Baseball | News | Ozzie Guillen | Sports | Yunel Escobar

Ozzie Guillen Defends Yunel Escobar's Anti-Gay Slur: 'In My House, We [Use] That Word Every 20 Seconds'

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, who was punished in 2006 for making an anti-gay slur about Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti ("What a piece of [deleted] he is, [deleted] fag.''), reacted to a similar incident by Toronto Blue Jay shortstop Yunel Escobar this week.

Marlins_guillenGuillen defended Escobar:

On Tuesday, Guillen said he didn't think Escobar meant to be offensive.

"I think he just did it for fun. I know he didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. Nobody is that stupid," he said before the Marlins hosted Atlanta.

"In my house, we call (each other) that word every 20 seconds. I've got three kids," Guillen said. "For us, it's like 'What's up, bro? What's up, dude?' It's how you say it and to who you say it. But that's our country. We have to respect this country. Sometimes for us it's funny, for other people it's not."

Escobar received a three-game suspension and must pay his lost salary to GLAAD and the You Can Play project. He will also undergo sensitivity training. Perhaps Guillen should join him.

Comments

1. Actually, Closeted Anonymous Ratbastard with the fake-dead dad who was killed by Fake-blacks, take what you said and reverse it.

There is nothing at all in society that has to do with "perpetuating that myth" - that's something Closet Cases say as an excuse to not Come Out. "Oh, you just want me to be a fem like you", said the closet cases, ignoring the reality that nobody has ever said that.

the sheer fact that the resident trolls who can't stop boasting of their own masculinity while deriding what they consider to be "femme" are completely incapable of showing themselves and the "masculine gay men" they profess to be speaks volumes.

there are no people out there, or on here, insisting that gay men need to be _________. with the exception of the cowardly anonymous grown-adult closet cases who demand, actually, that all gay men should be...well, i think you know.

gay men who denigrate and insult what they've been conditioned to call "femmes" are just like anti-gay republicans who get busted sucking c**k in a bathroom - you project your anger to distract from what you really are.

nobody ever, EVER says "all gay men need to be _____" except the insecure closeted guys who are still pathetically living each day hoping they can pass for straight?

and none of you naysayers can, or will, prove me wrong about this because you all insist on being completely anonymous.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 3:00:14 PM

2. Of course i'd never kill my cat. I need him alive so he can hunt mice for me to shove up my butt while I dance around with my tiny penis tucked back. Oh how I envy women for having vaginas!

Posted by: rick | Sep 19, 2012 3:09:39 PM

3. as i've said a billion times, if these so-called Pillars of Masculinity could show us all this incredible example of theirs, maybe we ...uh..."fems?" could figure it out, eh? LOL

so far, it seems to be a masculine man you need to log on to your computer and anonymously spew anti-woman and racist ideologies.

therefore...the most masculine people in the world are....uh, those anonymous youtube commenters? Eek.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 3:13:50 PM

4. Why do some gay men think masculinity is a bad or evil trait in males? Please explain? And why would you associate bad things with masculinity? You all of course have been brainwashed into thinking:

Females=good, pure,smart

Males=evil, rotten, bad, dumb, violent.

It's pathetic.

And Lil' Canadian, one more time: Yes, my dad was badly hurt by a group of black males who assaulted him because he was white. If you lived in NYC like you claim, than you wouldn't find this hard to believe. Either that, or you're gullible and naive.

And my mentioning what happened to him doesn't make me 'racist'. I am not racist, don't hate black people.

Posted by: ratabastard | Sep 19, 2012 3:32:38 PM

5. no, i just like that you misspelled your name this time "ratAbastard", showing that you've been jumping back and forth between anonymous profiles.

rock on, coward.

i've never met anyone, and that includes any gay males, who think concepts of masculinity are bad things. i've only met anti-fem cowardly gay males who make up some "you want me to be a fem!" non-argument.

your fake-dead isn't dead from fake-blacks. that said, if your story is true, i'd like to find those black men so i can buy them a bottle of champagne. they did the world a good service.

but hey, at least your idiocy reached a new low!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 3:41:20 PM

6. Guillen might be referring to "marica" which is used a lot by Colombians- but "Maricon" is complete negative term.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 19, 2012 5:23:31 PM

7. RICK - you're great. I love the wrench you throw in the clone works which get more representation her than they merit. Just make a little room for the guys who can't help their sometimes quie feminine behavior.

And please note good people that the so labeled "RICK" post with reference to "dump in mouth" has long been correctly identified as LITTLE KIWI, the lowest (and anonymous) reptile in disguise on this site.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 19, 2012 5:57:30 PM

8. And by the way, Rick's constant obsession with and condemnation of effeminacy in gay men is homophobic, self-hating, ridiculous, and tiresome.

Posted by: ajax2828 | Sep 19, 2012 6:00:44 PM

9. @UFFDA: You're seriously calling LK anonymous? You can click his name and see his tumblr page, complete with photos that clearly show what he looks like and where he lives.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 19, 2012 7:37:23 PM

10. The problem with some gay men in Latino culture ( and I'm Cuban by the way) is that they think real men are suppose to be straight- and gay men are inferior. But this is about acceptable use of slurs- Guillen might want to say what ever he wants in the privacy of his home but once you become a public figure you have to use your brain before you open you mouth.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 19, 2012 8:33:27 PM

11. FURY - I mean his assumption of RICK's name in order to denegrate him. No he's not anonymous, he's ubiquitous. But never gives his real name or hereabouts...just a wuss with a mouth.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 20, 2012 12:13:15 AM

12. Excuse me, while I sashay down to the corner queer bar for some more meth and positive affirmation from all my tyranny friends !

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Sep 20, 2012 1:50:08 AM

13. All you Harley riding fagots make me laugh.

Seriously, though, these remarks are amusing; the fem queers are all upset at the butch queers that point out that their affectation is a fake put-on that serves primarily to marginalize themselves, and the fem queers, as usual, whine about how closeted and self hating anyone is that refuses to accept the fake put-on.

There's something distinctly phony about gay men who try so hard to conform, something hypocritical and ridiculous about it.

Here, let me help you, if you want tolerance from people, you should practice it. If you can't get along well enough with other gay men, how do you expect to affect change among straight people's attitudes about us ?

Every day I see posts here from the same tired queens who jump to conclusions about other posters words, silly little teenage girls acting all offended without ever thinking to ask for some sort of elucidation, without making any attempt at all to understand where anyone else is coming from.

It's obvious that you are young and inexperienced, and that you think that having a blog with pictures you claim are of you is some sort of substitution for the work older gay guys have done that makes it possible for you to live your lives they way you can now. Maybe you should grow up a little bit, you aren't in high school anymore, start behaving like adults for a change.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Sep 20, 2012 2:06:50 AM

14. Ozzie, honey, you say "maricon" around my house you'll get your teeth shoved so far down your throat you'll have to sit on your dinner plate to chew your next meal.

Pues, Ozzicito, que te jodas puta maricon pendejo.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 20, 2012 11:38:44 AM

15. express gratitude you for this information.

Posted by: keyword rank checker | Jan 19, 2013 3:17:39 AM