Anderson Cooper | News | Transgender

Transgender Activists Protest Anderson Cooper's 'Sensationalism': VIDEO

MandiCooper

Today's installment of Anderson Cooper's daytime talk show, Anderson Live, revolves around Mandi, a person who was born a man and claims that a hair loss treatment made him identify as a woman. Or woke a female identity. Or implanted a female identity. Something like that, maybe.

The official description of this seemingly far-fetched phenomenon reads thusly: "Mandi, who was born male, speaks out for the first time, claiming that a hair loss treatment caused him to become transgender. Mandi is joined by her ex-wife, Michelle, who opens up about how Mandi’s identity transformation has affected their son."

This scenario raises all sorts of problematic questions about transgender identity and its origins, and has definitely raised ire from the National Center for Transgender Equality. Executive Director Mara Keisling says Cooper's premise is "sensationalism" and spreads "misinformation".

Her statement:

All of us here at the National Center for Transgender Equality are surprised, saddened and disappointed that a respected show like Anderson Live would give credence to this type of sensationalism and misinformation. This segment is just another case of sensationalizing an already marginalized population plain and simple.

Kiesling continued by saying that though "Cooper and his team have earned a great deal of respect from trans people for their coverage of our issues," this latest endeavor "throw[s] all of that away." "They seem set on misinforming the public about the causality of trans identity," she said.

If you agree, NCTE is asking supporters to tweet the following message: "I share @TransEquality’s disappointment in @anderson for sensationalizing #trans lives. http://act.ly/62x #lgbt RT to #KeepAndersonHonest".

Watch a promo for Cooper's show AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. @Shawn: LMAO! Well played.

Posted by: RyanInWyo (formerly RyanInSacto) | Sep 13, 2012 3:57:52 PM

2. OK, not that I believe this guy suddenly became transgendered without any previous leanings toward it, but the hair replacement medication he was on has had MANY complaints against it from users, from erectile dysfunction to development of breast tissue (moobs). They claim the problems didn't go away when they stopped taking the medication, which (IIRC) blocks testosterone production.

Little Kiwi is right that this is very similar to the British guy who "suddenly became gay" after having a stroke. I didn't believe that one either.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 13, 2012 3:58:27 PM

3. Homo Genius,

I know you've probably never seen "Paris Is Burning"--but what about "To Wong Fu Thanks for Everything" or "Flawless" or "Kiss of the Spiderwoman?

Every transperson is not transsexual. If you are a transwoman who has no intention of getting rid of your penis, and you have sex with men. Then that makes you Gay as well as transgender.

There are transwomen who love their penises, have big ones, and will show you how well they can use it-- if you like.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 13, 2012 4:00:44 PM

4. And those who take issue with transpeople and trans activists are always cowards who can't show themselves.

DJ, don't be mad that transpeople have the balls you'll never know.

for real.

hating trans people won't make your life as an insecure homosexual any better ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 13, 2012 4:04:27 PM

5. LittleKiwi, i agree with you most of the time; but really, what is your obsession with calling people anonymous cowards? how do you propose they NOT be anonymous?

Posted by: Shawn | Sep 13, 2012 4:17:09 PM

6. Ugh - can we please stop giving attention to these attention-whore gender fails please?

I'm sick of reading about whiny trannies.

Posted by: Ginger62 | Sep 13, 2012 4:21:56 PM

7. Well, Ginger, at 62 years old I'd think you'd be more open-minded and understanding.

...can't stand mean senior citizens. You can't get them in the grave yard. They stick around forever.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 13, 2012 4:30:36 PM

8. Any commenters bad mouthing Transgender people need to be deeply ashamed. The T in LGBT is there for a reason and we need to embrace our Trans brothers and sisters more then ever. Transphobia is disgusting from anyone but especially from gay people. Educate yourselves. Your bigotry is embarassing.

Posted by: RMR | Sep 13, 2012 4:44:42 PM

9. Simple, Shawn - there are certain things that are only ever said by a certain brand of coward.

racist, transphobic, fem-phobic, misogynistic cowards who can only spew their bilious (and baseless) opinions from a place of complete anonymity. big boastful words from so-called men who treat the internet like a burqa.

that's the thing. they're not strong. they're not tough. they don't have spines. anonymity is what they need to say what they say. and that's pretty gosh-darn cowardly.

how to not be anonymous? click my name, yo.

werk.

love and support to our trans brothers and sisters. we're all in this together.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 13, 2012 4:44:47 PM

10. The people who started this whole mess DID NOT WATCH THE VIDEO because it was written before it aired. The people who are protesting haven't stopped to confirm whether what they think was said on the show was actually what was said. As a transgender person, I really wish these folks would stop over-reacting & take the time to actually watch the video & think about it before rushing off to get pissed. We have much more important things to focus on.

Posted by: TransSkeptic | Sep 13, 2012 5:21:16 PM

11. "The T in LGBT is there for a reason and we need to embrace our Trans brothers and sisters more then ever."

It is there because the Far Left (more often than not effeminate) activists who live and breathe activism (because they have no place in the social mainstream) promote an ideology of "gender-non-conformity" that is anathema to most gay people and anathema to the mainstream population of the country.

And they have damaged the credibility of the gay movement severely by embracing such an ideology and the gender-confused freaks who are its manifestation, undercutting our core message that gays are pretty much like everybody else and therefore deserve a place in the mainstream.

They are not our "brothers and sisters" any more than heterosexuals are.....or Bangladeshis or people who like vanilla ice cream or professional golfers.....and the sooner we all disassociate ourselves from them, the better.

Again, thanks to Anderson and to Don Lemon and to other visible gays in the media who have begun to create that distance. More power to them.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 13, 2012 5:23:04 PM

12. Is this some sort of performance art? "She" looks and sounds like a guy in bad sitcom pretending to be a woman.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 13, 2012 5:29:52 PM

13. I see a person seeking publicity on TV. Make that two people.

Posted by: anon | Sep 13, 2012 5:56:18 PM

14. This is America. You have to get used to the endless lies and excuses people use for being gay. I'm not sure why most gay Americans still don't have the balls to just admit they are gay or transgender. This is damaging our community and makes us ALL look stupid.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 13, 2012 6:16:45 PM

15. I'm all for media whoredome and attention seeking, after all, that's what being gay is all about, right ?

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Sep 13, 2012 6:34:20 PM

16. see? the "i hate femmes" crowd doesn't have the balls to put a face to their comments.

i suppose the good news is that they're such cowards in their day to day lives that their impact will be zilch.

werk!

hating transpeople won't change the fact that you're not man enough yet to be openly gay. stop being mad at them for having a bravery you're yet to know.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 13, 2012 6:47:25 PM

17. a lot of these hair growth products, like propecia, have tons of estrogen in them.... same thing with soy (soy milk, tofu, etc)...

at one point my testosterone was very low, and unbeknownst to myself, I could not eat soy products either (because of a health issue), and I had switched to soy milk years before... and my hair did get thicker, and I did gain tons of weight, specially in the lower part of my body.....

after removing as much soy as it is possible (u'd be surprised, everything has soy these days, it is the new corn syrup), and taking testosterone supplement, I have lost the fat in the lower body, gotten more muscle mass, etc... unfortunately my hair is thinning, but I'll gladly take that....

so I am not saying this guy is telling the truth (and I myself never got the realization I wanted to be a woman lol), but maybe he had low testosterone to begin with and the product exarcebated it?

and yeah, Andy Coop is totally jumping the shark....

Posted by: V-8 | Sep 13, 2012 7:10:35 PM

18. To my mind, Anderson has no claim to productively interview anybody of lgbt origin, he built a career on speculation & he was remotely attractive, if that's credulous then let him directly interview the millions of those on the downlow instead of his 'buddies'

Posted by: Gordon | Sep 13, 2012 7:39:57 PM

19. @Kiwi
    "how to not be anonymous? click my name, yo."

I clicked your name. There is nothing on your page that states your real name or otherwise discloses your identity. You are as anonymous as everyone else here, whom you attack using overtly sexist language. Since you aren't a coward, please tell us your real name and location.

BTW, if those pics really are of you, please consider some cosmetic procedures, because whatever you have now ain't werking.

You strike me as an intellectually stunted individual. You write like a 12 year old. Worse, your posts drip with sexism, as you equate "having balls" with courage and lacking "balls" with cowardice. In many other comments, you tell people who disagree with you that they are not real men.
    Your comments demonstrate that you are the most transphobic person on here.

Posted by: DJ | Sep 13, 2012 8:07:55 PM

20. Not sure about a respected show as he had Honey Boo Boo on the other day.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Sep 13, 2012 8:30:19 PM

21. Ok, I saw the show today and frankly I thought Cooper handled the subject and the guy very well. Personally I don't think the hair restoration medication (which he bought online and out of India) caused him to desire to be a women. Honestly, I think the guy has always wanted to be a women but was in denial. I say this because even tho', in his picture above he looks like a guy dressed as a women, he handled himself well and repeated over and over he had these panic attacks, fears over all these feminine feelings, which he had for years but were somehow enhanced by this drug. It seems to me he is using the excuse of the drug as a crutch to come out of the transvestite closet.

I've lived in San Francisco all my life and have known many transsexuals just through normal social circles. Some I have known for years and it is very few who have ever been able to fool me into believing they are not a man dressed as a woman. Not that they need to but if the real desire is to be female, at least for me, I would want to be as female appearing and acting as possible. So much so that my gender would never be questioned.

Growing up I remember guys would ask me if I thought I was a girl (because I was openly gay). The thought was the farthest thing from my mind. And yet I know transexuals who have lived their entire lives as women. I love being a man and love loving another man.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Sep 13, 2012 8:48:26 PM

22. Anderson Cooper being sensationalist? NOOOOO! I REFUSE to believe such a blatant lie!

Posted by: TedL | Sep 13, 2012 8:57:31 PM

23. NCTE is wrong, and this isn't the first person on TV to claim to have had a gender or sexuality change brought on in unexplained ways.

The brain is a complex thing, and to claim we know how it works, to rule out this person's claims (without listening and investigating) is arrogant, prejudicial, and not just a little defensive.

We don't even know what was in the "treatment".

Posted by: Randy | Sep 13, 2012 9:31:52 PM

24. I'm a hypocrite, a liar, a fraud.

Click my link, look at my blog, I'm anonymous, I'm a lair, a fake; I'm better than everybody else, and my opinion matters because I demand you reveal who YOU are !

Yup, I'm an a$$shole and a troll !

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Sep 13, 2012 11:00:33 PM

25. Thanks DJ for that cmnt. Kiwi realllllllly belittles anyone with a different opinion or life experience than him. He hates it. (I wonder if he's the youngest in his family as wellI as being the only gay one? Whatever, speculation.) Because hes SO RUDE and intolerant to divergent opinions I do in fact think of him as a troll now.

Posted by: Munro | Sep 14, 2012 6:44:06 AM