Britney Spears | I'm Gay | News | X-Factor

BigGayDeal.com

'X Factor' Edits Out Contestant's Gay Confession to Britney: VIDEO

Philip

On The X-Factor this week, viewers saw Don Philip, a man who recorded with Britney Spears a decade ago, try and fail to win the judge's approval. The clip included an emotional breakdown from Philip, who told Spears that "I never thought I'd see you again...At the time I just...I didn't feel like I was worthy."

BritneyBack in June, Popcrush reported on the audition, and said that Philip came out to Britney, saying that the reason he didn't think she would think him worthy was because he's gay. Spears was reportedly supportive, telling him that she thought it was "fine" that he's gay.

FOX chose to edit that portion of the audition out, however:

For some reason — that emotional exchange was edited out of the program. “I’m sorry they didn’t think it was up to the X Factor standard as Britney says,” Don tells RumorFix exclusively. “They already outed me to the world.” Don, who went through a roller coaster of emotions when he came out to Britney, says, “Is Gay bad for FOX? I didn’t do anything bad. They edited the gay out of me.”

The singer, who sang “I Will Love You,” with Britney at the beginning of his career, goes on to say, “I don’t understand it. Aren’t they a reality show? Is it too real?” Don said that Britney didn’t do anything wrong and the omission “is sending the wrong message. It’s like gay is being censored.”

More from Gather:

He says that he got "set up" by producers who bullied him into admitting his sexual preferences. "It was kind of a private thing they forced out of me," he says. "...I went home and had thoughts (of suicide)."

Don said he was honest with the show's producers, telling them he really didn't want to talk about that aspect of his life on the show. However, he did admit to hiding a secret. That was his mistake. As soon as he hit the stage, L.A. Reid kept bombarding him with the same question repeatedly. "What's the secret?"

Worried that he would be outed anyway, Philip finally spilled the beans. He says that admission so upset him that he couldn't adequately pull it together to do his audition number. That resulted in the sub par performance that got him bounced out of the competition.

Watch the version that aired on Wednesday, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Can I just say that I'm so happy to read 20 odd responses that didn't take the "gay victim" bait. Yes, whatever was happening went far and beyond him being a victim. The poor guy is a mess and the last thing he should be doing in his life is appearing on reality TV. And also thought it was an attempt at manipulating Brit Brit. I do hope he figures out a way to help himself. I wish him well.

Posted by: Perspective | Sep 14, 2012 10:41:50 AM

2. No mystery that he was gay and the heavy set dude with the dark hair that was awesome was clearly gay so Fox doesn't give a crap if someone is gay or not. The music industry is loaded with gay. Embrace your sexuality dude and accept the fact that your voice is shot.

Posted by: huh? | Sep 14, 2012 10:54:50 AM

3. Poor guy. If you listen to his old stuff he was a great singer. Some people are their own worst enemy. Sad. Def won't be watching X Factor.

Posted by: Tristram | Sep 14, 2012 11:24:17 AM

4. I saw this. I felt bad for the guy, I think everyone did, but he really only scored points in pity and awkwardness.

I was curious about what his "struggles" were that Britney referred to, frankly I was assuming it was drugs.

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 14, 2012 11:24:50 AM

5. My issue with the show is that it seemed pre-planned from the beggining in every aspect. Found the entire thing worthless and will not be tuning in again.

Posted by: Mikey Dallas | Sep 14, 2012 1:08:46 PM

6. Don't care for the show but the guy clearly has issues. People took the gay bait on that footbal player.

The guy can't sing and is clearly off balance so let's give him a $5mil contract? He's not jailbait so that ain't happening.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 14, 2012 2:03:41 PM

7. Nobody cares what Sh1tney thinks and ratings prove that - both The Voice AND America's Got Talent left them in the dust in the ratings. The Flop Factor barely got 7 million viewers.

Posted by: Yawn | Sep 14, 2012 4:13:44 PM

8. "I went on a reality show looking for my 15 minutes of fame and instead they manipulated me! I'M THE FIRST PERSON THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO!"

Posted by: Jmac | Sep 14, 2012 4:16:02 PM

9. Since when does one need to ne able to sing to become a pop star?

Posted by: Manuel | Sep 14, 2012 8:09:04 PM

10. Don Phillip is an embarrassment to every gay MAN who ever lived. Sniveling, weak, self loathing, and feminine. Major loser.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 15, 2012 12:26:57 AM

11. I don't think it was edited do to homophobia. IMO, it was edited because it was awkward and manipulative.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 15, 2012 12:50:53 AM

12. This seemed really awkward. It should have been edited. His "confession" was pointless and irrelevant.

Posted by: Robert Ellison | Sep 15, 2012 3:33:57 AM

13. That guy was obviously mentally deranged ("I SUNG BAD AND HURT BRITNEY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"), in additional to being hypocritical.

I'm not disappointed that Fox edited out more crying. The premiere episode was 90% crying already.

Posted by: meow | Sep 15, 2012 11:41:08 AM

14. The guy is an attention junkie, plain and simple.

Posted by: Stefan | Sep 17, 2012 10:40:56 AM