Baseball | News | Ozzie Guillen | Sports | Yunel Escobar

BigGayDeal.com

Ozzie Guillen Defends Yunel Escobar's Anti-Gay Slur: 'In My House, We [Use] That Word Every 20 Seconds'

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, who was punished in 2006 for making an anti-gay slur about Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti ("What a piece of [deleted] he is, [deleted] fag.''), reacted to a similar incident by Toronto Blue Jay shortstop Yunel Escobar this week.

Marlins_guillenGuillen defended Escobar:

On Tuesday, Guillen said he didn't think Escobar meant to be offensive.

"I think he just did it for fun. I know he didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. Nobody is that stupid," he said before the Marlins hosted Atlanta.

"In my house, we call (each other) that word every 20 seconds. I've got three kids," Guillen said. "For us, it's like 'What's up, bro? What's up, dude?' It's how you say it and to who you say it. But that's our country. We have to respect this country. Sometimes for us it's funny, for other people it's not."

Escobar received a three-game suspension and must pay his lost salary to GLAAD and the You Can Play project. He will also undergo sensitivity training. Perhaps Guillen should join him.

Comments

1. dear gay men who think that "Masculine Representations of Gay Males" are the *cure* - start with yourselves, show who you are.

seriously. it's all about the masculinity, eh? start with yourself: show us this example.

ten bucks says you can't. because you're simply not man enough. take a lesson from the "fems" you loathe - learn to no be afraid of what others think.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 11:56:19 AM

2. "He pretty much explains that in some cultures, like amongst European Jewry, "masculinity" and being butch is seen as being uneducated and undesirable. Being soft spoken and gentle ie "effeminate" is what men should strive for."

No wonder there are no NFL players named Weinstein or Manischewitz and no wonder Barney Franks speaks with a lisp and no wonder Jewish mothers are so famously domineering. Here it is, everybody, proof of why Ehrenstein is such a total queen! And then there is Woody Allen.....

LOL.

Seriously, though, you are confusing "gentlemanliness" with "effeminacy". Highly-educated men in the upper levels of society do not manifest masculinity in exactly the same way that a blue-collar, redneck lumberjack does......but their behavior is still entirely distinguishable from that of women in all kinds of ways that reflect nature and a masculine ethic.

Behaving in a refined, gentlemanly fashion is by no means the same thing as idolizing women and modeling one's behavior on them....and worshiping them as "divas" and cultural icons to the exclusion of men.....much less referring to other males in the feminine vernacular (she, "girl", etc.)

Apples and oranges. Sorry.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 19, 2012 11:59:37 AM

3. "In my house, we call (each other) that word every 20 seconds. I've got three kids," Guillen said. "For us, it's like 'What's up, bro? What's up, dude?'

ugh, what trash. I feel sorry for those kids.

Posted by: Joel V | Sep 19, 2012 12:03:24 PM

4. Whether people want to admit it or not, the use of the word f@g and f@ggot are completely changing in this country. If you haven't already seen it, I highly reccomend watching an episode of South Park called "The F Word". The town decides to use the word to signify Harley Riders because their loud bikes "ruin everyone's nice time". The kids on the show start it, and are shocked when they are told that those words signify someone gay and say they would never use it to speak of someone who is gay. South Park gets it right sometimes.

Personally, I don't think anyone should use the word EVER but I'm from a different generation. I think about what the last thing people killed for their sexual orientation heard on this earth. I guarantee they were called one of those words. For that simple reason, both words sicken me.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 19, 2012 12:06:34 PM

5. We can't expect much from you or your family either when retardation flows in you guys' veins. We sympathize with traumatized, uneducated, uncivilized, people like you. And btw given the fact that your home environment are not healthy for children, some Child Care organizations should surely get after you guys.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 19, 2012 12:16:34 PM

6. ..and in OUR House we call each other dirty spics...lol its all in fun....right?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 19, 2012 12:17:55 PM

7. @RICK: Uh, yeah. Right. Now, please sit down and shut up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 19, 2012 12:21:11 PM

8. Btw is he this jobless that he keeps a track of what anyone in his family says every 20 seconds? Go, better read a book and educate yourself.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 19, 2012 12:23:21 PM

9. Dumb people should not breed. It is as simple as that.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 19, 2012 12:28:42 PM

10. I have to stick up for @Jonathan; I think he's being misunderstood. People like Ozzie think "faggot" is funny because it diminishes anyone who isn't their vision of 'masculine'. Strength of personality comes in many guises and just being butch doesn't necessarily connote 'maculinity'. In fact Ozzie's jock butchness belies his lack of masculinity.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Sep 19, 2012 12:45:56 PM

11. I'm not buying the "But in our country..."

This isn't your country, this is America and you know damn well somethings aren't the same. If you're that clueless I highly recommend you move the f*ck back to where you came from.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 19, 2012 12:59:49 PM

12. ""In my house, we call (each other) that word every 20 seconds. I've got three kids," Guillen said."

Sounds like child abuse in the form of emotional and psychological torture.

Posted by: We are Here | Sep 19, 2012 1:06:50 PM

13. This is just like how American kids needed to be educated to stop saying things like "That's so gay."
    It took them awhile to see the insult.

Some Latinos are going to need a similar lesson. Hopefully, this is a start.

Posted by: Lalala | Sep 19, 2012 1:27:25 PM

14. I guess it's okay to start referring to Cubans as 'Boat Rowers' then in our family, right? I mean it's funny and other people might not understand our quirks of language.

Posted by: Marcus | Sep 19, 2012 1:31:13 PM

15. It's about associating things that are bad with gay people. It's an underhanded way of saying gay people are bad. Is it going to take 2x4s to the head to get heterosexuals to understand that gay people KNOW what they do, that gay people are INSIDERS to heterosexual culture, that gay people have grown up around heterosexuals?

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Sep 19, 2012 1:35:50 PM

16. I don't mean to be an apologist for Ozzie.

I'm just trying to offer the perspective that while Ozzie in an a-hole that needs to check himself... I don't believe that he's anti-gay, a-hole, but an ignorant, insensitive a-hole who comes from a culture where 'maricon' is sadly thrown around.

Posted by: Lalala | Sep 19, 2012 1:41:20 PM

17. Latinos are some of the biggest bullies around, but no one seems to want to call them on it for fear of offending their "humble" sensibilities.

Posted by: Carlos | Sep 19, 2012 1:55:45 PM

18. So its ok say we call you people Wetbacks every 20 sec in south your ok with that?

Posted by: Ed | Sep 19, 2012 1:58:17 PM

19. Racists say "n****r*" every 20 seconds in their home, so I guess that makes it OK to say too, Ozzie?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 19, 2012 2:10:03 PM

20. I think it's totally fine, because I get so turned on when the guys I pick up at my Evangelical church call me "a little femme f****t" while I wear my Swiss Miss outfit and take a dump in mouth.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 19, 2012 2:16:00 PM

21. There aren't many people I despise, but he's certainly one of them. Let's hope the MLB hands him another suspension.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 19, 2012 2:28:34 PM

22. TO THOSE WHO [FALSELY] BELIEVE MASCULINITY AND FEMININITY ARE LEARNED BEHAVIORS:

David Reimer
    The boy who lived as a girl

=============

I understand some gay men just can't believe there are gay men who aren't remotely, naturally 'fem' or 'campy', but there are. I don't know why, but nature made a few [small in numbers] males who have pronounced feminine as opposed to masculine traits. Probably a genetic issue. Some [most?] of these males appear to also be gay. Society traditionally has associated ALL homosexuals with these traits, when of course this isn't true. But, there are some gays today who still demand perpetuating this myth, presumably because they themselves are 'fem'. There's nothing wrong with being what you are, but there is something wrong when you demand others who share the same sexual orientation be like you, or they aren't being 'real. This is similar to what occurs among other minorities like blacks, some of whom fault other blacks for not 'acting black'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 19, 2012 2:48:59 PM

23. Lololol here we go with "masccccc" Rickman and Ratbastard The Boy Wonder.

Go outside and bludgeon some more kittens to reaffirm how masculine and incredible you are. Maybe then you will become more palatable to the heterosexual people who surround you and whom you so desperately try to please.

Posted by: Lance | Sep 19, 2012 2:54:46 PM

24. On the contrary: I think that Yunel is not only that stupid, but also some kind of Yunelidis trying to seem masculine by (badly) hiding her urge for makeup with a homophobe one.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Sep 19, 2012 2:58:47 PM

25. "Go outside and bludgeon some more kittens to reaffirm how masculine and incredible you are"

No, Lance, I will pick up my pet cat and caress him gently, thanks, and show him how much I love him. I would, however, beat the crap out of any man who tried to harm him in any way.

That YOU would define masculinity in terms of "bludgeoning kittens" just goes to show how screwed-up effeminate gay men typically are and how utterly and profoundly confused they are about normal masculine behavior.

And that is the problem we need to correct.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 19, 2012 2:59:26 PM