Baseball | News | Sports | Yunel Escobar

Toronto Blue Jays' Escobar Suspended 3 Games for Anti-Gay Slur, Will Donate Lost Salary to GLAAD, 'You Can Play'

Escobar

Toronto Blue Jays player Yunel Escobar, who took the field over the weekend with "Tu Ere Maricon" ("You are a faggot") painted in his eye black, will face a three game suspension and donate his lost salary to anti-defamation group GLAAD, and You Can Play, an organization dedicated to combating homophobia in sports.

Y_escobarHe will also undergo sensitivity training.

Said Escobar at a press conference this afternoon, through a translator: “I don’t have anything against homosexuals. I have friends that are gay...It’s just something that’s been said amongst the Latinos. It’s not something that’s meant to be offensive.”

If archived video becomes available of the presser, I'll be posting it later.

The Blue Jays released a statement: "The Blue Jays want to reaffirm that discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated. The club looks forward to supporting the efforts of You Can Play and GLAAD to help promote education for players and fans alike and to help keep language like this out of the game and society."

Said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick: "Today's actions show that MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays are committed to creating an environment that all fans and families can enjoy, not a place where discriminatory language and anti-gay attitudes are accepted."

Developing...

Comments

1. On top of being a homophobe, he also can't spell. It should be "Tu Eres Maricón" not "Tu Ere Maricon."

and @Paula... it is not like "like black people calling each other the n word," what it's like is white people calling other white people the n word. And don't hand me that crap about it having nothing to do with sexual orientation at all. Just like teenagers tossing around remarks like "that's so gay" and "he talks like a fag" it uses my sexual orientation as a put-down even if it's not meant that way. Saying that the word is derived from "Maria" does that make it any better? Why not just say "you throw like a girl?" The guy's a pig and he should go back to Cuba where his homophobia and sexism will be appreciated.

Posted by: Ozu | Sep 18, 2012 5:27:56 PM

2. I fear the You Can Play Project is becoming a band-aid just like GLAAD already is - say something offensive, and then go running to the organization for "forgiveness". If I where them, I would agree to educate Escobar but refuse the money.

Posted by: KP | Sep 18, 2012 5:29:38 PM

3. "...that you're coming from an uneducated, uncivilized society then you should just stop using your cute-word-of-my-community

uh...oh I hope I'm not seeing another Ratbastard on the horizen. Escobar is descended from Spaniards as well as Africans. He's a product of both of our races, Pommie.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 18, 2012 5:30:47 PM

4. Did he explain why he wrote that nasty word on his face? In the videos he comes across a dumb Latino jock. And speaking of morons what is Paula talking about- of course it's an offensive word-it means faggot. Don't use the it's just an ethnic thing excuse.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 18, 2012 5:34:58 PM

5. No, it's true. My Mom is Latina and she used to draw on my face with a crayon before school: MUTHAFUCKA CRACKA. It's part of our culture to write hate speech on our faces. Haven't you seen Westside Story for chrissakes?

Posted by: Marzee | Sep 18, 2012 5:36:23 PM

6. "I have friends that are gay...It’s just something that’s been said amongst the Latinos. It’s not something that’s meant to be offensive.”

Oh the "some of best friends are gay" and "I was only joking excuse"

I speak Spanish, and NO it is not something that is said among Latinos. When it is said is an INSULT and that needs to stop being OK to say.

So glad he will have to forgo some of his salary.

Is he ESTUPIDO? With so many pro athletes being fined for saying hateful things against gay people, don't these guys learn anything?

Posted by: FunMe | Sep 18, 2012 5:51:26 PM

7. Inexcusable.

Just like the Beastie Boys screaming out "F*ggot!!" at their concerts.

All parties knew (1) exactly what the f*cking word means; and (2) that it's a slur/slam/insult.

Posted by: basic standards | Sep 18, 2012 5:54:03 PM

8. so in the soccer example from Richardson-- that would be like American footballers saying to a kicker who missed a fieldgoal from close in ..."you are such a faggot, brother" and that would make it okay...and ...

it's not okay for Bill Richardson to call someone "maricon"..he can do that in the other countries he's talking about.

Posted by: Lupe | Sep 18, 2012 5:55:08 PM

9. Derrick: I meant society and not race Mr. Derrick. You can read the comment again if you want but if you still don't get it then read Sociology, you'll get the difference.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 18, 2012 5:59:24 PM

10. No, Funme, these guys don't learn anything. Sad, but they, and their fans, for the most part, will continue being ignorant. Perhaps this incident will be a change given how blatant it was. I will say post-Kobe and Noah anti-gay incidents in the NBA, that things have improved there. Things are getting better. Players are speaking out in support of our rights. But the fact of the matter is that sports is an anti-gay world and it's going to take a culture change to fix that.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 18, 2012 6:28:20 PM

11. I can't grasp why someone would take the time and energy to write something so offensive like this ON THEIR FACE.

Clearly he's 'muy estupido'

Posted by: omi | Sep 18, 2012 6:39:16 PM

12. Oh, so here's the "I have friends who are gay" excuse yet again!!!!!!!!! My, my, how many times has this excuse been used by homophobes in all walks of life, from sports to the music industry to the comedians.

Yes, I have friends who are gay. So did Hitler.

Posted by: jason | Sep 18, 2012 6:41:30 PM

13. "I have friends that are gay..." Not anymore you don't, you bigoted moron.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Sep 18, 2012 6:46:56 PM

14. Agreed, "maricón" definitely translates to being a pussy in this case but you are an MLB player being watched by an english speaking audience that is also backed by a very sensitive media culture. They shouldn't have suspended him but encouraged him to deliver a public apology for the misunderstanding and harm done.

Posted by: Ed | Sep 18, 2012 6:47:03 PM

15. I am sorry but this guy should be punished far worse than what he was. Suspend this jackass for the remainder of the season and hand over all that money.

Makes me so terribly pissed off. But I will just try to take comfort in the fact that, slowly but surely, more Chris Kluwe's, Brendon Ayanbadejo's, and Michael Irvin's are out there in the professional sports world replacing mental midgets like Escobar.

[My apologies if this is a duplicate post. I am unable to recall if I posted this prior to a phone call or not.]

Posted by: Wil in MSP | Sep 18, 2012 6:49:07 PM

16. BTW, Rick, you're more homophobic than most straight people. So your opinion is irrelevant. I will say, it's true, many straight people, many gays even, are apathetic when it comes to the livelihoods of LGBT citizens. Sadly. But you definitely underestimate the amount of people who are offended by this. I know you don't care, though, because it doesn't suit what you want to believe.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 18, 2012 6:51:58 PM

17. Poor Rick--so full of hatred for the feminine--and just can't stop projecting his self-hatred on the world around him. Very too bad. The only gay "friends" he would have would be self-haters like himself. And I would imagine he's closeted from any straight "friends" - if he has any.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Sep 18, 2012 6:56:20 PM

18. Y'all will be happy to know that Toronto, and all of Canada, has been blowing up over this. Our pride celebration draws millions every year. It's a city that not only has a thriving LGBT Community, but a very active ALLY community.

Toronto is a place where you don't want spout anti-gay rhetoric. The locals don't take kindly to bigotry.

This was the leading news story all day. Thank ya, Canada :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 18, 2012 7:04:03 PM

19. if it was 1930...i'd understand. but nowdays.... might be a lilttle stupid between the ears.

Posted by: duh | Sep 18, 2012 7:04:11 PM

20. Let him evole his experience!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Sep 18, 2012 7:05:55 PM

21. F this guy..

Posted by: R | Sep 18, 2012 7:09:13 PM

22. could be his closeted way of donating to a known gay charity.

Posted by: muffled | Sep 18, 2012 7:31:24 PM

23. @Rick Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Are you still here?

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 18, 2012 7:49:47 PM

24. Those lips of his would look great wrapped around my.........

Posted by: PDQ | Sep 18, 2012 8:45:25 PM

25. What an ass. I can not believe that the league puts up with this. He should be banned for ever.

Posted by: jjjj | Sep 18, 2012 8:47:42 PM