News | Rupert Everett

BigGayDeal.com

Rupert Everett: Gay Marriage is 'Beyond Tragic', Having Babies is 'Absolutely Hideous'

Rupert Everett clarifies his recent remarks about gay dads to Decca Aitkenhead at the Guardian:

Everett"For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that's where my problems in this particular area come from. For me, personally, the last thing I would like in the entire world would be to go through cocktailing my sperm with my boyfriend and finding some grim couple in Ohio who are gluten-free and who you pay $75,000 to have your baby. To me it feels absolutely hideous. But that's me, just me. I'm not having a go at gay couples who do. I think if Elton and David want to have babies, that's wonderful. I think we should all do what we want. Isn't there a middle way, where you can just say, 'Not for me, but it doesn't matter'? But no, everything's sort of turned into al-Qaida. I'm sure I'm going to be nail-bombed. David Furnish is probably going to send Patrick Cox with a bomb and blow up the theatre."

Everett adds, on marriage:

"Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don't want to have queens getting married. It's kind of understandable that they don't; they're crusty old calcified freaks. But why do we want to get married in churches? I don't understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It's grotesque. It's just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later. It's just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster."

Comments

1. I really don't give a $hit what he says about anything .
    I just can't stand him.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 30, 2012 10:31:58 AM

2. "Bitter...party of one."

Posted by: Tre | Sep 30, 2012 11:30:25 AM

3. Again, actors are the dumbest people around besides models. But this queen is so stupid he's embarassing. He can't let others make simple choices about how to live without trashing them. He's pathetic.

Posted by: Wilberforce1 | Sep 30, 2012 12:02:29 PM

4. @DV and others: "You missed what gay is really about."

Who made you pope?

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 30, 2012 12:47:36 PM

5. guys, take a deep breath and crack open your textbooks, Psychology 101: it's called "I Don't Want What I Haven't Got"

its cousin is "I Don't Want What I Know I'll Never Get"

thus, his comments make perfect sense. thus, give him an eye-roll and move along.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 30, 2012 2:24:59 PM

6. Well, after reading all of this, I would hate to have Rupert accompany me to Gay Days at Disneyworld. I think he would ruin the Enchanted Tiki Birds attraction, among others. :-)

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 30, 2012 2:29:30 PM

7. hey, radical53, if you're such a powerful strong and empowered force of a Gay Man let's see ya put a face and name to your comments.

ten bucks says you don't have the balls. Stonewall my ass. Stonewall wasn't about cowards with no testicles anonymously griping about others, you plebe.

*elegant curtsy*

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 30, 2012 2:40:23 PM

8. This is the telling remark "Why do queens want to go and get married in churches?"

He continues, like many of the opponents of gay marriage, to believe its an issue about "church" and "religious practice" and NOT about the basic HUMAN RIGHTS imparted by the act of "marriage."

So sad that he's blind to the situation outside of how it applies to him.

Posted by: Aaron C. Yeagle | Sep 30, 2012 2:49:10 PM

9. He sounds like an old and bitter queen

Posted by: craig | Sep 30, 2012 3:00:57 PM

10. Self entitled fags are so today. I agree with him totally. Replicating heteroosexuals is the biggest tragedy to happen to homosexuals in history.
    20 hours ago · Like · 6

Posted by: GB | Sep 30, 2012 3:32:26 PM

11. "You all want us to conform and live a lifestyle that we don't want to live or be part of."

You can live whatever lifestyle you want, provided it doesn't affect me whatsoever.

But I'm not interested in validating some pre-HIV, 1970s conception of homosexuality as the one true faith, which is what so many here seemed to have signed up for.

If people want to define their lives through being childless and alone, that's fine. I don't care. But stop saying that those of us who want a family should turn in our gay cards.

Posted by: Nat | Sep 30, 2012 3:44:34 PM

12. So who is trying to make Rupert Everett have a baby? I wouldn't trust him with a house plant!

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 30, 2012 4:05:17 PM

13. What a nonsensical and contradictory bore.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Sep 30, 2012 4:10:49 PM

14. his comments, and the comments of others here are sort of puzzling to me.

personally, i stopped caring about how others see me and about living up to someone else's chosen "standards" when i Came Out.

it's one of those things that happens when you form a solid and secure sense of self - you stop pretending that the choices of others have anything to do with how you live your life, or how much you enjoy it.

i'm stunned other adults on here aren't capable of the same thing.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 30, 2012 4:13:15 PM

15. Also, as a broader comment to those who agree with his comments: stop whining.

No one is legally forcing you to have a child, to get married, or even to be monogamous. Those all remain choices for you as an individual to make.

But as of 2012, there are laws in place across the world that prevent gays from having children and getting married. There are laws that effectively preclude gay relationships by criminalizing homosexuality.

And as someone who wants to a) get married; b) have children; c) will likely continue to live in a country where social acceptance for those things is minimal at best, I really don't have much sympathy for someone who thinks my desires are illegitimate but that their desires represent authentic homosexuality.

Posted by: Nat | Sep 30, 2012 4:23:14 PM

16. Further followup:

You Everett apologists remind me of the first-wave feminists who didn't want to obtain the right to vote because they wanted to preserve their protected, domestic sphere, or the black activists who became more obsessed with maintaining community solidarity through ghettoization than actually advancing civil rights.

If you don't want to do a particular thing, or advance to a particular point, that's fine. Stop thinking everyone else shares the same mindset.

Posted by: Nat | Sep 30, 2012 4:27:27 PM

17. in related news, all of you who complain about gay couples in openly-sexual relationships need to get over it, too.

it's not the fault of a gay couple that understands each other and their sex-drives that you can't get laid or find anyone who wants to date you.

they're not the reason you're single. you're the reason you're single. know that. ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 30, 2012 4:38:12 PM

18. He could have just said, I'm too pathetic to go my own way without tooting my horn about it.

Everyone should have the right to do as they wish. It's pretty simple. People who go broke spending on their wedding are lemmings, regardless of their respective sexes. My husband and I had a very nice wedding (in beautiful Vancouver, BC) that we defined and paid for.

Posted by: David R. | Sep 30, 2012 5:58:59 PM

19. More to the point, he should have said, "I'm too pathetic to go my own way without complaining about everyone else going theirs."

Posted by: David R. | Sep 30, 2012 5:59:43 PM

20. I like some of the points he makes. Lately, gays and lesbians have become so obsessed with this "marriage and kids" thing. I could care less about either. I'd rather fight for ENDA, cuz everyone needs a job. But marriage and kids? Don't really need that! Half the charm of being gay is not feeling like you have to have those.

Posted by: Rob | Sep 30, 2012 6:21:39 PM

21. As one of the few men that made it through the 70's and 80's. I never dreamed we would all be able to marry and even though I have a partner of 17 years we don't want to be married either. I agree with Rupert. We were all about pushing boundaries sexually and even at 54, marriage seems way too heterosexual for me. Monogamy is not something we want to conform to even if we think it works for others. We didn't want children either. Love them but doesn't fit our lifestyle.

That all said; I wouldn't deny a frog and a chicken, or two frogs and a chicken to get married if they wanted to. Freedom means we all get to make our own choices. That I'm all for.

Posted by: Mitchell | Sep 30, 2012 8:08:58 PM

22. Why do so many people think queens represent all gay people. Queens are a very small minority of the gay population and we are embarassed to have them associated with us. There are also millions of gay people out there who are women and they get ignored completely when gay rights are discussed.

Posted by: IO | Sep 30, 2012 10:22:58 PM

23. @Nancy: Why do you call a gay man a "Queen'? Or "a silly old QUEEN"? What is the meaning of that?

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 30, 2012 10:27:25 PM

24. Andrew : Because that's what this is all about. Look at what Rupert is saying, the foundation of his criticisms :

"For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that's where my problems in this particular area come from."

Which has got to be the stupidest ideal, the most inane and nonsensical foundation to construct an identity upon, ever.

That isn't "gay", it's just a personality disorder based on unrecognized infantile reaction to personal hurt, blamed on an entire group of people defined by their sexuality.

He IS almost exactly what we criticize our enemies for being. Except they aren't hurt, they're just afraid.

This pathetic 70's caricature was never real for most of us, and it's no surprise that it has taken a long time to die it's grotesque and hideous death. But it must and it shall.

Good riddance, my beautiful disaster !

Posted by: "The Gay" | Oct 1, 2012 3:58:47 AM

25. I am just so tired of hearing celebrities say "Oh, my foot doesn't belong there, here's what I REALLY meant to say", and then just as often as not inserting the other foot.

Posted by: radioredrafts | Oct 1, 2012 4:27:04 AM