Britney Spears | I'm Gay | News | X-Factor

'X Factor' Edits Out Contestant's Gay Confession to Britney: VIDEO

Philip

On The X-Factor this week, viewers saw Don Philip, a man who recorded with Britney Spears a decade ago, try and fail to win the judge's approval. The clip included an emotional breakdown from Philip, who told Spears that "I never thought I'd see you again...At the time I just...I didn't feel like I was worthy."

BritneyBack in June, Popcrush reported on the audition, and said that Philip came out to Britney, saying that the reason he didn't think she would think him worthy was because he's gay. Spears was reportedly supportive, telling him that she thought it was "fine" that he's gay.

FOX chose to edit that portion of the audition out, however:

For some reason — that emotional exchange was edited out of the program. “I’m sorry they didn’t think it was up to the X Factor standard as Britney says,” Don tells RumorFix exclusively. “They already outed me to the world.” Don, who went through a roller coaster of emotions when he came out to Britney, says, “Is Gay bad for FOX? I didn’t do anything bad. They edited the gay out of me.”

The singer, who sang “I Will Love You,” with Britney at the beginning of his career, goes on to say, “I don’t understand it. Aren’t they a reality show? Is it too real?” Don said that Britney didn’t do anything wrong and the omission “is sending the wrong message. It’s like gay is being censored.”

More from Gather:

He says that he got "set up" by producers who bullied him into admitting his sexual preferences. "It was kind of a private thing they forced out of me," he says. "...I went home and had thoughts (of suicide)."

Don said he was honest with the show's producers, telling them he really didn't want to talk about that aspect of his life on the show. However, he did admit to hiding a secret. That was his mistake. As soon as he hit the stage, L.A. Reid kept bombarding him with the same question repeatedly. "What's the secret?"

Worried that he would be outed anyway, Philip finally spilled the beans. He says that admission so upset him that he couldn't adequately pull it together to do his audition number. That resulted in the sub par performance that got him bounced out of the competition.

Watch the version that aired on Wednesday, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Reality television shows are exploitative of contestants: story at 11.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 14, 2012 8:01:56 AM

2. He's upset that they "forced" him to admit it in front of a studio audience, and he's also upset that they DIDN'T broadcast it nationally. I'm a little confused...

Posted by: John | Sep 14, 2012 8:03:07 AM

3. EEEeewww. Have some dignity, dude. I feel all slimy with cold, stale, synthetic emotion now.

I am not against gay men adopting feminine qualities but can we please adopt some POSITIVE feminine qualities? Not just shopping, bitching, fussing, neurotic anxiety and a desperate need to placate others?

Posted by: Steerpike | Sep 14, 2012 8:20:03 AM

4. The Fake Factor is ghastly. Having Britney on as judge simply ups the fakeness. How embarrassing is it that a hack like Britney got mega-rich by miming to songs on a stage? It's an indictment on the music industry and us gays in particular.

Posted by: jason | Sep 14, 2012 8:30:35 AM

5. He should just stop taking DRUGS. He's embarrassing everyone.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 14, 2012 8:46:29 AM

6. I just hope he stops taking DRUGS and doesn't do anything stupid like SUICIDE.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 14, 2012 8:52:07 AM

7. And for today's episode they cut the camera just as the gay guy's Japanese boyfriend was going to kiss (or hug) him.

Posted by: Nik | Sep 14, 2012 8:57:48 AM

8. Nobody needed to out him. It was very apparent from the start. I have an unedited link so, if anyone wants to see it here's it. http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/71958131.html It was just ridiculous. He should be proud and give his self some respect. Did you look at Britney's eyes. Come on. Nobody cares and you should also better take care after yourself instead of worrying about her soulless eyes. Stop using DRUGS.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 14, 2012 9:01:04 AM

9. That was the first ep of The X Factor I watched (The BF is a huge Britney fan) and will probably be the last. The show made me feel slimy and disgusting. I thought his segment was so uncomfortable I wanted to run screaming out of the room. Him coming out (which was unnecessary dude. Everyone knew) would have pushed it over the top. What a horrible, unpleasant show. The audience was booing his terrible performance partway through. They really put Britney on the spot too. Just a terrible mean-spirited show all around. I will be further embarrassed for this country if it's a huge hit. And his segment was one of the least uncomfortable ones.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 14, 2012 9:04:03 AM

10. As usual, though, Towleroad sees a homophobe behind every bush. Him coming out would have made his audition segment absolutely unbearable. It was bad enough the way it was.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 14, 2012 9:06:07 AM

11. Wow - where do we start with this guy!

You can't complain that Fox is 'uncomfortable' with gay issues when you're not willing to be out and proud yourself.

Besides X Factor had a gay guy last night was talked about his boyfriend and had the whole crowd and judges on his side (plus let's not forget that Fox also airs the incredibly gay friendly Glee)

As for that performance... well the bullied girl at the end of ep 1 was also emotional and still held it together and delivered! Find another excuse!

I have issues with the fakeness of some parts of the X Factor which for me undercut the more real aspects of the show - but I think Don got a fair shake.

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Sep 14, 2012 9:10:33 AM

12. Yes, people, he's pretty obviously gay. That doesn't mean his coming out is less important to him or less important than others. Anyway, you can question why Don would come out on X-Factor the way he did but if what he's saying occurred the way it did, then he has my support, because of FOX's history regarding the gay issue on American Idol (and SYTYCD also).

X Factor said they edited out Don's coming out because it had nothing to do with the performance. What we do know is American Idol has definitely intentionally closeted gay performers in the past, so FOX has track record on doing things like this. Wouldn't be any surprise to see them pulling this stunt again, especially given what Nik said happened on last night's episode.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 14, 2012 9:26:23 AM

13. Wow, Jason, I didn't think it was possible but, for the first time ever, I agree with you (assuming you're the same Jason who posts on this site regularly). This is awkward, so you should probably now go back to defending Willard and other Republican homophobes who want to write discrimination against us into the U.S. constitution.

Posted by: Patric | Sep 14, 2012 9:39:16 AM

14. I thought his voice was decent, but for Simon to say he doesn't have a singing voice?! Is that just not true?

Posted by: nikko | Sep 14, 2012 9:51:01 AM

15. I heard the audio when the show was being filmed. The guy literally went on for another ten minutes about how he'd been keeping secrets and had finally come to accept himself over the ten years since he'd seen Britney. But any time one of the judges would ask what he was talking about he would avoid answering, which got the audience booing before he even started to sing. It was very uncomfortable just to listen to. He accused the judges of bullying, but they were just trying to get him to clarify what he wouldn't stop talking about. And then his admission came in the form of accusing Britney of not thinking his being gay was okay. What?! This guy was a trip.
    Also, why is upset that they didn't air it if he didn't want anyone to know...? Creep.

Posted by: Lance | Sep 14, 2012 9:52:34 AM

16. Also, the guy can barely speak, let alone sing.

Posted by: Lance | Sep 14, 2012 9:53:44 AM

17. if he sang with britney "back in the day" i can assume they are similar in age so around thrityish...he has a boyfriend, frosted hair and is seems a tad fey(no judging,yet) and while technically he'd be coming out on national TV, what South Beach queen is traumatized by "coming out" at his age? Xfactor is tired, after what the producers made steve jones do last season, I was done with this shoddy mess. It might make good TV, but there are more important things in life. Like not get all bent out of shape when your national debut as fellatio expert is considered not the most interesting thing about you.

Posted by: epic | Sep 14, 2012 9:57:11 AM

18. the guy reminds me of a meth addict. he seemed way off balanced. i loved it!!! lol

Posted by: sean | Sep 14, 2012 10:01:48 AM

19. the guy reminds me of a meth addict. he seemed way off balanced. i loved it!!! lol

Posted by: sean | Sep 14, 2012 10:02:04 AM

20. That whole show needs to be 'editied' off the air. Also that man is a wreck.

Posted by: Will | Sep 14, 2012 10:10:02 AM

21. I think they did him a favor.No one liked his singing and you can clearly see they were not on his side. Adding the gay thing is a moot point.

There was another guy on the show that was amazing. They didn't cut that he was gay.

Posted by: justin | Sep 14, 2012 10:17:47 AM

22. I will never attack FOX itself for being homophobic. There has never been a more gay-friendly network show than "Glee". EVER

Posted by: AJ | Sep 14, 2012 10:24:03 AM

23. Dude, you didn't need to come out, we all knew. Maybe Fox was trying to save the rest of us from being linked to you in any form because, frankly, you came off a bit "stalkery." Finally, Fox afraid of gay? Maybe you haven't seen a little show called "Glee."

Posted by: Craig | Sep 14, 2012 10:26:21 AM

24. This poor guy is a hot mess! First he complains that he was "forced" to out himself even though he wanted to keep that part of his life "private" and this "forced" outing upset him so much that he considered suicide but then he goes on a voluntary national internet campaign to complain that Fox didn't show his coming out for the world to see and he feels it should have. He first tells us that HE didn't want to broadcast his sexuality to the world but then complains that Fox didn't show it because THEY were ashamed of his sexuality.

REALLY?

Man, you are one confused mess. Please get help!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 14, 2012 10:34:59 AM

25. Awww, this poor guy. Clearly something was missing from the broadcast and it's sad that he was manipulated like this.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Sep 14, 2012 10:35:17 AM