From a party that loves to trot out the troops and practically tattoo an american flag on their foreheads, you would expect a little more generosity when it coms to vet benefits but they want to drain those, maybe because they know their policies are going to cause the number of dead and wounded troups to baloon.

Posted by: MaddM@ | Sep 17, 2012 12:38:52 PM

21. It's actually alarming to see how the Republican party has self-destructed... it's like watching someone committing suicide. Every stupid act that caused their calamity, and the collapse that is most assuredly coming, was a willful choice on their part. Instead of creating a platform telling us what they intended to do, we got one that was filled with who and what they hated. Instead of marching forward with the music of the future, they dialed the radio back several decades to dance completely out of step with the world. When their numbers began dwindling in their party they chose not to embrace others in this melting pot of a nation, but to alienate as many as they could: women, gays, lower and middle class, senior citizens and people of Color. Instead of working to clarify their honesty and integrity, they tried to sneak laws past the public that would keep them from their one inalienable right as an American.. the right to vote. In doing this they lost respect even in the eyes of their own ranks and became a joke or curse-word to the rest of the world. We are watching them slip their head in a noose...in November they will kick their own chair out from beneath themselves.

Posted by: D. W. Skinner | Sep 17, 2012 2:37:54 PM

22. Thank you Randy

Posted by: Dan | Sep 17, 2012 3:15:04 PM

23. Mitt and the GOP are total scum. Yes, there are a few good GOPers, but their number is quite low. We are all doomed if they win, really.

Posted by: Peter | Sep 17, 2012 4:11:26 PM

24. Thank you Randy, Naughty NOLA, and UISCE. xox

Posted by: David R. | Sep 17, 2012 6:54:06 PM

25. How do we know Romney isn’t in the 47% who paid no taxes? He won’t reveal any but the most recent two years of his tax returns. Maybe he’s hiding the fact that he’s one of the 47% who expect things from the government — things like massive tax breaks. Talk about government dependency, millions of "welfare" for the super-rich.

Posted by: Mary | Sep 17, 2012 8:39:44 PM