Crime | News | Omaha

Straight Omaha Man Beaten in Alleged Anti-Gay Hate Crime Outside Omaha, Nebraska Bar: VIDEO

Omaha

A 24-year-old heterosexual man posted a video to YouTube on Saturday alleging that he and his brother were assaulted outside McFly's bar in Omaha, Nebraska in an anti-gay hate crime.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Says the YouTube uploader Darthn8er (my transcript).

Last night I was the victim of a hate crime. My brother and I were jumped by four guys outside a bar in Omaha, Nebraska because they said we were gay. My brother and I are not gay, however, my little brother is. I got into a guy's face about it, and we got jumped, and were called gay. You can see my face. It's so swollen...Getting ready to go to the hospital now. I've got scrapes, cuts. My lip, you can see how huge it is. It's black and blue. My brother's lip's cut up. I want to be a voice to let people know that it's not all right. People need to be tolerant. This shouldn't happen.

Adds the man:

The bar owner ended up banning my brother and I for life. And We were the victims at his bar. Which only goes to say he probably knew the guys who did it. We filed a police report. If anything happens from it we'll be lucky. Stand up and be heard.

While local news has not yet picked up the story there was interest from at least one station WOWT, in the YouTube comments. We'll see what they discover.

McFly's Facebook page is here.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Shouldn't he be going to the police instead of youtube?

Posted by: jason | Sep 10, 2012 9:22:02 AM

2. This story, if true, is awful. However, something about it doesn't pass the smell test. Like why are the brothers banned for life??? Most owners of bars are not going to ban victims of hate crimes. It's just bad for business and bad publicity in this age of instant news and Internet.

Posted by: Chuck | Sep 10, 2012 9:28:00 AM

3. "I got into a guy's face about it..." that's not a beating. that's a fight. That's why they got banned. Fights happen all the time, this is not headline worthy. Next...

Posted by: Clay | Sep 10, 2012 9:31:08 AM

4. Jason:

"We filed a police report. If anything happens from it we'll be lucky."

Posted by: luminum | Sep 10, 2012 9:34:26 AM

5. Sad. I'm guessing they were banned because the bar owners either assumed they started the fight or the bar owners are friends with the attackers. The lack of response from the media in Omaha is disappointing but unsurprising, given this is Nebraska, after all. Going to YT is a way to bring attention to what happened to them as well as alert others from potentially suffering the same fate.

Hopefully the four punks are caught.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 10, 2012 10:34:09 AM

6. @Francis

There is alot of guessing and assumption in your opinion. May I suggest an alternative to your theories? The media did investigate and discovered what Clay stated that it was a common fight and not a gay bashing.

Posted by: Chuck | Sep 10, 2012 12:06:53 PM

7. Well, Chuck, if you're verbally denigrated with gay slurs then there is clearly an anti-gay element to the situation. The brothers responding to the homophobia doesn't wash away what the attackers did and their apparent motivation, which was antagonizing guys they assumed were gay/using gay as a means to insult.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 10, 2012 12:25:27 PM

8. So, let me get this straight, no pun intended. If the guys in the bar were using racial slurs instead of gay ones, and the two guys who confronted them got beat up, would you two still be as unsympathetic as you are being now? No one should be harrased for being who they are, and this incidence of harrasment shouldn't be any less credible because the two chose to stand up instead of back down against bigotry.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 10, 2012 2:50:02 PM

9. I am not being unsympathetic. I am an openly happily partnered gay man and as I stated before if the situation is indeed true, it would be awful. However, I know several bar owners and this story just doesn't sound right to me. It just sounds like a routine bar fight and he is using the sensitive topic of gay bashing to legitimize or justify why he got into a fight in the first place.

Posted by: Chuck | Sep 10, 2012 6:15:03 PM

10. Do people not know gay doesn't mean homosexual anymore? It's a word with multiple meanings. It's stupid but it's true.

Posted by: Lincoln Robertson | Sep 10, 2012 7:06:33 PM

11. they were supposedly banned for demanding reentry to the bar after the attack (and after the bar had closed) - bar owners say they were kicking the door and peed on the building. IF that's true i could see why they'd be banned.

Posted by: fanboi | Sep 11, 2012 1:38:04 AM

12. I live near McFly's and am openly gay and frequent the bar. I've never had any issues with anyone -the owner, the staff, other patrons - never a problem. I know people who were at the bar that night and the guys that were "attacked" had been previously kicked out for drunken antics on St Patrick's Day. The owner wasn't even there that night.
    Idiots need to stop calling fights hate crimes when they aren't justifiably hate crimes.

Posted by: OmahaGay | Sep 14, 2012 9:38:34 AM