Film | Film and TV | Gay Parents | Rupert Everett

Rupert Everett Is Against Gay Parenthood

Rupert_everett4Rupert Everett, of My Best Friend's Wedding, Shakespeare In Love, and so on, "can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads."

So he says in an interview with The Sunday Times. (The Times is subscription-only, but you can find a recap at The Telegraph.) Why does he feel this way? It's his mum:

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he said ... “Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion"

Rupert's mum, says the actor, always wanted her son to marry a woman and have kids. She'd still like that, she says:

“I’d like him to have children. He’s so good with children. He’d make a wonderful father.

“But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I’ve told him that and he takes it very well. He doesn’t get angry with me. He just smiles.”

In case we'd forgotten, the Telegraph helpfully reminds us that Rupert Everett is the same actor who's urged gay thesps to remain in the closet for the good of their careers.

Comments

1. The only comment I will make is "consider the source".

Posted by: OS2Guy | Sep 16, 2012 2:08:30 PM

2. He should have bought a new personality instead of a new face.

Posted by: MIckey | Sep 16, 2012 2:09:11 PM

3. LOL! I couldn't think of anyone's opinion that I value less. Why would anyone care what he thinks about...anything? Because he's an actor? Makes me value his opinion even less. Because he's gay? Who isn't? Because his Mommy says so...how stupid is that? Rupert always seems so unhappy and though I hate the idea, self-loathing.

My two sons would happily tell him he needs to shut up and look for his next job. Because they both have it pretty good and live in a home filled with love and joy, creativity and athletics, respect and acceptance.

Please don't mistake a British accent with intelligence. Mr. Everett is a prime example of why.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 16, 2012 2:32:04 PM

4. He's entitled to his opinions, but I totally disagree with him.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 16, 2012 2:34:45 PM

5. This man has been unhappy for many years. I hope his life improves at some point.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 16, 2012 2:51:08 PM

6. We don't get to chose our parents, Rupert. Also, if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all.

Posted by: ty | Sep 16, 2012 2:54:16 PM

7. Roops, you are getting boring in your old age, and I'm the same age as him.

Posted by: Sylvatica | Sep 16, 2012 2:59:47 PM

8. Children are the blight of human existence. I have no idea why anyone would repopulate this horrid world. Take two steps outside and you'll encounter a useless ankle-biter with its shrill emanations and detestable visage. Smug teenaged females. Crying babies on planes and in restaurant. Unruly, unleashed toddlers at the supermarkets. Vermin, every last one of them. They should be raised like cattle by electroconvulsive machines until they are conditioned to behave and produce in society.

Posted by: Uisce | Sep 16, 2012 3:09:07 PM

9. Oh, garsh, another Uncle Tom Gay person.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 16, 2012 3:17:02 PM

10. Sad that they had to go back 15 years to find a movie that he's in that anyone cares about. He blames being gay for his stalled career, not horrible movies like "the next best thing."

Ignoring that there are plenty of successful gay actors out there like Matt Bomer, Ian mackellan, Zachary Quinto and John Barrowman, he instead just says nasty stuff to get noticed.

Why do I feel like a gay remake of "whatever happened to baby Jane" with he and Kevin Spacey is in the works.

Posted by: Red assault | Sep 16, 2012 3:45:53 PM

11. Maybe this is why Madonna ditched him. She is more gay positive than he is.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Sep 16, 2012 3:57:50 PM

12. Maybe this is why Madonna ditched him. She is more gay positive than he is.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Sep 16, 2012 3:57:53 PM

13. Dear Rupert,
    You are a "has-been", yesterday's man; now move on and stop giving interviews, they only expose your stupidity and your bitter resentment.
    Signed;
    Dad.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 16, 2012 4:04:06 PM

14. PS : Gay dads have the motivation, care, and interest to educate and rear their children, which is more than can be said of many who become parents 'by accident'.

Rupert is blathering on, as he always does, about his own shortcomings and his life-failures.
    I agree that this creep is "self-loathing".

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 16, 2012 4:08:34 PM

15. Celebrity, major and *minor (*in his case) does not preclude mental illness...and often can enhance it. His self-loathing has been a matter of public record for years and years. The poor thing. Clearly "Mummy" hasn't done him any favors.

Posted by: Geoff | Sep 16, 2012 4:12:25 PM

16. I always wondered what a "World-class Asshat" looked like. Now I do.

Posted by: Jumper | Sep 16, 2012 4:27:21 PM

17. @UISCE: Hi RICK

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 16, 2012 4:29:50 PM

18. This guy's a non-entity. Why waste anytime reporting on him?

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Sep 16, 2012 4:40:22 PM

19. I support the right of any gay person to have, adopt or raise a child. However, I expect that few of us, myself included, will choose to exercise that right.

Posted by: jimsur212 | Sep 16, 2012 4:41:24 PM

20. I absolutely, positively DESPISE that man.

He is the epitome of a "self hater."

I feel bad that homophobia seems to be drilled in his head and he can't get past it, but it's well past time we DENOUNCE everything this man has to say and make it clear *he does not represent us!*

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 16, 2012 4:45:42 PM

21. Poor thing. How pathetic.

Posted by: Rocco | Sep 16, 2012 5:02:41 PM

22. Rupert Everett, if you're mom won't cut the strings, you can.

Posted by: newz4i | Sep 16, 2012 5:04:49 PM

23. He is a bitter queen because he wanted to be a big movie star.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 16, 2012 5:20:13 PM

24. Hey, Rupert,

Brad Pitt called. He said even if your mom is a bigoted idiot, you can still love her without agreeing with her stupidity.

Might want to give it a try.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Sep 16, 2012 5:50:28 PM

25. "Some gays complain too much. Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion"

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Sep 16, 2012 6:15:33 PM