Film | Film and TV | Minneapolis | Minnesota | Video

BigGayDeal.com

The Only Cat Video In The History Of Cat Videos To Take The Grand Prize At A Film Festival: VIDEO

Henri

Thousands -- thousands! -- of Minnesotans showed up for the first-ever Internet Cat Video Festival in Minneapolis on Thursday. Many of them wore whiskers. From the New York Times:

The crowd — easily double what organizers expected — packed the lawn outside the museum, spilling onto the sidewalks across the street ... They all settled in for a screening of cats behaving badly, or cutely, or mysteriously, sometimes all at once. That much of the audience had already seen the clips on YouTube did not seem to diminish the enthusiasm. Quite the contrary.

“People watch them, and they watch them over and over and over again,” said Gretchen Sealls, 65, a retired banker who drove five hours from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. “I think you’re going to see a lot of copycat versions of this,” she added. “No pun intended.” ...

It is an axiom of Internet life that the cat video is king ...

... which is why when Katie Hill, an associate at Minneoplis's Walker Art Center, began crowd-sourcing cat videos online she received ten thousand submissions  "within months." These were whittled down to the just 79 that made the Film Festival's cut on Thrusday. Of those 79 outstanding cat vids, only one could win the festival's prestigious (?) Golden Kitty Award. That trenchant video is viewable AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. meow!

Posted by: V-8 | Sep 2, 2012 9:11:07 AM

2. meow!

Posted by: V-8 | Sep 2, 2012 9:11:08 AM

3. Apparently I have no love in my heart because I don't understand the world's obsession with cat videos.

Posted by: zeddy | Sep 2, 2012 9:21:19 AM

4. We of the Catiban must smite Zeddy. It's what God wants.

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Sep 2, 2012 10:25:54 AM

5. Zeddy, it's because cats are gods and it brings joy to our mortal hearts to see the gods frolic.

Posted by: enough already | Sep 2, 2012 10:36:30 AM

6. I always thought i was destined to be a crazy old cat guy but I see i'm not alone in my cat video obsession. NExt year I'm totally going to this!

Posted by: T | Sep 2, 2012 10:43:07 AM

7. road trip, T!!!!!!

Posted by: V-8 | Sep 2, 2012 10:57:24 AM

8. I've never really understood cat love, likely because there were a few creepy cat ladies when I was growing up. But I love this.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 2, 2012 11:28:25 AM

9. I was going to share this story because it was cute and I was a fan of the video. But I did not share this story because when I tried a POP UP AD kept popping up and blacking the Facebook share button.

I get that you need to make money but don't you also what people to spread the word about your cool site? Cause I can't - the pop-up ad won't let me.

dcj

Posted by: David C. Jones | Sep 2, 2012 11:48:30 AM

10. once human beings are extinct, cats will evolve and take over the planet.

Posted by: QJ201 | Sep 2, 2012 12:36:51 PM

11. QJ201, are you not paying attention!?! The cats didn't bother waiting for humans to become extinct before evolving and taking over the planet. The cats just went ahead with their plan THOUSANDS of years ago! :-)

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Sep 2, 2012 2:35:12 PM

12. Fruit for Peace You got it :) Feed me, Pet me, Love me. Now go away until I need you to change the litter box. purrrrrrr

Posted by: Paul | Sep 2, 2012 11:43:52 PM

13. J'aime Henri et les videos des chats. Ils sont purrr-fait.

Posted by: Kyle M. Sullivan | Sep 3, 2012 2:17:27 AM

14. That's so cool - I have the exact same "Attenti al Gatto" tile that Henri is staring at in the top photo! It's in my kitchen waiting to be tiled by my front gate :)

Posted by: Jack | Sep 3, 2012 3:01:50 AM

15. Thrusday?

Spell check, Brandon honey. Spell check.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 3, 2012 3:23:55 AM

16. My cat trained me very well, every time I go into the kitchen, she thinks it for her, and
    I wind up feeding her first. She can do no wrong. She's great company and I'll admit to her later that I watched this French cat video...

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Sep 3, 2012 8:19:48 AM