Film | Film and TV | Gay Parents | Rupert Everett

Rupert Everett Is Against Gay Parenthood

Rupert_everett4Rupert Everett, of My Best Friend's Wedding, Shakespeare In Love, and so on, "can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads."

So he says in an interview with The Sunday Times. (The Times is subscription-only, but you can find a recap at The Telegraph.) Why does he feel this way? It's his mum:

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he said ... “Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion"

Rupert's mum, says the actor, always wanted her son to marry a woman and have kids. She'd still like that, she says:

“I’d like him to have children. He’s so good with children. He’d make a wonderful father.

“But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I’ve told him that and he takes it very well. He doesn’t get angry with me. He just smiles.”

In case we'd forgotten, the Telegraph helpfully reminds us that Rupert Everett is the same actor who's urged gay thesps to remain in the closet for the good of their careers.

Comments

1. Rupert has some issues. Unfortunately, his family seems to be at the root of why he's so unhappy, and has such low self-esteem. He has so much going for him, but it seems like his problems, and the way that his mother has poisoned his mind are keeping him from having a great life.

Posted by: cadence | Sep 16, 2012 6:29:06 PM

2. Foolish social commentary fail for aging self-loathing actor.

Posted by: Humanzee | Sep 16, 2012 6:34:38 PM

3. Is there ANY other mediocre (at best) actor as pathetic as R. Everett?

I think not.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Sep 16, 2012 6:40:27 PM

4. Let's see, who am I going to admire more, a man of limited emotional and mental abilities, or the likes of Derek Jacobi, John Geilgud and a host of out, proud and SUCCESSFUL British actors?

Posted by: Palmer | Sep 16, 2012 8:24:33 PM

5. Hello, Darling, Are You Working....on your 'self-hatred' issue?!

Posted by: Iban4yesu | Sep 16, 2012 8:37:13 PM

6. He was good in Ideal Husband. But really, actors are the dumbest set around, besides models. They probably should keep their yappers shut most of the time. But the public are not much better for listening to them.

Posted by: Wilberforce1 | Sep 16, 2012 8:44:38 PM

7. It's too bad. I thought that he gave a very charming, charismatic performance in "My Best Friend's Wedding" and he was very good-looking, too. I hope that he gets some help or else he'll join Kirk Cameron on the anti-gay talk circuit and the two of them can bring themselves to orgasm by reciting the dirtiest parts of the Bible.

Posted by: Robert K. | Sep 16, 2012 8:46:50 PM

8. It's too bad. I thought that he gave a very charming, charismatic performance in "My Best Friend's Wedding" and he was very good-looking, too. I hope that he gets some help or else he'll join Kirk Cameron on the anti-gay talk circuit and the two of them can bring themselves to orgasm by reciting the dirtiest parts of the Bible.

Posted by: Robert K. | Sep 16, 2012 8:47:11 PM

9. ANd his career is tanking

Posted by: Allan | Sep 16, 2012 8:47:21 PM

10. who cares what this botoxed bitter queen has to say.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 16, 2012 8:52:25 PM

11. Actors & dogs keep off the grass.

Posted by: dearcomrade | Sep 16, 2012 8:59:36 PM

12. Oh Rupert. You stopped being relevant 12 years ago.

No one cares about your envy for what NPH and Matt Bomer have.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 16, 2012 9:03:22 PM

13. These are good people giving their opinions on a very difficult topic. Even though I don't completely agree with their opinions, they have ever right to be heard. Unfortunately the left wing purists, every bit as intollerant as the right wing purists, will savage them. Hopefully they are strong enough to ignore the idiots.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 16, 2012 9:30:21 PM

14. What's all this "he has a right to his opinion"? Having an opinion contrary to fact deserves being called out. Wouldn't we do the same if his opinion, based on his Mum's input, was that the world is flat?

PS. In my opinion, that he claims to be an actor, is not supported by the facts.

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 16, 2012 10:14:04 PM

15. Rupert was born into money. He has a very wealthy background. He's never done a days work in his life. He is completely out of touch with reality.
    He can't find a boyfriend who will stay with him because he is a mess. He's always been a mess. If he could find a man to stay with him and have kids he would - he's just a spoiled, jealous, bitter little boy.

I don't want kids but I will certainly support the people who do want to have kids. That's the difference between me and Rupert Everett - I'm not totally self absorbed !

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 16, 2012 11:09:26 PM

16. It's not that kids need a mom and dad, it's just that gays are not suited for parenting. To raise a child you have to teach them, you know, important things, like being honest, keeping your word, being courageous, how to develop dignity and integrity, and so on.

My experience is that these good traits are sadly lacking in the gay community. If a boy is raised by two gay dads, he's likely to learn how to do drugs or become an alcoholic, pick up hustlers, go bareback even when HIV is still a serious threat, post naked and shameless pics of himself online, beg other men to pee in his mouth, never fully see another man as a human being beyond being a sexual object.

He'll also never learn how to keep his word, be a dependable worker, or show any genuine involvement in his community. He'll also develop a strong aversion to intelligence and depth of character. And he'll crumble under pressure or any time he actually needs to "man up."

You know, the usual issue that plague the gay community today.

Nope,sorry, it's just not a good idea for gays to raise kids. Not until gays can get their act together. That'll probably be never, of course.

Posted by: Victor | Sep 16, 2012 11:46:13 PM

17. @Victor: Come out; come out Victor whoever you are!!! We all know that this is a bogus post. Fess UP!!!

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 16, 2012 11:51:06 PM

18. @ANDREW: I'm already out. Just ashamed to be associated with your lot. You know, I like being a man, possessing manly virtues, etc. You know, all those things completely foreign to all you pooftas over there in Fairy Cupcakeland.

Posted by: Victor | Sep 16, 2012 11:58:58 PM

19. @Victor: NO self respecting gay man would post the vile nonsense you posted above. You are just some a$$hole making waves. Believe me REAL gay people have triumphed over enemies far more significant than ants like you.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 17, 2012 12:07:34 AM

20. Mama's boy with chronically low self-esteem went to Hollywood where rejection and exploitation is the name of the game and now COMPLAINS that the cosmos conspired to keep him in the D-list because he's gay. Aaawwww, sweetie --- here's a 1,500 milligram ampule of morphine sulfate; before you shoot it up both arms, take three shots of tequila. I guarantee you'll feel MUCH better, dear.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Sep 17, 2012 12:15:31 AM

21. English guy who when he was young had great looks and dabbled in prostitution right before becoming an actor ... now looking desperate after BAD PLASTIC SURGERY and no one wanting his type because of his bad attitude ... now has an "opinion" that no one cares about ...

NEXT!

Posted by: FunMe | Sep 17, 2012 12:19:36 AM

22. @Victor: After rereading your vile post above, I apologise for thinking that it was bogus. I now realise that it is autobiographical. I have read that in the 1970s and 1980's there were gay men who lived like you. Thankfully, except for a few holdovers like you, that is all ancient history.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 17, 2012 12:23:13 AM

23. @ANDREW: No, only a self-respecting man would. It's about time real men who care about other people, about being decent, and about intelligence and empathy finally stood up to the nonsense, frivolity, duplicity, and shamefulness of the gay community.

Example: HIV is still a very real problem, but go to a sex site and men are both begging for and bragging about doing it bareback. And then when they get sick we're supposed to open our wallets and hearts and look upon them as "victims." It's effin' pathetic. Man up and be responsbile for your own life.

Posted by: Victor | Sep 17, 2012 12:23:34 AM

24. @ ANDREW: Nope. I'm sure it gives you comfort to think I'm talking about myself, but nothing could be further from the truth. I actually know how to be responsible, keep my word, and be a honest man in word and deed. I don't need to get drunk every week, pick up men off the street, or spread my ass cheeks in pics for sex sites in order to feel good about myself.

Posted by: Victor | Sep 17, 2012 12:27:27 AM

25. @Victor: Stop going to sex sites and go to places where you can meet real honest, decent, hard working, committed gay men. I volunteer at a gay community center and have met none of the type "gay" men you seem to know. Some of the men and women who come to the center, when not busy working and raising children, are outstanding people. The world is passing you by. Get out and meet the out and proud gay people of today. Put down the computer and the sex sites and meet real gay folks.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 17, 2012 12:37:10 AM